• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My visit to the local comic shop......with pick-ups !

34 posts in this topic

As a new collector to the comic book genre, I thought I would pay a visit to my local comic shop today. I am ashamed to admit this is only my 3rd or 4th visit to the store that has been around for some 30 years or more. But anyway, I paid a visit today, the shop is owned and operated by a nice little old lady who is very knowledgeable about comics. When I first went in all I saw were newer comics and thought I may be out of luck for some classic comic novels. But I asked and the nice little ol lady was happy to pull several boxes from underneath the counter. As I looked through several boxes of silver age comics we discussed comics and any subject that came to mind. After about an hour I totaled up my findings and we parted ways. I probably overspent for most of the books, as they are not in the best shape, probably range from fair to very fine. But I had a good time and supported my local shop. Here are the comics I pulled, Some nice classic comics that I will probably actually sit down and read before boxing up.....................

TalestoAstonish93613.jpg

talestoAstonish83616.jpg

talesofSuspense89617.jpg

Avengers17614.jpg

talesofSuspense81618.jpg

TalesofSuspense75615.jpg

spiderman67619.jpg

spiderman63620.jpg

spiderman30621.jpg

spiderman27622.jpg

Those are awesome. I don't mind paying a little more when I can actually stumble onto something I want in person. It's worth it to actually hold it in my hand and have the excitement of buying a back issue I want right then and there. Cool finds!

My lcs regularly gets silver and bronze age books in stock which he prices below guide. I will always buy books in person that I wouldn't but from a thumbnail on ebay.

For me, the best thing about this hobby is going through boxes of old comics. Modern technology is great and it has definitely opened up the hobby, particularly for those of us who don't live in the US. But buying books in person is just the best IMHO.

I am just guessing I over-paid, I presume I could have bought most of these on E-bay for less.

But, I agree with you the experience accounts for a lot, and if anyone was wondering I paid $160 for all ten books and a storage box.

Well, the biggest upside for me shopping at my LCS is not having to pay shipping AND that I can see the books beforehand. Eh, you might have overpaid, you might not have - depends on what you're collecting. I've been collecting for a lot of years and sometimes you overpay simply because you want the book. No harm in that, that's part of the excitement of collecting, IMHO.

Nice haul, the two comic stores in my area gave up trying to stock back issues.

Sadly, mine has them stuffed tightly into drawers - I happened across a DD 168 graded as VF/NM for guide price, but upon closer inspection, it's spine has been beat up so bad - it's around a F now.

The little ol lady at the store had ASM 63 & 67 graded Fine on the sticker. She has probably been grading longer than anyone at CGC (lol). Even if I did pay more than I should have I figure everyone needs a few reading copies and some to trade.

The little ol lady at the store had ASM 63 & 67 graded Fine on the sticker. She has probably been grading longer than anyone at CGC (lol). Even if I did pay more than I should have I figure everyone needs a few reading copies and some to trade.

Welcome to the boards and the hobby.

Looks like you did ok. You really didn't pay much more than you would have

paid for the same number of moderns. There is tons of great reading there.

I've found that books are usually cheaper here and that most LCS can't match

prices thanks to their overhead. That being said I still buy back issues from

my LCS to support them and keep them in business.

you probably overpaid by a bit, though the 67 looks pretty good from here and the 63 would be nice if not for the tape pull...next time in, now that you're a "regular", nicely haggle a better deal. make her think you're her grandchild or something.

with that said, i think it's a good idea to support your local LCS if they aren't outrageously overpriced. i'm usually able to find something that makes financial sense in most stores i go to that stock back issues. my main shop tends to price at more than i am willing to pay for the stuff they bother individually pricing (they have a good dollar box though for everything else), but now and then something is a bit undergraded or not so common I don't mind paying closer to retail...like when my main shop got in some early ant man TTAs and priced them pretty reasonably or Strange Takes Annual 1 priced pretty fairly or $20 for an ASM 129 with a clipped coupon.

After this I may be inspired to do a low grade silver age ASM run(1-100).

I recommend it! I love my low grade beauties, and putting together runs is one of the most satisfying ways to collect. One word of caution, however; With Marvel, one title often leads to others! Those Hulks will start to look really good to you!