• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Amazing Arizona Comic Con Report

18 posts in this topic

I want to say I wasn't very excited about going to this con intially this year. None of the guest or artists were on my list to see etc. I was worried about the dealer turn out: if I was going to attend for anything it would be for the back issues. With that in mind here my synopsis of the con followed later by my purchases. As for dealers Ed Roberston was there with the largest grouping of books again this year. Harley showed up with a small but extremely nice selection of back issues from a new collection he bought. He had some nice higher graded silver marvel and dc. He also had a stack of Canadian whites. I found a couple I wanted, but alas they were more than I wanted to spend.

Other Dealers there were Greg White with a nice selection of books, Jays Comics, Another dealer with some various back issues (I know a big help) and a few local shops mainly selling comic related items. While there were more comic dealers than last year I was hoping for more. Anime, while there was a presence it wasn't very big. I was pretty happy about this.

This con has a lot of potential and I can only see it improving over the years, This being only its second year.

A breif break down of my time there.

Preview night was pretty busy, mldynes and myself helped Ed set up so we got to look around before the crowds. I have to say mldyes is a great guy and someone I found fun to talk to. I found a nice Strange Adventures 205 cheap from a coin collector who bought a collect to sell to buy more coins. He knew enough to get some prices overpriced and others... well lets just say I got the 205 cheap. The collector from REAL DEAL that sold the X-men 1 and Hulk 181 etc showed up at Ed's booth. He was a nice guy and felt he got a good deal when he sold the books. He mentioned he had to sign a paper saying he would sell or auction. There were costumed people as usual, but not as many as in the past. This year I decided not to bring the camera so sorry there are no pics as there typically are in my reports. I will bring it to the Con in May. I picked up a few other books from Ed as always. I ended up leaving about 5:30pm dead tired as I was up for over 30 hours, but thats another story.

Saturday I got off to a late start, trying to catch up on sleep and being with family. I almost didn't go back as I was still pretty beat. I ended up going for about 2 hrs with my 5 year daughter. Parking was sparse and it took 15 minutes to find a space. The con was very busy, but I am not sure about sales. I spoke to Ed and his dollar books were doing great as well as selling a few wall books. I hope all the dealers did well so they come back and with more stock. I ended up picking up a few 1.00 Wonder Womans and a Sketch for her. She is a huge Wonder Woman fan and dressed up as her for Halloween this year. Anyway, I found 2 Atlas War books I thought were cool from an original collection off a local dealer.

Overall this was a nice smaller con, If your local I definitely feel you should support it and go. Out of towners, well its hard to say the investment you would spend to get and stay here as compared to the selection of books may leave you scratching your head.

Thanks for the kind words Brian. I had a lot of fun at this Con. I wish I could have spent more time digging. For a small con, it was heavy on back issues. Brian is a funny guy, I think he can smell great books or something. I spent hours digging through Ed's boxes and I found some stuff, but Brian would walk up and say "Did you see this?" and it was always something like a Whitman variant in NM or that Daredevil annual that he picked up that looks perfect. I walked by the guy with the SA 205 twice and I didn't even look in his boxes because the stuff he had out didn't look that great. Brian walks up and says "Hey, there's a guy over there with an SA 205 that looks nice..."