• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1000 comics in 2012 book club

991 posts in this topic

I doubt if I will get to 1000 comics, but I am trying to read more comics. So far this year--

Daredevil 120

FF 162

Captain Midnight 51, 67

Special Marvel Edition 15-16

Master of Kung Fu 17

ASM 22-27

So my tally is 13.

I was pleasantly surprised by the SME 15-16 and the Master of Kung Fu 17. I've owned them forever, but I never actually read them before. I really enjoyed the Starlin art.

Been busy reading Rucka's run on Wonder Woman. Three trades in and two more to go. Great stuff and highly recommended. First two trades are a slow go but pays off in the third.

Down To Earth 195-200

Bitter Rivals 201-205

Eyes of the Gorgon 206-213

Y'know, I believe I'm going to have to take a hack at this project this year. It's leap year, if you manage to read a mere three comics a day that's a thousand plus durned near a hundred to spare, so that's my goal: average of 3 comics a day.

Here's a question for the crowd: do items like the Asterix graphic novels count as comics?

If so then I'm in with a good splash, New Years day and the day after I reread the first 25 stories (All that I have on the bookshelf, I'm missing at least five, maybe more that I don't know about)

Add in Avengers 2 and Fantastic Four 4 and that's a not-bad start for the year.

SO. Do the Asterix GN's count?

You can divide the page count by 24.

I was pleasantly surprised by the SME 15-16 and the Master of Kung Fu 17. I've owned them forever, but I never actually read them before. I really enjoyed the Starlin art.

MOKF is one of my favorite Bronze Age reads.. really enjoyed reading the entire series over a few weeks. So many good artists on that title, with the Gene Day issues being my favorites.

Lots of new faces this year who are joining in. Hope y'all stick with it till December, even if you don't make it to 1000 comics. It's the journey not the destination (thumbs u

Anyway, first week is up so here's what I read this week :

Annihilators Earthfall #4

Batman The Dark Knight #4

Batman #4

Catwoman #4

Daredevil #7

Demon Knights #4

DMZ #1 - #36

Iron Man 2.0 #11

JLI #4

Kick V2 #6

LOSH #4

46 comics added.

I went into the series with no idea what to expect. I was thinking it would be something like the Escape from NY movie, but it wasn't. I read the first few issues and the next day couldn't wait to read the rest. Really interesting and well thought out political issues. Sometimes the political themes are a little heavy handed (the election arc) but I really like the ordinary citizen making do angle. After the first 25 issues or so I did feel it dropping off a little, but I'm still liking it enough to read all the other issues I have. Would have liked to see more of The Ghosts of Central Park though.

No idea this was a finite series, without spoiling it too much, was the end already thought out when the series started or did it get canceled due to lack of sales or somethim?

No, the series ends on the creators' terms and it was more or less thought of originally as a closed-end story-line, very much like Y, the Last Man. You will revisit briefly with The Ghosts of Central Park as they hold a key element to the back half of the story, element which will help precipitate a resolution to the DMZ / NYC's situation. I have been harsh on the series in a thread in the Modern forum ... but I might have been too harsh. I never liked the series as much as when the focus was on the city and what happened to it and when Matty took down Trustwell.

Y'know, I believe I'm going to have to take a hack at this project this year. It's leap year, if you manage to read a mere three comics a day that's a thousand plus durned near a hundred to spare, so that's my goal: average of 3 comics a day.

Here's a question for the crowd: do items like the Asterix graphic novels count as comics?

If so then I'm in with a good splash, New Years day and the day after I reread the first 25 stories (All that I have on the bookshelf, I'm missing at least five, maybe more that I don't know about)

Add in Avengers 2 and Fantastic Four 4 and that's a not-bad start for the year.

SO. Do the Asterix GN's count?

You can divide the page count by 24.

Righto, that seems fair. 48 pages per volume, so my count for the year is 52.

It's a lazy Sunday hearabouts, so it's laundry time. I'll be heading to the basement Crypt of Comics this afternoon for a readfest while the washing machine goes chugarug. I'll let you know what I dug into later on.

I want in too! :cloud9:

I read a lot of European comics so I'll divide the page count too when I think it's necessary.

I haven't read comics yet this year (I was reading 1984), and I doubt I'll make it to 1000, but it's always fun to see what you guys are reading.

I'll be reading a few books tonight so hopefully I'll make up for the lost time!

I'm in this year! Just set up my ticker - 12 read so far.in 2012. Holiday issues, new Ultimate titles (the new Ultimate Spider-Man is surprisingly good), and several Archies (including the vs KISS issue 2).

Mainly want to do this to both motivate me to read more of the books I buy, whittle down my huge stack sitting waiting for me, and see exactly how many comics I can actually read in a year. Gonna be tough though as I expect I'll be moving across the country at some point mid-year. That's gonna disrupt the works for several weeks I expect.

Ok, and we're off.... :banana:

Let's see if I will make it this year.

Late start as I just returned from a Orlando holiday. But with fighting a jetlag it's a good idea to start.

Got the following to start my 1000 list

0001 Resurrection Man 3

0002 Birds of Prey 3

0003 Red Hood and the Outlaws 3

it's a long way...