• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A funny thing just happened at the Southold NY IGA

16 posts in this topic

So - I just went to my local IGA to get a rib roast. My favorite "butcher" is a former marine who collected comics and movie posters (from the Marines movie theater on base where he was stationed) and about 2 years ago asked if I could purchase the collection from him... which I did..

Anyway, I digress.. today happens to be his birthday so I decided to go say happy birthday to him..and I found him in the meat aisle at the IGA talking to a nice man and woman...

I snuck up behind him and grabbed his shoulders and said "HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! I should have brought you some Thor comics!" He started laughing..and I said "sorry to interrupt" .. and the woman who he was chatting with said "You collect comics?" and we said "Yeah..well we both do" and she said "Well he works for Marvel!" and we said "Whats your name?" and he said "Chris Claremont!" and our jaws dropped...

Anyway, for 20 minutes we chatted with him about the old days at Marvel, etc... wish I recorded that conversation..

While we were talking to him...an older gentleman walked up and said "I overheard you say you wrote for Marvel?" and Chris said "yes." and he said "My father used to write for DC - He wrote some of the Batman comics..and his name was Francis Herron!"

So Chris and my friend and I were just dumbstruck how in this meat section all this weird comic related stuff was occuring...well my friend and I more than Chris..

Anyway, I wish I had Chris sign my rib roast..thought that would have been pretty funny to scan for you all

So - I just went to my local IGA to get a rib roast. My favorite "butcher" is a former marine who collected comics and movie posters (from the Marines movie theater on base where he was stationed) and about 2 years ago asked if I could purchase the collection from him... which I did..

Anyway, I digress.. today happens to be his birthday so I decided to go say happy birthday to him..and I found him in the meat aisle at the IGA talking to a nice man and woman...

I snuck up behind him and grabbed his shoulders and said "HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! I should have brought you some Thor comics!" He started laughing..and I said "sorry to interrupt" .. and the woman who he was chatting with said "You collect comics?" and we said "Yeah..well we both do" and she said "Well he works for Marvel!" and we said "Whats your name?" and he said "Chris Claremont!" and our jaws dropped...

Anyway, for 20 minutes we chatted with him about the old days at Marvel, etc... wish I recorded that conversation..

While we were talking to him...an older gentleman walked up and said "I overheard you say you wrote for Marvel?" and Chris said "yes." and he said "My father used to write for DC - He wrote some of the Batman comics..and his name was Francis Herron!"

So Chris and my friend and I were just dumbstruck how in this meat section all this weird comic related stuff was occuring...well my friend and I more than Chris..

Anyway, I wish I had Chris sign my rib roast..thought that would have been pretty funny to scan for you all

What a COOL story!!!

Thank you for sharing - Merry X-mas :D

Cool stuff!

I found out a couple of years ago that a former customer of mine at a VW dealership is used to work at is none other than Dale Eaglesham's wife. I heard her calling my name at a con a couple of yeras ago...found out only at that moment. We had a good laugh. Great people as well :)

John's name came up when we were chatting about the X-Men..but there was nothing negative and Chris was a total gentleman and spoke positively about everybody.. We spoke mostly about the X-Men, Neal Adams X-Men comics...how Chris used to look over John Romita Seniors shoulder and watch him draw.. Barry Smiths early work and how it was so "new" and "different" and didn't really catch on until the early Conans..

I was too busy drooling to remember much

...another thing I just remembered..

They told me how he had all his early comics he had worked on all stacked in the basement..and the basement flooded and he lost them all! Then they moved what was left to a different place and put them near a steam vent and those got damaged too..

we should put together a "Claremont reader copy" collection together and send it to him..

...another thing I just remembered..

They told me how he had all his early comics he had worked on all stacked in the basement..and the basement flooded and he lost them all! Then they moved what was left to a different place and put them near a steam vent and those got damaged too..

we should put together a "Claremont reader copy" collection together and send it to him..

How many wet comics do you want? :acclaim:

That is really cool, especially since it was just an impromptu meeting. Claremont was my first comic book celeb I ever met, and one of my idols, since he was working on X-Men. Man, I was so nervous, it was total fanboy-ism.

...I just remembered something else! Perhaps someone here can shed some light on it..

Chris told me about a comic they were working on right before Kennedy was assassinated. It involved Kennedy meeting the members of the "team" (X-Men?) but I can't remember exactly which series it was.

He said he had an advance copy of the comic..but when Kennedy was shot, they yanked all the issues of the comic and it was never released. Chris gave his copy back too...

Does this ring a bell with anyone? What comic/issue this would have been and do any copies survive?