• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Theo's new professional grading service!

126 posts in this topic

Sha, I think the problem is that some people don't see "man(n) up" as degrading to women. If the company was called "Don't Be a P*ssy", which is basically the same sentiment as "man up", maybe they'd understand. Guys, using male imagery to denote strength and female imagery to denote weakness doesn't go over so well.

Most people don't see "man up" as being offensive to women and it's not meant to be.

Except for the vulgarity, I don't see why a woman would be offended by someone telling someone else "don't be a p*ssy" anymore than a man is offended by "don't be a d*ck".

You'd think the whole world would be up in arms every time the phrase "you're an a**hole" is used.

Because when you are dominant in society, you can poke fun at yourself and be merely regarded as self-deprecating. Defining weakness in terms of the feminine is sexist. It's a slippery slope and a hard one to appreciate without defensiveness.

Sha, I think the problem is that some people don't see "man(n) up" as degrading to women. If the company was called "Don't Be a P*ssy", which is basically the same sentiment as "man up", maybe they'd understand. Guys, using male imagery to denote strength and female imagery to denote weakness doesn't go over so well.

Most people don't see "man up" as being offensive to women and it's not meant to be.

Except for the vulgarity, I don't see why a woman would be offended by someone telling someone else "don't be a p*ssy" anymore than a man is offended by "don't be a d*ck".

You'd think the whole world would be up in arms every time the phrase "you're an a**hole" is used.

Have you ever heard a woman tell another woman not to be a D*?

I don't know a single female who would object to a guy calling another guy a D* (unless they are 90:) but calling a male a term, that describes a :"female" body part(P**)...and one used mostly by men, is saying that the male should not be acting like a female, same as "doosh". I don't know if and of the men here have ever have had the pleasure of using that kind of apparatus on themselves, but I doubt it...;)

A "hole' is perfectly gender neutral, lol, but again, not usually a term women use to refer to other women.

I think I need to post Burt again;) Although I've never complained about the zillion "boob" pictures, I got a bunch of notes telling me that just looking at him made some of the men here, queasy;)

I thought that was pretty funny...but I stopped posting him, because I certainly don't want to make people ill.

Having someone use the term "man-up" does not make me ill...but lol...it's NOT gender neutral.;)

If I were raunchy, I'd suggest another meaning for "mannup"...but then I'd have to explain further , so I won't.

P.S. I was never "offended"...just pointing something out...I've been one of the few women in mostly male dominated groups, since I was a kid,...I'm perfectly used to all the wording, and I can tell the difference when someone is being deliberately offensive, this was not the case, with Mitch, nor certainly with Cat..

Sharon, I wasn't trying to say or imply anything about you. I know you aren't easily offended or you would never be able to read a post in Comics General. I've seen many females call males "d*cks" in real life though, and seen females call females "d*cks" in movies. Lots of phrases to do with "b@lls" too.

My post was directed to injury2eye saying "man up" is degrading to women and comparing it with "don't be a p*ssy", which I completely disagree with. My saying "most" people don't see the phrase as degrading to women was in reference to injury2eye's "some people don't". I believe most don't see it in

a negative way towards women or it would not have been used (in Gold at least) by as many and as often as it has been. I know you understand this Sharon.

Hopefully I haven't been too much of a d*ck and please don't bring back Burt.

I don't know a single female who would object to a guy calling another guy a D* (unless they are 90:) but calling a male a term, that describes a :"female" body part(P**)...and one used mostly by men, is saying that the male should not be acting like a female, same as "doosh". I don't know if and of the men here have ever have had the pleasure of using that kind of apparatus on themselves, but I doubt it...;)

A "hole' is perfectly gender neutral, lol, but again, not usually a term women use to refer to other women.

I think I need to post Burt again;) Although I've never complained about the zillion "boob" pictures, I got a bunch of notes telling me that just looking at him made some of the men here, queasy;)

I thought that was pretty funny...but I stopped posting him, because I certainly don't want to make people ill.

Having someone use the term "man-up" does not make me ill...but lol...it's NOT gender neutral.;)

If I were raunchy, I'd suggest another meaning for "mannup"...but then I'd have to explain further , so I won't.

P.S. I was never "offended"...just pointing something out...I've been one of the few women in mostly male dominated groups, since I was a kid,...I'm perfectly used to all the wording, and I can tell the difference when someone is being deliberately offensive, this was not the case, with Mitch, nor certainly with Cat..

Sharon, I wasn't trying to say or imply anything about you. I know you aren't easily offended or you would never be able to read a post in Comics General. I've seen many females call males "d*cks" in real life though, and seen females call females "d*cks" in movies. Lots of phrases to do with "b@lls" too.

My post was directed to injury2eye saying "man up" is degrading to women and comparing it with "don't be a p*ssy", which I completely disagree with. My saying "most" people don't see the phrase as degrading to women was in reference to injury2eye's "some people don't". I believe most don't see it in

a negative way towards women or it would not have been used (in Gold at least) by as many and as often as it has been. I know you understand this Sharon.

I don't think MANNUP, at least on these boards, is used in remotely the same way as "don't be a p*ssy." I've really only seen MANNUP used in regards to paying a large amount of money for a book. At least that's how MM originally used it and that's mostly the use that was carried on by boardies. Essentially it's the same as saying "suck it up." WOMANNUP would carry the same meaning when speaking to a woman.

Also, Burt was awesome and should definitely come back. Guys need to be made queasy every once in a while.

I don't think MANNUP, at least on these boards, is used in remotely the same way as "don't be a p*ssy." I've really only seen MANNUP used in regards to paying a large amount of money for a book. At least that's how MM originally used it and that's mostly the use that was carried on by boardies. Essentially it's the same as saying "suck it up." WOMANNUP would carry the same meaning when speaking to a woman.

Also, Burt was awesome and should definitely come back. Guys need to be made queasy every once in a while.

Actually, man up (or mannup or however you wanna spell it) means pretty much the opposite of "don't be a p*ssy." The point is, there's a decent note of sexism in a lot of language like that. Equating being a man (man up!) with being bold, making the hard choice, doing the right thing no matter what the costs ... you see what I mean. It's not that people are consciously being sexist when they say it, it's just built into the terminology. Like saying something's gay: "Dude, that song is so gay!" You (or I or whoever) probably aren't trying to be homophobic when you say it, but there's homophobia in there none the less.

Actually, man up (or mannup or however you wanna spell it) means pretty much the opposite of "don't be a p*ssy."

No it doesn't. If you tell someone to "man up" or "sac up" that's the same as telling them "don't be a p*ssy, be a man". Maybe it's a regional thing, but at the very least they are synonyms.

It's kinda like "you suck", which is ubiquitous these days. When I was growing up, I was not allowed to say "sucks", I actually had to say "rots". Why is this? Because we all know, but just "forget" nowadays, that "you suck" started out as "you suck c*ck". Same with "man up", the actual two words aren't offensive but they imply so much more.

Is your entire plan to troll the boards and disagree? :popcorn:

If we go by the definition of trolling, you are actually trolling me. But not really, since I've only posted in three threads, and one is, as you know, very informative with money saving information. If you say I "disagreed" in that Journal thread you are correct, because that person is incorrect, as I showed. As you might also notice, I posted in this thread earlier today and am just now getting back to it.

So, ya gonna meet me over at the 3rd thread?

MANNUP: The story and definition

It originated between a conversation between me and Theo

. We were constantly bidding on various items and he hit a winning streak and breaking world records such as the highest price ever paid for a Original Pulp painting " the evil flame by HJ ward" and I came up short several times in a row. For example we never bid against each other, so when a auction comes out he will pick a item and I will pick one etc. We learned many years ago not to go against each other, which is difficult since we buy the same things with a few exceptions.

I kept getting out bid at last min about 6 times in a row, and he said to me, you gonna be a "man" and keep bidding no matter what. Now I kept hearing this for about one year....you gonna be a man...etc such that I was about to blow.

Finally, a item came up, we both wanted it, and he said you will not win this you will lose it in the last 30 seconds because you are not a man, you are a mouse etc.

Well, I did win it, called him about 30 seconds after, and before he could say anything it just popped out of my mouth...I did it, I Mannedup. Hence, Mannup came about

We have been using it ever since for years now.

In the context of the comic book world, I had never heard of it before in than way, I mannedup... not that way, I remember the song " I am a man" by the yardbirds, and " take it like a man etc, I do not recall ever hearing mannedup past tense before when winning comic books etc at a auction up to that point in my lifetime. I was excited to get the monkey off my back after all those months with a loss streak after challenging my manhood.

In the context of the comic book world, I had never heard of it before in than way, I mannedup... not that way, I remember the song " I am a man" by the yardbirds, and " take it like a man etc, I do not recall ever hearing mannedup past tense before when winning comic books etc at a auction up to that point in my lifetime. I was excited to get the monkey off my back after all those months with a loss streak after challenging my manhood.

smiley-greet006.gif Happy New Year, Mitch, ...

http://youtu.be/AzN0mMx-sJg

http://youtu.be/BF2FWhq2haQ

1ad64209.jpg

...and warmest wishes for 2012 to each and every friend I've acquired since actively joining the boards last year! :foryou:

Are you and Theo now claiming credit for inventing the phrase man up? I just want to be sure I understand.
That's what he said.

Here's an interesting article from the NY Times about "man up." Of course, since Mitch and Theo have changed the spelling (or changed the spellllling), perhaps they do have a legitimate claim to its invention.

Personally, I prefer "cowboy up."

NY Times article

Are you and Theo now claiming credit for inventing the phrase man up? I just want to be sure I understand.
That's what he said.

Here's an interesting article from the NY Times about "man up." Of course, since Mitch and Theo have changed the spelling (or changed the spellllling), perhaps they do have a legitimate claim to its invention.

NY Times article

My least favorite is grow up. That seems kinda boring. :insane:

That's what he said.

NY Times article

Alright, the NY Times agrees with my previous posts: "But man up isn’t just being used to package machismo as a commodity. Its spectrum of meanings runs from “Don’t be a sissy; toughen up"..."

smiley-greet006.gif Happy New Year, Mitch, ...

http://youtu.be/AzN0mMx-sJg

http://youtu.be/BF2FWhq2haQ

1ad64209.jpg

...and warmest wishes for 2012 to each and every friend I've acquired since actively joining the boards last year! :foryou:

Wow! Merry Christmas to you! :o A little advice... I wouldn't hang it that close to something that could blow hot air on it. I'd also be concerned about its proximity to the vent. :baiting:

1ad64209.jpg

Wow! Merry Christmas to you! :o A little advice... I wouldn't hang it that close to something that could blow hot air on it. I'd also be concerned about its proximity to the vent. :baiting:

That thing on the left is something that sucks ... in air. The one in the middle is the one I'd be worried about hot air from. :baiting: