• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Official PROMETHEUS poster.

50 posts in this topic

:banana: Now I really can't wait to see this.

:popcorn:

official-prometheus1-500x740.jpg

And for those who don't know, this is a prequel to ALIEN.

I can't wait to see what Nolan has done with this latest Batman movie.

So, what is this movie about?

Is it the "origin flick" for the Aliens? Or is it something different? Reading about it, I see it's being pushed as a prequel, but it doesn't say anything about how it's tied in.

Im not sure? Could be different.... the origin of mankind? What if the Aliens were created as a counter measure to mankind? Kind-of a check to our balance? hm

hm

I've read somewhere that this prequel is supposed to explain the mystery behind the huge, mummified alien that Dallas, Kane, and Lambert came across in the alien ship; what was its purpose?

As far as H. R. Giger's involvement; I wonder if they'll stumble across this hieroglyph?

https://giger.com/gigerframeset.php

Can't wait to see this... :applause:

Yes, I have heard that too! What did they call him? The astronaut or somthing?

I see the homepage but not the hieroglyph?

Sorry about the link; the hieroglyph...

Hieroglyphics-main_1.jpg

I think it was supposed to be a prototype Alien movie poster as well.... hm

WOW!!!

That's awesome :o

Awesome!! :grin:

And they still say it's not an Alien prequel :taptaptap:

It's not an "Alien" Prequel, because there won't be any Aliens running around. But it will be connected to the Alien Movie because of the Space Jockey and the story behind that race, that somehow has something to do with the Aliens. Whatever that will be, maybe they created them. Ridley said in an interview once, that he was very surprised that nobody ever had the idea to make a movie about the Space Jockey and to explore, what he was all about. That's why he is doing it now.

Awesome!! :grin:

And they still say it's not an Alien prequel :taptaptap:

It's not an "Alien" Prequel, because there won't be any Aliens running around. But it will be connected to the Alien Movie because of the Space Jockey and the story behind that race, that somehow has something to do with the Aliens. Whatever that will be, maybe they created them. Ridley said in an interview once, that he was very surprised that nobody ever had the idea to make a movie about the Space Jockey and to explore, what he was all about. That's why he is doing it now.

There are rumors that the Aliens will get some screen time towards the end of the film. I'd be shocked and disappointed if they didn't at least make a cameo appearance. Same derelict ship, check. Space Jockey, check. Egg chamber, check. Aliens, we'll see. But I wouldn't bet against it.

Here is what Ridley said in one Interview:

I was always amazed that, I mean, I’ve only done two science-fictions, but I was always amazed that no one asked who the hell the Space Jockey was. He wasn’t even called the Space Jockey. During the film they started to call it the Space Jockey. I don’t know who started that one off. I always thought it was amazing that no one ever asked who he was, and why was he there? What was all that about? I sat thinking about this for a while and thought, well, there’s a story! And the other four [films] missed it! So, here it is...

...And this one does actually raise all kinds of other questions, because if someone could, a being, could be as monstrously clever to create something like we experienced in the very first one – I always figured it’s a weapon, and I always figured that [the ship in the first Alien] was a carrier of weapons. Therefore, who is that, inside that suit? That wasn’t a skeleton, that was a suit. And if you open up the suit, what do you get inside it? And why were they going, where were they going?

I was always amazed that, I mean, I’ve only done two science-fictions, but I was always amazed that no one asked who the hell the Space Jockey was. He wasn’t even called the Space Jockey. During the film they started to call it the Space Jockey. I don’t know who started that one off. I always thought it was amazing that no one ever asked who he was, and why was he there? What was all that about? I sat thinking about this for a while and thought, well, there’s a story! And the other four [films] missed it! So, here it is...

...And this one does actually raise all kinds of other questions, because if someone could, a being, could be as monstrously clever to create something like we experienced in the very first one – I always figured it’s a weapon, and I always figured that [the ship in the first Alien] was a carrier of weapons. Therefore, who is that, inside that suit? That wasn’t a skeleton, that was a suit. And if you open up the suit, what do you get inside it? And why were they going, where were they going?

I'm amazed they didn't do an origin story on the space jockeys too hm

I'm just happy Ridley Scott is making the movie :whee:

I was always amazed that, I mean, Ive only done two science-fictions, but I was always amazed that no one asked who the hell the Space Jockey was. He wasnt even called the Space Jockey. During the film they started to call it the Space Jockey. I dont know who started that one off. I always thought it was amazing that no one ever asked who he was, and why was he there? What was all that about? I sat thinking about this for a while and thought, well, theres a story! And the other four [films] missed it! So, here it is...

...And this one does actually raise all kinds of other questions, because if someone could, a being, could be as monstrously clever to create something like we experienced in the very first one I always figured its a weapon, and I always figured that [the ship in the first Alien] was a carrier of weapons. Therefore, who is that, inside that suit? That wasnt a skeleton, that was a suit. And if you open up the suit, what do you get inside it? And why were they going, where were they going?

I can't wait for this movie :banana:

I was always amazed that, I mean, Ive only done two science-fictions, but I was always amazed that no one asked who the hell the Space Jockey was. He wasnt even called the Space Jockey. During the film they started to call it the Space Jockey. I dont know who started that one off. I always thought it was amazing that no one ever asked who he was, and why was he there? What was all that about? I sat thinking about this for a while and thought, well, theres a story! And the other four [films] missed it! So, here it is...

...And this one does actually raise all kinds of other questions, because if someone could, a being, could be as monstrously clever to create something like we experienced in the very first one I always figured its a weapon, and I always figured that [the ship in the first Alien] was a carrier of weapons. Therefore, who is that, inside that suit? That wasnt a skeleton, that was a suit. And if you open up the suit, what do you get inside it? And why were they going, where were they going?

I can't wait for this movie :banana:

:banana:

Ridley Scott quoted about link to Alien and Prometheus...

"When the first Alien movie and Blade Runner were made, I thought that in the near future the world will be owned by large companies. This is why we have the Tyrell Corporation in Blade Runner, and Weyland-Yutani in Alien. They sent the Nostromo spaceship.

The Prometheus is owned by an entrepreneur called Peter Weyland, and is played by Guy Pearce. That’s the connection between the two films, and nothing more. Prometheus is a new film, a new world, and is full of new ideas. And of course new monsters as well."

Hmmm...

Guy Pearce in this and also another Sci-Fi movie coming out this year called Lockout. I hadn't seen this trailer for it before.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lrd67mpE8O0

Here's another trailer for it that reveals a little more detail.

N

"When the first Alien movie and Blade Runner were made, I thought that in the near future the world will be owned by large companies. This is why we have the Tyrell Corporation in Blade Runner, and Weyland-Yutani in Alien. They sent the Nostromo spaceship.

The Prometheus is owned by an entrepreneur called Peter Weyland, and is played by Guy Pearce. That’s the connection between the two films, and nothing more. Prometheus is a new film, a new world, and is full of new ideas. And of course new monsters as well."

Hmmm...

I don't see how he could say that is the ONLY connection when it is clear in the trailer that the ship that crashes is the same ship with the Space Jockey at the helm...and they clearly show the same room from ALIEN where Space Jockey is found.

N

Hmmm...

I don't see how he could say that is the ONLY connection when it is clear in the trailer that the ship that crashes is the same ship with the Space Jockey at the helm...and they clearly show the same room from ALIEN where Space Jockey is found.

I agree.

Here's what Ridley Scott has said in the past about this project (from Wiki)...

Scott set the story in the 2080s, 30 years prior to Alien - Weaver's character, Ellen Ripley, would not play a role; neither would the "original" Alien creature.[37] The film would explore the nature, origin, and "staggering civilization"[38] of the alien race of the space jockey, as well as the beings' fictional anthropogenic role in the origins of humanity on Earth. Such ideas were "partially" inspired by Erich von Däniken's writings about ancient astronauts.[1][37] Scott told the Hollywood Reporter, "NASA and the Vatican agree that [it is] almost mathematically impossible that we can be where we are today without there being a little help along the way... That’s what we’re looking at (in the film), at some of Erich von Däniken’s ideas of how did we humans come about."[1] Scott's prequel, which originally went through several drafts, featured a female lead character[39] and would also focus on terraforming and the fictitious Weyland Industries before its merger with the Yutani Corporation. Scott furthered that the original Zeta II Reticuli planetary system would be part of the prequel story;[40] and that the plot would also entail "technologically feasible" approaches and applications towards "near faster-than-light travel" which would play a key role.[36] "Time dilation and the effects of essentially de-materializing and re-materializing" also factored in the drafts.[36] Elaborating more, the director commented in an interview that "the film will be really tough, really nasty. It's the dark side of the moon. We are talking about gods and engineers. Engineers of space. And were the aliens designed as a form of biological warfare? Or biology that would go in and clean up a planet?"[41] He later added, "The cast find an establishment which is not what they expected it to be, it’s a civilization but what we find in it is very uncivilized behaviour."[38]...

...Scott downplayed the film's ties to the Alien franchise, saying "while Alien was indeed the jumping-off point for this project, out of the creative process evolved a new, grand mythology and universe in which this original story takes place. The keen fan will recognize strands of Alien's DNA, so to speak, but the ideas tackled in this film are unique, large and provocative."[47] In February 2011, Scott maintained that the film was not an Alien prequel,[48] but confirmed in December 2011, that the Space Jockey was still an aspect of the plot.[49] Fassbender stated the film would feature elements of Alien, saying "Prometheus is absolutely connected to Alien... There's a definite connecting vein."[50] In June 2011, Lindelof stated that he concurred with Scott's belief that the Alien creature had been "diluted" by the exposure it had received since Alien and did not want the film to be "burdened by all the tropes of that franchise with Facehuggers and Chestbursters". Lindelof stated that the film takes place in the same universe as Alien, but is not a story about the events leading into that film, saying "a true prequel should essentially proceed [sic] the events of the original film, but be about something entirely different, feature different characters , have an entirely different theme, although it takes place in that same world."[51] In July 2011, Scott stated "by the end of the third act you start to realize there’s a DNA of the very first Alien, but none of the subsequent [films]"[52] and called it "pretty organic to the process and to [Alien]",[52] but maintained a distinction between the two films, saying "we go back, we don't go forward."[52]

Oh no.... that just did it right there! This is gonna make some fan-boys mad but that little bit of info just pushed this movie into the top spot of must see movies of 1012! Even more so than Avengers... sorry but this tops it for me! :banana:

They didn't have movies 1,000 years ago :makepoint: