• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Curator FF's!

465 posts in this topic

both are beautiful books

teh curator ff1 has alot of creasing going on, hence the 5.5 grade

6 inch and 8 inch creases

I see the scratches in the O and U of "Four". Where are the long creases? I know there has to be something that's hard to see with the 5.5 grade and the way the book presents.

Hey all --

Looks like a few more appeared in the preview today or tonight --

#43 -- 9.6 w

#44 -- 9.6 w

#53 -- 9.6 w

#55 -- 9.4 oww

#62 -- 9.8 w

#67 -- 9.8 w

#92 -- 9.8 w

Looks like the entire 2-100 run will eventually be up, perhaps. I'm eager to see if some of the great issues/covers/keys will appear in the current gaps -- 7, 8, 16, 36, 37, 49, 51, etc.

Dan

both are beautiful books

I see the scratches in the O and U of "Four". Where are the long creases? I know there has to be something that's hard to see with the 5.5 grade and the way the book presents.

i think those scratces are the creases

from graders notes 6inch crease FC

8 inch crease BC

both break color

no individual grader's grades- apparently cgc dosnt give that info anymore

both are beautiful books

i think those scratces are the creases

from graders notes 6inch crease FC

8 inch crease BC

both break color

no individual grader's grades- apparently cgc dosnt give that info anymore

Ah, you got the notes. I was wondering what you were seeing that I couldn't, even with Heritage's super-sized scans. Makes sense now. Still, it's a great looking 5.5.

These books are absolutely nuts. Just added a #41 in 9.8 white and a #42 in (gasp) 9.2 white...perhaps a few more on the way?

I really want to see the 49 and 51, among others.

Dan

ps I also agree that Schmell and Brulato are going to go to town on some of these, either to upgrade their current copy (#31 in 9.8, anyone?) or to press/upgrade a few down the road. Should be fun to watch the fireworks on the many tough 9.8 copies. Bloodbath city.

What makes you think the books haven't already been pressed?

Nothing, but that won't stop Doug or Tom or someone else from pressing and resubmitting them again, perhaps multiple times.

Not sure if it has been mentioned yet, but the FF #1 still doesn't display Curator on the label. Pretty sure I know why--it's not from the collection. CGC may have mislabelled it in their system, hard to tell.

The Curator was primarily a DC collector; he told Hauser he had a near-complete Golden Age DC run. He was very knowledgeable about comics and went to the early cons, and he was buying Marvels just purely from a collecting/investing standpoint and putting them in his museum's vault. He also bought the Silver DCs, but those were already sold by the time Hauser met the Curator. He thinks Harley Yee bought a number of those but didn't catalogue them. I'm not sure whether or not he was reading the DCs and storing them in the vault.

A number of things don't make sense for the 5.5 to be owned by the curator. The main issue is that he told Hauser he didn't read any of his Marvels, yet the FF #1 CGC 5.5 in the auction shows definite handling/reading defects. I suppose you could argue that perhaps he read the very first Marvel that got the popularity going--but even that wouldn't explain the defects. He was a curator at a museum and used to the preservation of books. He preserved almost all of the books he bought about as well as is possible. He was also a back-issue collector and conscious even at that time that comics could have some value since he was paying above-cover prices for the Golden books he was buying. Even if he had read FF #1, wouldn't he have handled it fairly carefully? The odds are he would have.

But the main thing is what the curator himself told Hauser--that Jurgens never had the #1 available to him. That most likely means the #1 was another very nice copy Jurgens obtained somewhere else.

I agree -- I think Jurgens had it in his personal collection, but not from the Curator. It doesn't make too much sense unless the Curator had a few extra keys lying around. Maybe...

Anyway, it's a lovely 5.5.

Dan