• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Action 5, CGC 9.4 blue on CLINK

276 posts in this topic

One thing I'll never understand is that if Superman was such a big initially hit why didn't he reappear until issue #7 on the cover? Instead we have gorilla covers, Royal Canadian Mounted Police [i'll never understand that one], a guy in a suit jumping out of a plane and some dude who brings a gun with no bullets to a knife fight???

One thing I'll never understand is that if Superman was such a big initially hit why didn't he reappear until issue #7 on the cover? Instead we have gorilla covers, Royal Canadian Mounted Police [i'll never understand that one], a guy in a suit jumping out of a plane and some dude who brings a gun with no bullets to a knife fight???

Action was a hit but evidently they didn't realize right away that Supes was the real driver of sales or they had an inventory of covers to use up.

the recent 8.5 pressed (shrug)

My thoughts exactly. I had snagged the pic of the 8.5 and when you compare them they have many similar points that suggest that they are the same book. Look at the upper left corner, the top edge above the No. 5, and the lower spine corner. Then look at how the pages are now splayed a bit more in the 9.4. :eek:

Action05CGC85.jpg

Action05CGC94.jpg

Action was a hit but evidently they didn't realize right away that Supes was the real driver of sales or they had an inventory of covers to use up.

They did realize after getting the sales figures for #5 that Royal Canadian Mounted Police covers were not the way to go.

That makes sense.

Siegel had already spent 4 - 5 years trying to find a publisher for Superman so it's not that surprising that the decision-makers at DC didn't realize what they had until it was proven beyond all doubt.

(tsk):gossip: spelling ...

Pity the man that knows only one way to spell a word.

even in the 60s it took months for all the newsstand sales figures to be reported back to DC/Marvel. So makes sense that in the 40s it took longer. Then again, that would explain Superman taking over the covers with issue 7, but they STILL werent ready to give him the entire book. so who knows?