• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How do you rebuild a complete comic of OA?

41 posts in this topic

I was lucky enough to win 11 pages of OA from Gen 13 (vol 3) out of a bankruptcy auction a couple years back and since then I've managed to find 4 more pages. Right now the money in these pages is affordable but I'm down to knowing of 1 page for sale and they want more than what I really want to pay for it. With 8 pages still missing and it not being extremely important to me (I can definitely think of other stuff to spend my money on), should I contact the seller and try to bargain a price and buy it one way or another and hope the other 7 show up eventually or sell it all off? I think it would be a really cool thing to have a complete comic but this was just being in the right place at the right time. I would really like to hear what this group thinks. Let me hear it. :)

I was lucky enough to win 11 pages of OA from Gen 13 (vol 3) out of a bankruptcy auction a couple years back and since then I've managed to find 4 more pages. Right now the money in these pages is affordable but I'm down to knowing of 1 page for sale and they want more than what I really want to pay for it. With 8 pages still missing and it not being extremely important to me (I can definitely think of other stuff to spend my money on), should I contact the seller and try to bargain a price and buy it one way or another and hope the other 7 show up eventually or sell it all off? I think it would be a really cool thing to have a complete comic but this was just being in the right place at the right time. I would really like to hear what this group thinks. Let me hear it. :)

I'd say you have your answer right there. If there's other stuff you'd rather spend your money on, then do so.

But with 15 out of 23 pages shouldn't I pursue it at least? I'm tempted to put them up on ebay as one big lot or talk to a dealer about a trade maybe for one or two pages I'd rather have.

Well, I don't know anything about Gen 13, so I can't speak to the value of the pages, or how that value would change if you have them all to sell as a lot. But barring any windfall to be gained from assembling the whole comic, what's the appeal? I understand that you've got some sunk costs here, but it's dangerous to use this as a basis for future decisions, if you know what I mean. In other words, if there's something more valuable to you (either monetarily or just enjoyment) than getting more pages of this one issue, then what you've already spent shouldn't influence your decision.

I'm with Speedy-D on this one. Sure, owning a complete issue/story is nice, but like a single page, if you don't have any attachment to the story it's just something your waiting to sell when the true prize comes along. But, unlike the single page which you've already sunk money into, you're looking to spend more money on this.

No idea what the issue entails, but will a buyer pay a premium for the complete issue? Are there buyers collecting pages from this series/storyline/writer/penciller/inker?

It's a nice ideal, but let someone that REALLY likes the issue put it back together.

You want a complete issue of a random book? Mike DeCarlo sells them all the time for cheap :baiting:

And I just posted a 5 page FRAGGLE ROCK story for sale :baiting::baiting:

But with 15 out of 23 pages shouldn't I pursue it at least? I'm tempted to put them up on ebay as one big lot or talk to a dealer about a trade maybe for one or two pages I'd rather have.

If you are tempted to part with them now, then I have to say overpaying for one more page.

Thanks guys I was heading in this direction and I think you've helped me reach a decision. I'll probably let the latest page I purchased get here sometime this week and then sell it to chase something bigger and better. :)

2 things:

Point 1: Letting people know you are trying to put a book together is not a good idea. Many, if not most people in the hobby will really try to help you out on the chance they run across a page from an issue you're trying to reassemble. Unfortunately others will actively seek out and try to buy those pages in hopes of holding them over your head for much more than market value.

Point 2: Dealers (who are good at making money) often buy and then break up books to sell the pages individually. They seem to think it maximizes profit. Likewise many of the collectors who see complete stories for sale will buy them only to keep the best pages for themselves while selling off the others.

I agree with these, but I think if you're really serious about putting a book together then you have to make sure that (1) the book matters a lot to you personally, (2) that you're willing to pay increasing amounts per page over the years, and (3) most importantly that you'll be in the hobby for at least 10 years, if not longer. It takes years of committment and patientce and "staying power" to complete books from the 60s, 70s and even 80s that have already been broken up. I would also add (4) that in many of these cases, some pages may have been destroyed or are truly lost forever, and so you'll also have to be comfortable with the fact that 9 out of 10 attempts of completing a book will never ever materialize.

Given all this, I'm a believer that you should let people know what book you're looking to get. For me, it's Iron Man 154, the first book I ever read. Not an important book to anyone but me, I suspect. The problem of having someone trying to get as much out of you for a page from this book is a good problem to have, compared to the alternative. At least you know where the page is and can make your own decision about whether it's worth it or not to continue.

2 things:

Point 1: Letting people know you are trying to put a book together is not a good idea. Many, if not most people in the hobby will really try to help you out on the chance they run across a page from an issue you're trying to reassemble. Unfortunately others will actively seek out and try to buy those pages in hopes of holding them over your head for much more than market value.

Point 2: Dealers (who are good at making money) often buy and then break up books to sell the pages individually. They seem to think it maximizes profit. Likewise many of the collectors who see complete stories for sale will buy them only to keep the best pages for themselves while selling off the others.

Point 1 - pretty much the reason I haven't gone into any more detail as to which book it is I have.... :shy:

I would say that I agree with most things that have been said. The only problem with completing a book is that one of the pages you are seeking may be owned by someone who will NEVER sell it. Lets be honest here, I think most people have that one page that they would never sell, and unfortunately some people are too attached to a page to sell it.

I can understand that point about not letting others know that you are trying to put together a book, but for the sake of an example I'll divulge my own hunt. I'm trying to complete issue 48 of the walking dead. Although the comic came out only 3 - 4 years ago, it can be very difficult to locate pages. As of now I own 4 out a possible 24 pages (which really isn't that many). I own pages 3, 4, 5, and 16a. Page 6 was bought by a fellow collector on CAF, and I inquired about the page, offering the owner twice what they paid for it. I was given no reply back, only to see the page framed on his CAF page a short while later. I'm sure that at some point I may be able to purchase the page, but it will most likely be for stupid, stupid money. I honestly don't mind paying more than market value for the page because it's an issue that I truly enjoy reading and I know that I'll be in this hobby for the rest of my life.

I would say that I agree with most things that have been said. The only problem with completing a book is that one of the pages you are seeking may be owned by someone who will NEVER sell it. Lets be honest here, I think most people have that one page that they would never sell, and unfortunately some people are too attached to a page to sell it.

I can understand that point about not letting others know that you are trying to put together a book, but for the sake of an example I'll divulge my own hunt. I'm trying to complete issue 48 of the walking dead. Although the comic came out only 3 - 4 years ago, it can be very difficult to locate pages. As of now I own 4 out a possible 24 pages (which really isn't that many). I own pages 3, 4, 5, and 16a. Page 6 was bought by a fellow collector on CAF, and I inquired about the page, offering the owner twice what they paid for it. I was given no reply back, only to see the page framed on his CAF page a short while later. I'm sure that at some point I may be able to purchase the page, but it will most likely be for stupid, stupid money. I honestly don't mind paying more than market value for the page because it's an issue that I truly enjoy reading and I know that I'll be in this hobby for the rest of my life.

Maybe you should offer up another page of Walking dead in exchange and work from there? Then again if he won't even respond it's kind of hard to get anywhere....

Tried offering a page I had, that was actually purchased for more than the page, but the offer was declined. I don't really mind that much, it makes owning it down the road that much more better in my opinion.

Having a piece framed is a pretty strong message that the owner intends to keep it. Framing is an expensive investment, and probably not gamesmanship on his part. (I know the feeling, I've had at least 2 pieces 'framed before my eyes' on CAF and it's deflating, to say the least) You'll probably have to really go over the top to pry it loose.

For the overarching question, especially as it applies to those collectors who might hold a page over someone's head in an effort to extort (...and when I say extort I mean extort. There's a difference between paying a premium and extortion), I'd say that turnabout is fair play. Take some time to research what your opponent needs, and set your own nets accordingly.

Andrew

Thanks Claudio. I'm actually in the process of picking up two more pages from the issue, so in a month or so I should have 6/24 possible pages. 25% of a book in about a year is fine with me! I still have decades to complete the project, and even if I can't complete it 100%, I still feel lucky to have what I own now.

IMO, if you don't need the money (or think you will need the money anytime soon) just sit on the pages and hope the other 7 pop up. I would not buy the other known page for one cent more than what you think it is worth at this point. If you find and purchase the other 7 pages, then think about paying the seller's price.

For the overarching question, especially as it applies to those collectors who might hold a page over someone's head in an effort to extort (...and when I say extort I mean extort. There's a difference between paying a premium and extortion), I'd say that turnabout is fair play. Take some time to research what your opponent needs, and set your own nets accordingly.

Andrew

Well said!

I would never tip my hat as to something unique that I wanted such as someone's framed art work. I would first try to research that person and acquire something unique that they them selves would like or want. Then once I had that piece/item, I would make an offer...if need be, sweeten the pot with some money etc.

It's never too late to research on this person either in hopes of finding something they would consider as trade material.

Best of luck.

Given all this, I'm a believer that you should let people know what book you're looking to get. For me, it's Iron Man 154, the first book I ever read. Not an important book to anyone but me, I suspect. The problem of having someone trying to get as much out of you for a page from this book is a good problem to have, compared to the alternative. At least you know where the page is and can make your own decision about whether it's worth it or not to continue.

I second this advice. If you are serious about putting an entire book together then advertising it is the best, and maybe, the only way to shake loose pages. As to a dealer buying these pages and marking them up, they have to take the chance that you won't pay what they want and that no one else will really want that page...especially if it doesn't feature the main character or is just a really dull page....then you are the only real game in town and they are at your mercy. On the other hand, if you have been searching for some time to complete a book and they have the page you are looking for then you know they want to sell...just a matter of finding the common value.