• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Action 5, CGC 9.4 blue on CLINK

276 posts in this topic

One thing I'll never understand is that if Superman was such a big initially hit why didn't he reappear until issue #7 on the cover? Instead we have gorilla covers, Royal Canadian Mounted Police [i'll never understand that one], a guy in a suit jumping out of a plane and some dude who brings a gun with no bullets to a knife fight???

Action was a hit but evidently they didn't realize right away that Supes was the real driver of sales or they had an inventory of covers to use up.

I agree about the inventory of covers. The Action Funnies ashcan sports the cover to Action 3. The interior is Detective 10. One can surmise that the ashcan was created with cover art that was lying around since Detective 10 was published 9 months before Action 3. The Action Comics ashcan has a (rejected) Detective 2 cover and an interior of Detective 1 dating it's creation to the winter/spring of 1937. It appears Donenfeld was stockpiling stories and art for Action.

hasn't sold yet. 150K is just a dream until it does.

I would just throw it in a CC or Heritage auction and watch the sparks fly. Can't imagine that the seller would be disappointed with the end result.

Unless the buyers are educated enough to know they are chasing a former 8.5. I would imagine that that might depress prices some.

the recent 8.5 pressed (shrug)

My thoughts exactly. I had snagged the pic of the 8.5 and when you compare them they have many similar points that suggest that they are the same book. Look at the upper left corner, the top edge above the No. 5, and the lower spine corner. Then look at how the pages are now splayed a bit more in the 9.4. :eek:

Action05CGC85.jpg

Action05CGC94.jpg

Is it just me, or does the book look better as an 8.5 than the pressed 9.4?

Yet another example of CGC simply losing it on their ability to grade properly of late, IMHO.

:tonofbricks:

My thoughts exactly. I had snagged the pic of the 8.5 and when you compare them they have many similar points that suggest that they are the same book. Look at the upper left corner, the top edge above the No. 5, and the lower spine corner. Then look at how the pages are now splayed a bit more in the 9.4. :eek:

Action05CGC85.jpg

Action05CGC94.jpg

Yet another example of CGC simply losing it on their ability to grade properly of late, IMHO.

Book should have stayed a 8.5

$$$$$$$GREED$$$$$$$

Action05CGC85.jpg

Action05CGC94.jpg

^^

Doubt it, there's a lot of people who buy the label and not the book. Look @ that IM# 1 9.9 for what 70k? It's a joke really.

This is probably more true with the SA and BA group of collectors.

The same principle often does not apply for the GA books. The classic example being the Church copy of Boy Comics #17 which initially graded out at 4.0 and only managed to get another $180 when it came back as a 7.5. Profit margin would be substantially lower after deducting the fees for reslabbing, Heritage commissions, and any resto fees.

Needless to say, the book became unsellable and unable to find a buyer on the third go-round when it was reslabbed as a 9.0 graded book. It was obvious that nobdoy was interested in a book that was manipulated from 4.0 all the way up to 9.0, all the while sitting in a blue CGC slab. :applause:

There are many examples of GA books where the increase in sales prices from an upgrade due to maniupulation is offset by the cost of reslabbing, regrading, and restoration work. doh!

Check this out, the 8.5 was graded 08/03/2011 and the 9.4 a mere 3 months later on 10/19/2011 . What was the problem with the 8.5 that a press took it all the way to a 9.4 ? A non-color breaking fold ? This kind of news is bad for the hobby. A little manipulation to nudge a grade is understandable but this is disgusting. These type of incidents are happening too much lately.

This kind of news is bad for the hobby. A little manipulation to nudge a grade is understandable but this is disgusting. These type of incidents are happening too much lately.

Amen, brother.

Book looked nicer than an 8.5 to begin with. I probably would have resubbed it too. It certainly isn't a 9.4 and looking at the scans, it looks like a straight resub. A press will usually cause the positioning of the cover to shift a little. Those two scans are EXACTLY the same. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

P.S. CGC will be going through some growing pains. Losing Steve, Mark, and West is a SIGNIFICANT disruption.

Book looked nicer than an 8.5 to begin with. I probably would have resubbed it too. It certainly isn't a 9.4 and looking at the scans, it looks like a straight resub. A press will usually cause the positioning of the cover to shift a little. Those two scans are EXACTLY the same. GOD BLESS....

P.S. CGC will be going through some growing pains. Losing Steve, Mark, and West is a SIGNIFICANT disruption.

+1 (thumbs u +1 (thumbs u

Grading appears to be kind of all over the place as of late.

Most intelligent thing said about this copy IMHO ...Thanks jimjim12 !

Doubt it, there's a lot of people who buy the label and not the book. Look @ that IM# 1 9.9 for what 70k? It's a joke really.

Unless it`s known that the 9.9 IM #1 used to be a 9.6 and was pressed up to a 9.9, it`s apples and oranges.

There may indeed be people who will pay top dollar for this book as a 9.4 and not care that it used to be a 8.5. But I bet even the most ardent pressing supporters on these boards wouldn`t go after it quite as enthusiastically as they otherwise might have.

I would actually be a lot more concerned if this is a straight resub without any intervening manipulation. They may as well use a dartboard if this is true. hm

If CGC can't tell the difference between a VF+ 8.5 book from a NM 9.4 book, then why should anybody even bother to send their books ito CGC for grading. If this is true, than with grading like this, they may as well sign up for some remedial grading classes from Daniel Patterson (i.e. PGX) and/or Danny Dupcak to upgrade their skills. :boo:

Unless it`s known that the 9.9 IM #1 used to be a 9.6 and was pressed up to a 9.9, it`s apples and oranges.

There may indeed be people who will pay top dollar for this book as a 9.4 and not care that it used to be a 8.5. But I bet even the most ardent pressing supporters on these boards wouldn`t go after it quite as enthusiastically as they otherwise might have.

My point is there are collectors who only focus on the label not the book. Doesn't matter how it achieved the grade it has.

I would actually be a lot more concerned if this is a straight resub without any intervening manipulation. They may as well use a dartboard if this is true. hm

If CGC can't tell the difference between a VF+ 8.5 book from a NM 9.4 book, then why should anybody even bother to send their books ito CGC for grading. If this is true, than with grading like this, they may as well sign up for some remedial grading classes from Daniel Patterson (i.e. PGX) and/or Danny Dupcak to upgrade their skills. :boo:

I'm with you.....it's just hard to say for sure without the book in hand....but it would never merit serious consideration from ME as a 9.4.....unless, of course, my eyesight continues it's downward spiral. My last submission seemed to have tighter grading....but no GA was there. Even though the AC 5 isn't a 9.4.....that spine SHO' IS SWEET. ......GOD BLESS...