• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Greatest comic ever?

88 posts in this topic

I'm going with this one:

FC386.jpg

The pacing is perfect, the characterisation of Scrooge is funny and poignant and the last page is one of the best you'll find.

I just read it again yesterday. It's hard to choose the greatest Barks comic, so I went with the first. (thumbs u

Superman vs The Amazing Spider-man Treasury

DC meets Marvel in a gigantic super-sized edition!

SupermanVSTheAmazingSpider-Man.jpg

Who did the cover to this one? I know it was Infantino layouts, and Supes looks like Neal Adams...but is it Ross Andru?

I'd go with a Carl Barks as well, though my pick might vary from day to day. "A Christmas for Shacktown" or "Ghost of the Grotto" would also work just fine for me.

I'm going with this one:

FC386.jpg

The pacing is perfect, the characterisation of Scrooge is funny and poignant and the last page is one of the best you'll find.

Actually, I have a broad-spectrum interest in comics across all Ages,  and so this is a very difficult question.  I find it impossible to remain fixed on a single answer, having been collecting too long and having read far too many brilliant comic books.  There are simply too many parameters involved for just the one book to stand out so clearly. (shrug)

Who did the cover to this one? I know it was Infantino layouts, and Supes looks like Neal Adams...but is it Ross Andru?

Ross Andru with Neal Adams ink assist on the cover

How would this even be a legit fight? Is Spiderman gonna hide a little kryptonite surprise in his pants for Superman? :grin:

How would this even be a legit fight? Is Spiderman gonna hide a little kryptonite surprise in his pants for Superman? :grin:

Its an excellent story actually. Lex Luthor and Doc Ock are in the same prison. They escape, and Luthor sets one of the heroes up against the other (can't remember, I think he grabs MJ, making it look like Superman, but it might have been Lois). He bathes Spider-man in invisible Red Sun radiation and he kicks Supes but for a while, until it wears off. The two heroes then team up against the villains. Lots of fun.

I got a chance to talk to Neal about this cover and he said he helped Andru a bit with

that superman. He said that the anatomy was off and he didn't want to ink it until it was correct.

That's one of the things I liked about Andru's art, his imperfections,

just how I like, in turn, Neal's art as a perfectionist.

What an awesome combo.

Interesting that there are a lot of annuals nominated so far.

Hard for me to choose, but I guess my pick would be...

great-fourcolor9.jpg

Yep, this is one of my most memorable Barks' work, even though Jack Hannah did about half the pencilling.