• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Reading comics with 100 watt light bulbs.... a thing of the past

197 posts in this topic

So I go into the dept. store to get some light bulbs and the guy tells me, "THEY" are discontinuing 100 watt bulbs in a year or so, in favor of more ecconomical and electricity saving types. I said.... WTF ..... I don't want to save a watt or two.... I WANT TO SEE !!! EFFIN SAVE THE PLANET BASTERDS !! :mad:

CFLs are much brighter than incandescent bulbs for a given wattage. Your eyes will be fine.

It's an unnatural light and different looking than incandenscant bulbs.

Personally, I can't stand those CFL lights. I hate 'em.

It's also a relatively new technology and I'm not sure all the possible health side effects can be known at this time.

:gossip: LED bulbs are better and will last years longer.

Psst--

Try halogen incandescents.

They meet the new standards. They cost about $4, but they last longer than regular incandescents and use a little less electricity, so it will pretty much be a wash, long term.

The real long term choice is going to end up being LEDs, I think, once they come down some in price. They essentially last forever, and use a fraction of the electricity of regular bulbs. They need to come down in price before they will get popular, though.

Note-- I think its silly to worry about direct health risks from CFL's. We've been sitting under bigger flourescents at work for 30+ years. It isn't a new technology. There is some reasonable concern about proper disposal of them. If people start throwing them in the garbage, we could see some mercury end up in places that we don't want it, although I suspect that the reduced mercury put into the air by fewer coal power plants will probably be more significant.

It's also a relatively new technology and I'm not sure all the possible health side effects can be known at this time.

So I go into the dept. store to get some light bulbs and the guy tells me, "THEY" are discontinuing 100 watt bulbs in a year or so, in favor of more ecconomical and electricity saving types. I said.... WTF ..... I don't want to save a watt or two.... I WANT TO SEE !!! EFFIN SAVE THE PLANET BASTERDS !! :mad:

CFLs are much brighter than incandescent bulbs for a given wattage. Your eyes will be fine.

Of course, you could go back to the gaslamp. :baiting:

Are you crazy... ?? 100 watt bulbs are replaced with 91 watters. 75's with 62's... and so on. The freakin planet runs on hydro electric power which is generated by water flowing through a dam and producing electricity .... WHICH IS 100 % GONNA LAST FOREVER !! YET THEY SAY WIND POWER IS EFFICIENT AND RENEWABLE..... BUT NOT WHAT THE DAMS GENERATE !!

THE EFFIN SALMON LOVERS ARE SLOWLY HAVING ALL THE DAMS DECONSTRUCTED SO SOME EFFIN FISH CAN SWIM UPSTREAM AND DIE !!! ARRRRRGGGGG !!!!

If it was micro brewed beer swimming up stream you'd be hacking at the dams

with a shovel. Don't hate the little fishies.

They've been around since the seventies, so I don't know what you mean by "new technology".

You know they're available in different spectra, right? If you don't like CFLs with a 'cool' spectrum, then try the ones with a 'warmer' spectrum (my preference).

Side effects? Try recycling.

Three things I don`t like about the new bulbs.

They don`t light up a room like the 100 watt bulbs.

They do blow up when they overheat.I had a few blow up and had to pick up glass all over the room.

They are a big pain in the a to dispose of.

Some of these new bulbs have even been recalled by the government.

government recalls energy saving bulbs

I hope this information helps you my fellow Plasticman fan. :)

The freakin planet runs on hydro electric power which is generated by water flowing through a dam and producing electricity .... WHICH IS 100 % GONNA LAST FOREVER !!

Which planet are you on?

[font:Book Antiqua]New genesis...[/font]

:whee:

I think we need Justin in this thread to assure it's rightful lock-y end

Speaking of light bulbs.....

That one has burned out.

Hmm - kinda surprised, kinda not. I converted all my lights to CFLs about 6 years ago and never looked back after the money I saved on my electric bills.

1.21 Jigawatts!!!!!!

:) I couldn't resist!

1.21 Jigawatts!!!!!!

:) I couldn't resist!

Docgasp.jpg