• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1000 comics in 2012 book club

991 posts in this topic

Up to 41. Trying to hit a lot of the nuDC stuff piling up on me...

(thumbs u Action 2-5 (Entertaining enough. Issue 5 was best of the bunch to this point. Great re-imagination of Krypton's destruction and Kal-El's adoption by the Kents, including making the rocket itself a character in its own right. Plus, kudos to the surprise appearances at the end of the issue. Loved that, as you can see from my sig books!)

:):wishluck:Legion of Super-Heroes 2-5 (Love my Legion. Many of the classic characters I love are in this one. Enjoying the read well enough, but as with most all Legion series the past couple decades, just doesn't capture those same warm fuzzies for me as when I was a kid. Oh well, hope it gets better as it goes along.)

(shrug)Legion Lost 2-5 (I'm a sucker for Legion characters, so I appreciate the read here. Enjoying it...I suppose. But I'm not really feeling it overall. Maybe I'm just not as attached to these particular characters, except for Timber Wolf.)

hm (thumbs u All-Star Western 1-2 (Didn't originally pick this one up. But kept seeing all the great reviews and kudos, so curiosity got the better of me. I can understand the high marks. But the art leaves a lot to be desired for my tastes. Was admittedly one of the better of the NuDC titles though. Still, unless the art gets a bit tighter, probably won't be a keeper for me after I finish this initial story arc.)

:cloud9::acclaim::luhv:Life With Archie 15-16 (This series is just so damned shockingly good! In my Top 3 from last year. And kicking off 2012 on the same excellent note - the Kevin Keller wedding issue. I can't praise this series enough. Bold adult storylines for Archie characters. Highly suggest anyone to pick this one up from the beginning.)

Another ten down, giving me a year to date total of 72, but i'm sure I've read 1 or 2 more (shrug) I'm at work at the mo so will have to check when I get home

Batman #713

Batman: the Dark Knight #3 - 4

The Cape Legacy edition

The Cape #1 - 2

Luther Strode #1 - 2

Marineman #3

X23 (Vol 3) #12

Just remembered the other one I've read :facepalm:

Near Death #2

That makes 73 in 15 days which is an average of 4.9 a day, so I would say I am well on track. In fact at this rate I should be closer to 2000 for the year, to be more accurate 1750 :eek:

While I am able to, I really want to read as much as I can as I know there will be days, weeks and months where I will most likely read nothing. :cry:

Today's lazy day reads:

Sergeant Fury 9, 10, 11

Warlock 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, finishing off Starlin's classic 1976 run

Little Audrey and Melvin 1

Captain Storm 16

House of Mystery 177

Brave and Bold 86, Batman and Deadman by Neal Adams, hoohah!

Journey into Mystery 106

Not Brand Ecch 3

The Fox and the Crow 81

Rocky and his Fiendish Friends 5

Marvel Team Up 4

Total for 2012: 133

5 more today, so up to 46 for 2012 so far....

:applause: (thumbs u :headbang:Batgirl 1-5 (Surprisingly fantastic read from Gail Simone! Fresh take on classic Barbara Gordon Batgirl. And Ardian Syaf's art is exactly the style I love, and complements Simone's writing perfectly. I should say that I was prepared to hate this title because I LOVED Bryan Q. Miller's version before this. However, lo' and behold, this easily turned out to be the best of the NuDC titles I've read to this point, pushing the rejuvinatedly fun Aquaman into second. Very much looking forward to more of this incarnation of Batgirl from Simone & Syaf hopefully for years to come.)

Today's lazy day reads:

Sergeant Fury 9, 10, 11

Captain Storm 16

House of Mystery 177

Journey into Mystery 106

Not Brand Ecch 3

The Fox and the Crow 81

Marvel Team Up 4

Love the variety (thumbs u

27- Thrilling #62 (Standard, 1947) You buy these for the Xela covers, sometimes you get decent stories, sometimes not.

28- Blue Bolt v1 #5 (Novelty Press, 1940) Simon & Kirby. Rest is fair at best.

29- Jungle #163 (Fiction House, 1954) I read this on Saturday, and don't remember a darn thing about it.

30- Four Favorites #22 (Ace, 1946) These are fun.

31- Jumbo Comics #167 (Fiction House, 1953) Who drew Cortez?

32- Jungle Comics (unknown #) A coverless copy I need to try and ID.

33- Rangers #69 (Fiction House, 1953) Commando Rangers and Robert the Bruce stories interesting, others not so much.

34- Fight Comics #75 (Fiction House, 1951) OK. This was always my least favorite Fiction House.

35- Wings #91 (Fiction House, 1948) Ghost Squadron story the best.

36- Planet Comics #66 (Fiction House, 1952) More reprints. Still my favorite cover of the title.

37- All Good #1 (Fox, 1946) Not a bad mix of stories, but obviously not enough to sustain an ongoing series.

34- Fight Comics #75 (Fiction House, 1951) OK. This was always my least favorite Fiction House.

:sumo: I don't know. Jungle ... Could be worse too. Could those Schomburg airbrushed covers à la Thrilling you just read ...

:sumo: I don't know. Jungle ... Could be worse too. Could those Schomburg airbrushed covers à la Thrilling you just read ...

I'm moving on to Fox next, but I'm going to hit the mid 1940s era books on my next swing through Fiction House. I'll let you know if I change my opinion. These late period books all seem to run together (except for Planet, but those were early 40s reprints...).

I'm moving on to Fox next, but I'm going to hit the mid 1940s era books on my next swing through Fiction House. I'll let you know if I change my opinion. These late period books all seem to run together (except for Planet, but those were early 40s reprints...).

I meant Jungle Comics is normally worse than Fight.

I read a Smash from 1946 yesterday ... I didn't think / find it superior to FH of the period. Somehow though I really enjoy Daffy as a strip in addition to Midnight and Black X.

Today's lazy day reads:

Sergeant Fury 9, 10, 11

Captain Storm 16

House of Mystery 177

Journey into Mystery 106

Not Brand Ecch 3

The Fox and the Crow 81

Marvel Team Up 4

Love the variety (thumbs u

Heh, I'm old enough to be a throwback to the days when the newsstand was LOADED with different genres of comics...and everybody had a few, and they got passed around from one kid to another, and everything was grist for our mills.

Toss me a couple westerns, a Turok or two, some Little Lulus, a few war books, some Justice League and Fantastic Four, throw on some Archie and a few Charlton hero books, mix well with a nice little stack of Harveys, Donald Duck, Bugs Bunny, Avengers, THUNDER Agents, three or four Classics Illustrateds and a handful of Strange Tales and I'm one happy camper!

Oh, and some X-Men and Green Lantern and Flash and Magnus Robot Fighter and Journey Into Mystery and Mighty Samson and Stumbo the Giant and Tales to Astonish and Showcase and Inferior Five and Mighty Mouse and Doom Patrol and Captain Atom and Wonder Woman and Chilly Willie and Tarzan and Silly Symphonies and Tomb of Dracula and Herbie and Batman and Spider-man and Huey Dewey & Louie and Hawkman and Young Romance and Jonah Hex and Swamp Thing and Plastic Man and Canteen Kate and World's Finest and .....

Well, you get the idea.

It's all about the stories and the art.

(Catrick thinks about the many thousands of comics he's managed to read over the last 50+ years, along with everything else he's read in his life for pleasure or enlightenment, and is well content)

It's all about the stories and the art.

+1 (thumbs u

This is the list of the books I've read in the past week.

Strange Tales #s 111-114 + Annual #2

(Counting 111-114 as 2 and Annual #2 as 1)

08st111.jpg09st112.jpg

#112 was really good. Its a great story about sacrifice and doing the right thing even if everyone around you thinks youre just a clown.

10st113.jpg11st114.jpg

12sta2.jpg

Shazam #15 (100 pgs. but still only counting this as one.)

13s15.jpg

From Beyond The Unknown #16

14fbtu16.jpg

Strange Adventures #s 10, 226-229, 234-236

I took a stack of these S.A. with me(except #10) to San Francisco to have reading material in the hotel room at night. I loved reading these. They're reprints of the older Strange Adventures and Mystery in Space.

15sa10.jpg16sa226.jpg

17sa227.jpg18sa228.jpg

19sa229.jpg20sa234.jpg

21sa235.jpg22sa236.jpg