• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1000 comics in 2012 book club

991 posts in this topic

Over the last two weeks I've read:

Sandman 32-36

The Boys 31-62 (e-comic marathon while I was in the field)

The Boys: Herogasm 1-6

The Boys: Highland Laddie 1-6

The Boys: Butcher, Baker, Candlestick Maker 1-6

Total for 2012: 61

Last night's reading:

Criminal Deluxe Hardcover

Reprints Criminal V1 1 through 10, V2 1 through 3

Seriously good storytelling by Ed Brubaker. Recommended.

Total for 2012: 86

Here's the update for the second week...

Action Comics #5

Animal Man #5

Detective Comics #5

DMZ #37 - #72

OMAC #5

Stormwatch #5

Suicide Squad #4

Swamp Thing #5

Teen Titans #4

The Cape #3

The Ultimates V5 #5

Wonder woman #4

Before Scrooge roasts my nuts again for not commenting... I finished DMZ and I must admit that I thought the last year dragged a bit. The series could easily have been 15 - 20 issues shorter. Not saying that I didn't like it, but I sometimes I had the impression I was being run around in circles.

The first two years were really good, so if you start with a bang it's sometimes hard to follow.

47 comics added.

Before Scrooge roasts my nuts again for not commenting... I finished DMZ and I must admit that I thought the last year dragged a bit. The series could easily have been 15 - 20 issues shorter. Not saying that I didn't like it, but I sometimes I had the impression I was being run around in circles.

The first two years were really good, so if you start with a bang it's sometimes hard to follow.

:cloud9: Roasted nuts. Chestnusts, that is.

See, that's all I have been saying about DMZ, there is "fat" in the back-half of the series that is evident to someone reading it straight and was agonizing to me as I was reading it month to month. I did like the trial issue and the final issue is something that Wood is excellent at. At the very least, it ended on two strong notes.

Finally had time to read after 9 hour work days... :applause:

Keeping the ball rolling with the continuation of reading select Spidey "Bronze Age" goodness with:

Amazing Spider-Man (Vol. 1) #s 151, 152, 160, 162, 176, 200, & 201

So, this A.M. I got a very nice gift from my wife, who I had chatted with about my rereading of all the Asterix stories, and lo and behold she had talked to one of our friends at the LCS and came home with a hardcover compilation of five Five FIVE! late

Asterix stories that I didn't own. Huzzah! Great reads all.

Total for 2012: 96

And I'm heading for the garage for the afternoon, built a fire this A.M. and it's nice and toasty out there. Time for a couple monster screwdrivers and a big ol' stack of GA and SA goodness, grabbed at random from those two stacks of recent accumulations sitting on the work table in the basement. I'll give a full report later, say...after the first football game...

So, this A.M. I got a very nice gift from my wife, who I had chatted with about my rereading of all the Asterix stories, and lo and behold she had talked to one of our friends at the LCS and came home with a hardcover compilation of five Five FIVE! late

Did you get "Asterix in Belgium" ? :D

Hmmm... failed to keep track last year, but pretty sure I made the goal. This year I'm gonna just make short critiques/synopsis of each thing. Maybe then I can have an accurate record...

Crack Comics #63 (2011-10)... Yeah, yeah, I know... 2011, WTH????!!!? Well, this is a new book (October 2011) from Image. It really has the feel of a golden age book (and the HEFT, at 64 pages), from the Alan Weiss "Jack Davis-esque" front cover and first story, to the very vintage feeling The Clock story by Paul Maybury, to the vintage-LOOKING Red Torpedo story. Best 5 dollars I've spent in a LOOOOOOONNNNNGGGGG time :D

Morning Glories 1-14... Finally broke down and read this one yesterday. I am really enjoying it! I actually thought this one would be kinda stupid, and the covers didn't do anything for me, but a friend recommended it, so I sat down with it, and all I wanted when I finished was... More!

Orbiter GN... Great! don't want to say why I loved it, but will say that I recommend it to anyone who thought we should've been on other planets already. A sci-fi lover's delight.

Outlaw Nation 1-19... Pretty good tale, satisfactory ending, some great characters.

That's it so far...

Did you get "Asterix in Belgium" ? :D

Yes indeedy! Got the first 25 books in individual volumes, Asterix in Belgium was the last one of the series I owned.

Here's what I read this afternoon in the garage, between bouts of organization and football:

Sergeant Fury 5, 6, 7, 8

Little Lulu 166 (Giant from 1963)

Adventure 431 ((First Fleischer/Aparo Spectre)

Tales to Astonish 27, 58 (27 courtesy of a recent buy from Comicalgems. Thanks!)

Jimmy Olsen 72

Metamorpho 1

Daredevil 27

Warlock 7, 8 (1973)

Strange Tales 178, 179, 180, 181

Warlock 9 (1975, continuation of Starlin's watershed S.T. series above)

Black Hood 12 (Golden age)

The Furys and Warlocks were pulls from my collection, the rest were a handful pulled at random from the pile of recent acquisitions sitting on the worktable in the basement,

I intend to polish off the Starlin Warlocks tomorrow along with a few more Furys, and mebbe read another Black Hood G.A. beauty. If the football games don't keep my interest I'll probably grab another random handful from the stack.

Total for 2012: 115