• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Reading comics with 100 watt light bulbs.... a thing of the past

197 posts in this topic

I use CFL's and they are fine. I have some that are as old as the remodel, 5 or 6 years old now.

Most of the lights in our home are CFL's. The ones that aren't will be just as soon as they burn out. Here in Cincinnati, Duke Energy has a thing where you can request some CFL's online and they ship you a box for free. I got a dozen of them, 2 different sizes, shipped to me in a couple of days and we started using them as soon as old bulbs would die. I think you can see an obvious difference in the type and amount of light you get. The CFL's aren't as bright but we've grown accustomed to them and haven't had any problems. I've never looked into the cost savings. I mean, it's light bulbs. I'm hardly going to fret about light bulb costs. Anyway, even with the light being less bright, I can read just fine. Perhaps that's b/c i'm not an old fart with failing vision like some around here. (: For the aged, whining amongst us, don't blame technology for the fact that you're on the back nine. :baiting:

You will understand when you get to be my age, sonny. :preach:

+ 1 Your days comin hockey guy (:

Try buying CFL lamps today at the same price you did a few years ago.

Thanks to China's export reductions, there is an apparent shortage in phosphors which are required for fluorescent lamps.

LED lights are the coming thing...bright, low heat emissions, somewhat pricey right now but over time, this should decrease like everything else that was new.

Mike, I don't consider you old buddy. I just think of you as wise.

I most certainly will not. I have perfected a secret potion that not only grants its user enhanced intelligence and dashing good looks, but also slows the aging process. Duh.

Thanks Mike. Actually, I think I am in the best shape I have ever been. I may have not even reached my prime yet. I can't see up close worth beans though. I can still spot a Maple tree at 200 yds.

I most certainly will not. I have perfected a secret potion that not only grants its user enhanced intelligence and dashing good looks, but also slows the aging process. Duh.

What are you waiting for? You need the bump. :makepoint:

Damn those tree hugging,vegan eating people :mad:

People are eating vegans??? Oh...the irony...

They'd damn well better be free range vegans! :mad:

when you let them wander about they get all tough and stringy.

I keep mine in a box.....

Hydroelectric power only accounts for 19% of total electrical production. :makepoint:

Thats cuz the freakin gov't is running Bonneville on about 12 % of its potential rantrant

We went from talking about "the planet" to talking about Bonneville.

Good point. Still, I believe Bonneville could power half the country by itself if they chose to let it..... and how many other dams are there in the world not being fully utilized. I know China is near completion or maybe they are finished by now.... the largest dam in the world. Hail Hydro !! :grin:

With all the hysteria about light bulbs, I can only imagine the ruckus when you mom buys the wrong toilet paper.

Yeah and it's even worse when she puts it on the roll the wrong direction. Ruins my day.

It's even worse when there's no roll.

The nation's fleet of over 100 coal plants is responsible for 57 percent of the electricity generated in the U.S., more than any other single electricity fuel source by a good margin.

Despite that, I agree that I don't need anyone telling me what light bulb I can use. Choice is king and if I decide that I can afford less efficient bulbs, so be it.

Hydro is about 11%.

Damn those tree hugging,vegan eating people :mad:

People are eating vegans??? Oh...the irony...

They'd damn well better be free range vegans! :mad:

when you let them wander about they get all tough and stringy.

I keep mine in a box.....

;)