• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1000 comics in 2012 book club

991 posts in this topic

3- Straight Arrow #1 (M.E., 1950) Ogden Whitney story not bad. Radio first?

4- Thun'da #1. (M.E., 1952) Frazetta. A work of art. Show this to people that don't understand comics.

5- Tick Tock Tales #1 (M.E., 1946) Good clean fun. Read it with your (younger) kids.

6- Blackhawk #45 (Quality, 1951) Crandall and Ward. One of the weaker Blackhawks I've read.

7- Four Favorites #1 (Ace, 1941) Not as memorable as some of the later Four Favorite issues.

8- Hi-Lite #1 (Ross, 194?) The highlight is Warren King on "Miss Shady". Horrible lettering on all stories.

9- Hit Comics #64 (Quality, 1950) Crandall on Jeb Rivers, Nordling.

10- Great comics #3 (1942) The cover story may be better than the cover!?!? The other stories ramble on with no direction.

11- Crack Comics #62 (Quality, 1949) Alice Kirkpatrick on Hack O'Hara? Nice, whoever it is.

12- Feature Comics #144 (Quality, 1950) I'm not sure Stunt Man Stetson is Crandall, but it is a classic child-endangerment story.

13- Smash Comics #85 (Quality, 1949) I still think this was one of the best GA books, top to bottom, beginning to end.

14- Blackhawk #107 (Quality, 1956) Dillin art was better than I remembered. All stories are about various Commie threats.

15- Military Comics #1 (Quality, 1941) Interrupted my Quality "Last Issue" readings to go back and read the first Blackhawk story. Origin much different than the text story recap in Blackhawk #107. Guess being Polish wasn't a selling point by 1956. Surprised they didn't retcon Chop Chop from being Chinese.

Ad man for Nabisco first. Straight Arrow was created specifically to advertise Nabisco's Shredded Wheat cereal. The radio show died in 1951 but was outlast by the comic book by 5 years! All the info you need here: http://www.otrsite.com/articles/artjf003.html

When all was done, I ended up going for a nice little stack of underground favorites Sunday. Lots of Gilbert Shelton in Feds and Heads, Facts of Life Funnies, Freak Brothers 2 and 5, Fat Freddy's Cat 4. Left Field Funnies, a great anthology book with Bobby London, Willy Murphy, Ted Richards, Shary Flenniken (Trots and Bonnie, :cloud9: ). Slow Death 2 & 10, Doctor Atomic 2, 3, 5, Cjheech Wizard "Schizophrenia. Harold Hedd 1 & 2, "Hitler's Cocaine" by the late great Rand Holmes, and I finished up with some serious perversion, The Checkered Demon 1 2 and 3 (Those weird arse sideways issues) by S Clay Wilson.

I had the pleasure of meeting Mr. Wilson a couple times at the Motor City shows a few years back, he is a seriously twisted old man in person too, lol LOL

Hung out with him and Spain a couple evenings, they're a pair of totally unrepentant old hippies. I like them!

Total for 2012: 69

When all was done, I ended up going for a nice little stack of underground favorites Sunday. Lots of Gilbert Shelton in Feds and Heads, Facts of Life Funnies, Freak Brothers 2 and 5, Fat Freddy's Cat 4. Left Field Funnies, a great anthology book with Bobby London, Willy Murphy, Ted Richards, Shary Flenniken (Trots and Bonnie, :cloud9: ). Slow Death 2 & 10, Doctor Atomic 2, 3, 5, Cjheech Wizard "Schizophrenia. Harold Hedd 1 & 2, "Hitler's Cocaine" by the late great Rand Holmes, and I finished up with some serious perversion, The Checkered Demon 1 2 and 3 (Those weird arse sideways issues) by S Clay Wilson.

I had the pleasure of meeting Mr. Wilson a couple times at the Motor City shows a few years back, he is a seriously twisted old man in person too, lol LOL

Hung out with him and Spain a couple evenings, they're a pair of totally unrepentant old hippies. I like them!

Total for 2012: 69

You made me look up The Checkered Demon and it's out of print :frustrated:

Finished Rucka's WW run and once again, a perfectly good series is ruined by the Crisis.

Land of the Dead - First two parter is caught up in the prelude Crisis junk but the next arc is decent just the weaker one of this earlier work.

Mission's End - Crisis junk. Max aftermath. Who cares. The final issue was really sweet with a walk down memory lane of WW and Supes relationship. Made it worth the pain of reading the entire tpb.

Cap #7

Punisher Max #21 - Frank going out with a bang, bang, bang

Frankenstein: Agent of Shade #1

Dead of Night (MAX) #1-4

Legend #1-4

Dynamo 5: Sins of the Father #1-5

Butcher, Baker, Candlestickmaker #1-6

Superboy #1-11

Scalped #51-55 - penultimate story arc before Jason Aaron completely disappears into the bowels of Marvel :cry:

Last few days, I've caught up on Amazing Spider-Man -- the last 5 issues of the Spider Island story arc (meh) and the Vulture issues and Sinister Six issue that followed (those were better, but not really caring for how Slott is reinventing these villains to make them more hardcore deadly badasses, especially when it involves just slapping a more high tech suit of armor on them). Also read the new issue with Black Cat yesterday. Always have enjoyed Daredevil / Spider-Man team-ups. Read the new Ultimate X-Men 6 that came out yesterday as well. REALLY enjoying all of the new Ultimate lines.

Ad man for Nabisco first. Straight Arrow was created specifically to advertise Nabisco's Shredded Wheat cereal. The radio show died in 1951 but was outlast by the comic book by 5 years! All the info you need here: http://www.otrsite.com/articles/artjf003.html

Thanks. Not bad for an ad...

16- National Comics #75 (Quality, 195x)

17- Modern Comics #102 (Quality, 195x)

18- Plastic Man #52 (Quality 1955) Only one new Plastic Man story, and it isn't by Cole. This one might a hung around a bit too long.

19- Adventures of Rex the Wonder Dog #25 (D.C. 1956) Why not?

20- Police Comics #102 (Quality, 195x) Was still a pretty good read at the end.

21- A-1 #8 (M.E. 194x) Does anyone have a complete copy of this book? Both mine and the one on DCM is missing two centerfolds.

22- Planet Comics #67 (Fiction House, 194x) All reprints by this point. Fun reads and nice art, but nothing that sticks with you.

23- Great Comics #1 (Great, 1941) Very forgettable.

24- Mopsy #10 (St. John, 1950) Still fairly funny, and the art is beautiful.

25- Four Favorites #20 (Ace, 1945) Nina Albright couldn't draw ankles/feet.

26- Fighting Yank 23 (Standard, 1948) Is this all by Mort Meskin?