• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cheetah and His Everything Journal

1,085 posts in this topic

Fiction House coloring from this time period is quite unique in comics. I describe it as jewel-like as it seems inspired by colored gemstones like emeralds, rubies, sapphires etc. It also provides evidence of Whitman's ability to tackle any genre as he proves adept handling war machines and combat as he was with the jungle maidens.

Finishing up Wings today.

Wings 116

Wings116.jpg

Fiction House coloring from this time period is quite unique in comics. I describe it as jewel-like as it seems inspired by colored gemstones like emeralds, rubies, sapphires etc. It also provides evidence of Whitman's ability to tackle any genre as he proves adept handling war machines and combat as he was with the jungle maidens.

Finishing up Wings today.

Wings 116

Wings116.jpg

I've always thought Whitman's work on Wings amounted to a waste of his talent. His work on Jungle, Jumbo and Planet is some of my favorite covers ever and easily some of the best of those titles. His work on Wings seems far more cartoonish to me given the the technically precise of earlier covers.

I agree that the colors during the late Wings is unique. Far more purple and red than seen on other covers.

I've always thought Whitman's work on Wings amounted to a waste of his talent. His work on Jungle, Jumbo and Planet is some of my favorite covers ever and easily some of the best of those titles. His work on Wings seems far more cartoonish to me given the the technically precise of earlier covers.

Those other titles have the advantage of usually showcasing one or more females but I do think they are also more complex and interesting designs than Wings.

I agree that the colors during the late Wings is unique. Far more purple and red than seen on other covers.

The greens can be nice as well. :)

ManofMars1.jpg

Those other titles have the advantage of usually showcasing one or more females but I do think they are also more complex and interesting designs than Wings.

The greens can be nice as well. :)

ManofMars1.jpg

I'm not the first person to remark that this looks like a proto-Star Trek cover. You don't see that one come up for sale very often. I've been waiting around for a good copy but have yet to see one.

I didn't catch up on my catch ups this weekend so I'll go ahead and do one of my favorite Nedor titles, Exciting Comics. This is one of the titles that got me hooked on GA comics. First it was the air brush covers of Alex Schomburg, the the historical WWI covers, then the entire title, and then most anything GA.

Exciting Comics 1 - maybe the best looking book in my entire collection.

Exciting1.jpg