• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cheetah and His Everything Journal

1,085 posts in this topic

I like Wood's work on the EC comics but I've found myself liking Jack Davis' work the best. Lots of fun stuff in all the titles Gaines produced.

I think Jack was a much better horror cover artist and I doubt Feldstein or Gaines would disagree as they seldom used Wood for their horror titles. I had completely forgotten about the two ToC covers Wood did until seeing you post the scans. For the sci-fi genre, I prefer Wood's work.

Tales from the Crypt 30

This is a freakingly awesome cover. Can you imagine explaining this to a 5 year old at the drug store?

TFTC30FC.jpg

anyone know who handled the coloring for EC in this period? Jack Davis linework is amazing, but the muted colors are what sell the image. Was it Joe Orlando/ or some anonymous bullpenner?

anyone know who handled the coloring for EC in this period? Jack Davis linework is amazing, but the muted colors are what sell the image. Was it Joe Orlando/ or some anonymous bullpenner?

Marie Severin was doing the coloring at this time and it's when she was really starting to hit stride. As cheetah mentioned, EC had a stable of great artists so to have the work complemented by some of the finest color designs made for an astonishing array of output that, perhaps, has been equaled but has certainly not been bettered.

Time for some old-fashioned war comics, Fiction House's Wings Comics. A lot of great covers and an interesting evolution of covers as times and interests changed.

I'm nowhere close to complete on this title but it will still take a week to get through. Enjoy!

Wings 1

Wings1.jpg