• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Reading comics with 100 watt light bulbs.... a thing of the past

197 posts in this topic

I hate me some light bulbs.

I despise light bulbs, their ideals, and everything they stand for!

Light bulbs are conceited and have no respect for real energy... Yes, you got it!!... The one that comes from the heart..

I agree with all you have written here, soul brother.

I heard light bulbs are trying to pass a governmental initiative to apprehend regular citizens suspected of being terrorists, they're the devil... The devil I tell you!!

Soon the government will apprehend all citizens under the pretext that they’re all terrorists; at which point, the light bulbs will have won.

Really? Who will be left to turn them on?

Solar powered light bulbs will be the new social elite

Y'know..... I wouldn't be surprised :popcorn:

It is my understanding that CFL's only last a long time, if left on. For places where you turn lights on and off several times a day, they wear out rather quickly. If left on, they can last for years.

This isn't right. They last. And last. And last. They don't need replacement for years, whether they are left on for long periods of time (such as my front door exterior light), or are cycled off and on repeatedly, such as my interior lights.

As for recycling them, it's as easy as putting them in a container at your front curb when you live in a city, town, or suburban region of a state with curbside recycling. And if your state doesn't, it soon will.

As for brightness, the 42 watt CFL is a 150 watt incandescent-equivalent and provides plenty for reading comics, even for old dudes with failing senses like me.

It is my understanding that CFL's only last a long time, if left on. For places where you turn lights on and off several times a day, they wear out rather quickly. If left on, they can last for years.

This isn't right. They last. And last. And last. They don't need replacement for years, whether they are left on for long periods of time (such as my front door exterior light), or are cycled off and on repeatedly, such as my interior lights.

Energy Star CFL FAQ:

Can I turn my Compact Fluorescent Light Bulbs (CFLs) on and off frequently? I've been told I have to turn it on and leave it on all day.

"Turning a CFL on and off frequently can shorten its life. However, because of the vast diversity of products and different usages, it is difficult to determine exactly how much. ENERGY STAR specifications require bulbs to endure rapid cycling for five minute intervals to ensure that the products can hold up to frequent switching.

To take full advantage of the energy savings and long life of ENERGY STAR qualified CFLs, it is best to use them in light fixtures you use the most and are on for at least 15 minutes at a time. ... "

Consumer Reports: comparing lightbulb brightness

"... But when it comes to 100-watt incandescents, LED replacements from major manufacturers aren’t yet available, and our latest tests of CFLs and halogen bulbs reveal you may sacrifice some brightness to save energy."

As for recycling them, it's as easy as putting them in a container at your front curb when you live in a city, town, or suburban region of a state with curbside recycling. And if your state doesn't, it soon will.

As for brightness, the 42 watt CFL is a 150 watt incandescent-equivalent and provides plenty for reading comics, even for old dudes with failing senses like me.

I can attest from personal experience that you are way off base. But I see someone has already addressed that, better than my personal experience, so I will not any further.

Other than to say that I have had GFL's last as little as 4 months, and as long as three years. It "seemed" to depend on how often they were turned on and off. But not always, as I have had some left on 24/7 that have burned out in less than a year. I attribute that to defective production. Some do last a long time, when left on. My oldest has probably (I'm guessing here) been burning constantly for about three years.

I have had those that were supposed to last "up to seven years", burn out in under two years. The guarantee is worthless, unless you keep the receipt for months or years. Who does that?

Oh, and it pertains to comic books in that a certain amount of light is needed to read them, and certain light can damage them. (I'm digging deep here) :)

talk-nerdy-to-me.jpg

I hate me some light bulbs.

I despise light bulbs, their ideals, and everything they stand for!

Light bulbs are conceited and have no respect for real energy... Yes, you got it!!... The one that comes from the heart..

I agree with all you have written here, soul brother.

I heard light bulbs are trying to pass a governmental initiative to apprehend regular citizens suspected of being terrorists, they're the devil... The devil I tell you!!

Soon the government will apprehend all citizens under the pretext that they’re all terrorists; at which point, the light bulbs will have won.

Really? Who will be left to turn them on?

Solar powered light bulbs will be the new social elite

Y'know..... I wouldn't be surprised :popcorn:

Nothing shocks in this brave new world, except perhaps the unholy alliance of light bulb & automated teller machine.

I put CFL bulbs in every closet in my house when it was built in 2005. I have not changed one yet.

Closets should be banned.

Where will we all hide?

I put CFL bulbs in every closet in my house when it was built in 2005. I have not changed one yet.

Where will we all hide?

Attics.

I use CFL's and they are fine. I have some that are as old as the remodel, 5 or 6 years old now.

Most of the lights in our home are CFL's. The ones that aren't will be just as soon as they burn out. Here in Cincinnati, Duke Energy has a thing where you can request some CFL's online and they ship you a box for free. I got a dozen of them, 2 different sizes, shipped to me in a couple of days and we started using them as soon as old bulbs would die. I think you can see an obvious difference in the type and amount of light you get. The CFL's aren't as bright but we've grown accustomed to them and haven't had any problems. I've never looked into the cost savings. I mean, it's light bulbs. I'm hardly going to fret about light bulb costs. Anyway, even with the light being less bright, I can read just fine. Perhaps that's b/c i'm not an old fart with failing vision like some around here. (: For the aged, whining amongst us, don't blame technology for the fact that you're on the back nine. :baiting:

I use CFL's and they are fine. I have some that are as old as the remodel, 5 or 6 years old now.

Most of the lights in our home are CFL's. The ones that aren't will be just as soon as they burn out. Here in Cincinnati, Duke Energy has a thing where you can request some CFL's online and they ship you a box for free. I got a dozen of them, 2 different sizes, shipped to me in a couple of days and we started using them as soon as old bulbs would die. I think you can see an obvious difference in the type and amount of light you get. The CFL's aren't as bright but we've grown accustomed to them and haven't had any problems. I've never looked into the cost savings. I mean, it's light bulbs. I'm hardly going to fret about light bulb costs. Anyway, even with the light being less bright, I can read just fine. Perhaps that's b/c i'm not an old fart with failing vision like some around here. (: For the aged, whining amongst us, don't blame technology for the fact that you're on the back nine. :baiting:

You will understand when you get to be my age, sonny. :preach:

Where will we all hide?

Attics.

Of course, the Attic drama.

For the aged, whining amongst us, don't blame technology for the fact that you're on the back nine. :baiting:

Technology always gets the blame for my aged whining.