• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Greatest comic ever?

88 posts in this topic

Superman vs the Amazing Spider-man #1

Superboy & the Legion of Super Heroes treasury where Lightning Lad and Saturn Girl get married (can't remember the issue #)

Superman vs Muhammad Ali

The Infinity Gauntlet 1 - 6

Amazing Spider-man #193 - 200 (200 being the best and the climax of the series).

Amazing Spider-man #90

Avengers Annual 7, Marvel Two in One Annual #2

Superboy & the Legion #258 (last Superboy issue)

Amazing Spider-man #269/270 (Spidey Firelord battle)

could probably come up with some more, if I tried, but Office Space is on...

Well, the greatest comic ever, is probably Action #1, with Tec #27 a close second. But that is if you are sticking to the wording of your question: (what is the greatest comic ever?).

If you really meant: What is the greatest comic book story ever, then there are different answers.

I am very fond of the FF 48-50 storyline. Also DD #7. Killing Joke, Dark Knight and Watchmen.

But, the single greatest "comic book "story" ever, IMO, is Amazing Fantasy #15, with The Dark Knight Returns coming in second. Then Watchmen, Killing Joke and DD #7. The Death of Captain Marvel is a tear jerker.

But, I don't read comics much.

Hey folks...

My ten year old asked me a good question today: what is the greatest comic ever? This question is wide open, as greatest could refer to value, artwork, story, character, etc. Since this is entirely subjective it seems like the best way to determine it would be by poll.

My knowledge of comics is fairly niche-specific, so before I open a poll I'd like to open this to suggestions for contenders.

So, that being said, what is the one book you feel is the greatest comic ever?

I'll give this a couple of days and select the top 15-20 candidates (assuming I get enough responses), which I will then put up as a poll.

Thanks!

interesting question that im gonna answer as if u asked if i was on a deserted island and only got to choose 1 comic book to have with me. that comic book would be:

the squadron supreme:death of a universe(ok so its a graphic novel, but still just one comic book)

:whee:

Reading the original post again and thinking about this - I would have to say the comic that probably had the biggest impact would be FF 1. Why, because it was the start of Marvel as we know it. Close behind FF1 would be AF 15 and X-Men 1 because they were the beginning of the biggest comic franchises.

Best single story arc would be Days of Future Past (UXM 141-142) (closely follwed by the Dark Pheonix Saga, Hell Fire Club - great run of UXM stories)

Best stand alone comic - Killing Joke

Best character IMO - would be wolverine (thus Hulk 181 as a comic with a big impact)

Best max series - Watchmen

(thumbs u

And I loved this books stories, especially the final one..

1090137.jpg

Superboy & the Legion of Super Heroes treasury where Lightning Lad and Saturn Girl get married (can't remember the issue #)

:cloud9:

vs. the Khund horde! great book.

As far as the Korvac saga goes, i'm partial to What If 32. In a similar vein, What If 29 is great, too.

Greatest comic of all time would probably be Action 1, even though the Zatara story is a bit weak and the Chuck Dawson, Pep Morgan & Scoop Scanlon tales are eminently forgettable

I like comics that inspire me to create. I got a copy of Light Comitragies recently and it blew me away. I doubt many people would be on board, most people have probably never heard of it. To me it's a masterpiece by my favorite underground artist.

lig3.1a.jpg

Difficult to identify a single issues, but the criteria I would say is those comics or stories you read again and again and enjoy them every time - and I'm pleasantly surprised someone agrees with my 1st choice... my top 5 would be

1. Saga Of Swamp Thing Annual no.2 - -script & art flows so beautifully, first read as a 13 year old in 1985 and it never fails to engage me....

2. Judge Dredd Apocalypse War or Necropolis - John Wagner & Carlos Ezquerra at their most compelling - DC & Marvel could learn a thing about 'events that mattered'

3. Miracleman Books 1 & 2 - obviously

4. Sandman - Seasons Of The Mist - and much of the series apart from the right on feminist bit

5. Swamp Thing no.34... again, 1st read as a 13 year old, I didn't understand but I knew it was good

I want to read more...

Other than a run of Daredevil v2, I've probably read less than 5 Marvel Comcs in 30 years...

any recommendations?

I like comics that inspire me to create. I got a copy of Light Comitragies recently and it blew me away. I doubt many people would be on board, most people have probably never heard of it. To me it's a masterpiece by my favorite underground artist.

cvr_LightComitragies-1.jpg

that would be this: http://sirrealcomix.mrainey.com/page/l/cvr_LightComitragies-1.jpg

:roflmao:

:roflmao:

lol Ok, fixed hopefully.

And I loved this books stories, especially the final one..

1090137.jpg

Without a doubt, the best anniversary comic ever, of any series. Greatest comic ever? Well, the quality of the innards is pretty high, in my opinion. It depends on your personal criteria and your gut instinct.

I'll throw Mad #1 out there as a candidate.

5. Swamp Thing no.34... again, 1st read as a 13 year old, I didn't understand but I knew it was good

This was the first story that came to mind on reading the question, simply because it's so masterful in the way the -script and art conjoin. It's breathtaking and eye-opening, etc.