• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT: So ComicCon in NYC gives way to... SantaCon?

21 posts in this topic

I had the day off from work yesterday so the family decided to take a trip into NYC 'to see the Christmas lights'.

It seemed like a good idea and the weather was great!

On the way down, while driving past one train depot, we noticed about a dozen Santa Claus characters waiting on a platform and thought that was pretty funny.

Needless to say I had no idea about this SantaCon thing but it was great to see the city full of Santas.

I guess it's a yearly event where hundreds (thousands?) of Santas invade the pubs and bars and make it a very festive day and night!

I didn't get any pictures of the Santas but here are a couple from yesterday...

santacon.jpg

One gift that won't make it under the tree.

2011-12-11T020718Z_1346130384_GM1E7CB0SBA01_RTRMADP_2_USA.jpg

Next up... Occupy North Pole!

And I just wanted to share a couple more pictures...

wtc.jpg

WTC building in progress

stjohns.jpg

My wife took this picture and I think it's pretty neat. This was in the cathedral and my daughter was running in so fast to tell me something that it looks like a weird ghostly image.

aag.jpg

My daughter could not wait to go to the American Girl store so that's where we ended the day... she was thrilled by that place and it was worth the trip to see her so happy by it.

Now I'm ready for Christmas! :)

stjohns2.jpg

I've been here about 5-6 times before and I never tire of it... St. John the Divine. I'm not religious by nature but I just love it here!

I love this church. Well worth visiting. The size of the building and the massive

blocks that the church is built out of. Nicknamed St John the Unfinished.

Santa Con was great. I took the train in with perhaps a hundred Santas, but as we got off at Penn Station, we were joined by several other trains so that we numbered about 200 as we left the station. Completely unorganized, yet incredibly vibrant.

BTW- I strongly suggest any visitors to NYC add Bryant Park and the windows at Lord and Taylors(35th and 5th?) to their must do list. I was there last night and I couldn't believe the window display or the Winter Wonderland set-up in the park.

Rock Center is kool, but it is way too crowded. 50,000 people and no public bathrooms.