• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How do you rebuild a complete comic of OA?

41 posts in this topic

I agree with Hari:

If you're going to put a book together, let it be a book that really means something to you. It's a committment of both time and money, so you really should be feeling great with every page you assemble.

As for folks that have a page of your project that they just won't give up, make a note of where that page is, and if it's one of the last few pages you need, most folks won't stand in your way of working out something for it. I've been on both ends of the spectrum in this issue...I've let go a page or two in order to help someone out, and I've been helped out by others...

Usually all you have to do is outlive other collectors to eventually own it all, so take your vitamins, eat right, exercise, and keep looking... :)

I think it comes down to whether you are really want to put the book together or if it would bejust nice to put the book together.

I definitely fall on the side of believing that more people are on the side of trying to squeeze out every dollar they can out of every transaction and philanthropy or down right reason is the exception rather than the rule when it comes to most collectibles - OA is no exception.

That said if you fall into category A) of really wanting to put the book together than I hate to break it to anyone but you are going to have to overpay / trade through the course of the Quest (and it really can by Arthurian [sic] to complete the book). The trick is to not overpay for every page :idea: - in the example quoted I'd step on the side of caution as there are still 7 pages out there. As was previously mentioned, you know where it is and it is more than likely not going anywhere. Over time one of three things will usually happen.

1) The owner of the page will realize that you are the best buyer to maximize what they can get for the page.

2) You will begin to acquire other pages and the allure of the page will go up as it will represent one of the few remaining pages - you will offer more as the page is now worth more (probably to you and you only)

3) You will become frustrated as no new pages emerge and seek to obtain this page to eek closer to completion. In this scenario you usually end up offering more, but still less than in option one.

And

4) Its the last page you need ---- time to mortgage the house, or at least sell the car. :grin:

I've been attempting to put a book together for the past few years. I really have no illusions about this: I'll likely go to my grave without completing it.

Of the 18 pages (including cover), I've put together 6 (including the cover). So I have 12 interior pages to go. I know the whereabouts of 3 of those pages. They're owned by three different collectors. One is willing to trade his first page splash for a page of similar quality. One said he'd sell me his page "eventually". And the third said he'd put a note on the page instructing his heirs to give me first crack at it at current market value. lol

But never say never. The owner of the cover had NEVER sold or traded any of his artwork, but one day out of the blue he contacted me and offered to sell it to me... and at a reasonable price.

I have no idea where the remaining 9 pages are located, but the hunt is a big part of the fun. I enjoy a good mystery.

I had someone once contact me for two pages of mine from a modern comic they were trying to complete, they are now the last two he needs.

He offered me over double what they were worth. And I have declined, and will continue to decline.

Why?

They were both gifts for my Birthday. One from my mother, one from my girlfriend. They planned it together to get me both pages, and they look wonderful n my wall.

I will never part with them. I don't need the money, and can't see myself needing the money any time soon, either.

My point is, no matter how much it means to you, and how much the other person offers, some of the pages just are not for sale, and you better be willing to accept that.

I will never part with them. I don't need the money, and can't see myself needing the money any time soon, either.

My point is, no matter how much it means to you, and how much the other person offers, some of the pages just are not for sale, and you better be willing to accept that.

I was wondering if 'the other side' would come out and comment. Anyone else?

Please note: I'm not taking a shot for you holding on to your pages. In fact I think it's good to get a reasoned counterpoint out into the discussion.

As someone whose trying to put a couple of books together myself, a splash of cold water now and again is probably good to keep my head straight.

Andrew

This thread really blossomed out a lot more than I had anticipated! The opinions on both sides have been very helpful but I have finally come to the conclusion that it would just be "nice" to put together this particular book and not so much a real "grail" for me. The book I was trying to put together was Gen 13 #1 volume 3. Not a big name book per say, but at the same time Ale Garza is a great artist and this is the first book of the series. I managed to accumulate 14 of the 23 pages and it looks like Romitaman has at least one more if anyone else wants to pursue this book. If anyone is interested I put the pages in a sales thread here on the boards:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=5365577#Post5365577

I think what Wolf is saying is that some people decide to be completely ignorant sometimes. Please don't take this the wrong way, but to say that you would NEVER sell them seems to be a bit close minded. There are SO many pages of original art out there I'm sure other pieces would look great on your wall too. I can completely understand it from your point of view, I also have pages that I wouldn't sell for 4x market value because I like them so much. But there does come a time where things must be let go. I'm a firm believer in not taking art to my grave.

I can see this from both sides which really helped. I have one or two pages I never intend to let go but if something happens somewhere down the line I know it won't be a hard decision between eating or keeping a roof over my children and selling a page.

I'm a big fan of Gen 13. That might be a little odd for some, but it's just the book I grew up reading so I want to hold on to it a bit. I have a page from Deathmate Black. Something like the 5th page where Fairchild was ever drawn and the first time she was drawn in her real form. I also have a Jim Lee Divine Right page I got directly from Scott Williams that I will cherish for the rest of my life. Again, these two have sentimental value as much as they do monetary and would take a lot of prying to get out of my hands. The Gen 13 pages I just put up for sale are from the third volume in the series and not as close to my heart although still really clean artwork.

I think what Wolf is saying is that some people decide to be completely ignorant sometimes. Please don't take this the wrong way, but to say that you would NEVER sell them seems to be a bit close minded. There are SO many pages of original art out there I'm sure other pieces would look great on your wall too. I can completely understand it from your point of view, I also have pages that I wouldn't sell for 4x market value because I like them so much. But there does come a time where things must be let go. I'm a firm believer in not taking art to my grave.

The pages aren't worth quite enough to justify selling to get something else.

My point is, I would not sell something that two people who care for me, took their time to pick out, and give to me as a gift. I love the pages, and love the thought behind them.

It seems in very poor taste for me to sell something that was a gift, and that I really love. There ate other things I could sell first. If it was any other piece than the gift, I would be very open to it.

Also, throwing in the fact that if I did, I would have a very upset mother and girlfriend (possibly wife) when I did it.

I'm also on the other side of this equation, I have a full issue of art, minus 1 page. That page is sitting on the wall of a group of guys who have a comic podcast, who were drawn into the page. I sent them an e-mail saying if they ever part with it, to please give me first crack. I would never expect them to, but on the off chance I wanted to let them know I had the rest of the issue.

The only annoying thing is they never responded.

Also, throwing in the fact that if I did, I would have a very upset mother and girlfriend (possibly wife) when I did it.

My girlfriend would be perfectly happy if I did... As long as I spent the proceeds on her! lol

I'm also on the other side of this equation, I have a full issue of art, minus 1 page. That page is sitting on the wall of a group of guys who have a comic podcast, who were drawn into the page. I sent them an e-mail saying if they ever part with it, to please give me first crack. I would never expect them to, but on the off chance I wanted to let them know I had the rest of the issue.

The only annoying thing is they never responded.

It never hurts to ask again.

I mean I understand where your coming from, but would your significant other really be THAT mad? Sure, the thought, sentiment behind the gift and all that, but when it comes down to it, its just a "thing", it's not something they made its something they bought. And like Claudio said, it never hurts to ask again. I've been in a similar situation and persistence can pay off.

I mean I understand where your coming from, but would your significant other really be THAT mad?

She would be furious. It's the gift she is most proud of ever getting for me. She spent a lot of time figuring out what to get me.

Let me present to you a few other "possible" scenarios here:

-You get a divorce, and that sweet "gift" from beloved significant other, now happens to be a reminder of your now mortal-enemy-of-courtroom-battles.

-Same scenario as above, but now she took it in the divorce settlement just to make sure you don't enjoy it.

-You pass on, relatives sell it.

-You leave the hobby, redecorate the house, or just get tired of looking at it on the wall after the 10-year house redecoration.

-You put it in storage, don't pay the bill, and "Storage Wars" comes across it.

And if you think that nobody sells gifts given to them by loved ones, let me remind you of the very first piece of original art I ever bought:

In 1978 comic artist Alex Saviuk got his first professional assignment for DC, it was the cover to Secret Society of Super Villains #16 (where they fought the Freedom Fighters. The cover was unpublished as the book got cancelled, but was then published in Cancelled Comic Cavalcade.).

It meant the world to Alex that he was now a professional, so when he got the cover art back, he gifted it to his parents, and inscribed the UPC box with the words:

"To my Momma and Poppa, with love, your son Alex".

His parents framed it, and hung it proudly on the wall over the kitchen table, where it hung for about 20 years.

I contacted Alex and asked if he knew where the cover to that comic was, and Alex told me the story of how he gifted it to his parents and how they would never get rid of it for a million dollars, but he'd ask them.

So in a conference call, I listened in as Alex explained that I was looking to buy the cover art, and would they be interested in selling it?

"For how much" they asked?

I then stepped in and said, well, it's worth about $200 on the open market at this time (this was accurate for the market in the late1990s), how about $1000?

Alex's dad replied: "GREAT! We can use the money for a window repair we've been meaning to do and then take the rest towards a vacation and build some new memories!"

Alex was shocked and said, 'But Mom, you've had that hanging in your kitchen for the last 20 years...it'll be so different without it"

Alex's mom replied: "Don't be silly, we can make a color copy of it and put that in the frame, you'll never know the difference!"

This is but one of MANY similar stories I can tell you, so my point being:

Just be patient, there is ALWAYS hope to eventually obtain a piece that is currently "not for sale and never will be", as I own a million things that people have told me they would NEVER, EVER part with...

My girlfriend would be perfectly happy if I did... As long as I spent the proceeds on her! lol

I am with you...my wife is very pleased whenever I make a nice profit off of something, even if it is from her. (She also says I have too much stuff.)

I was lucky enough to win 11 pages of OA from Gen 13 (vol 3) out of a bankruptcy auction a couple years back and since then I've managed to find 4 more pages. Right now the money in these pages is affordable but I'm down to knowing of 1 page for sale and they want more than what I really want to pay for it. With 8 pages still missing and it not being extremely important to me (I can definitely think of other stuff to spend my money on), should I contact the seller and try to bargain a price and buy it one way or another and hope the other 7 show up eventually or sell it all off? I think it would be a really cool thing to have a complete comic but this was just being in the right place at the right time. I would really like to hear what this group thinks. Let me hear it. :)

Sorry, I'm late to this thread, so apologies if I'm repeating replies you've already received (which I don't particularly want to trawl through) . . .

First off, by your own admission, you don't seem to have much enthusiasm for the artwork you're attempting to piece-together.

That being the case, why bother?

It just sounds as though you're collecting for collecting's sake (if that makes sense?).

In my experience, dealers see more of a profit in breaking-down complete books or stories - so I very much doubt that completing this book will give you much of a return on your outlay.

You'd be better off investing your time and money into something that holds more emotional or aesthetic appeal to you.

I've actually bought a number of complete books of artwork during my time, but sometimes the hunt is often more satisfying than the kill.

Currently, I'm trying to piece-together a storyline that holds a great deal of nostalgic and artistic appeal to me. I know that I'm ever unlikely to collect all 48 pages that comprise the storyline (I'm currently at 15 pages), if they've all managed to survive.

But I'm just happy to land as many examples as I can . . . and the hunt is keeping me happily focused and on my toes.

If it's a complete book of art you want to buy, and are not particularly fussed about what you want, I have a complete 1940s EC Picture Stories From World History (2nd issue) available for sale.