• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Reading comics with 100 watt light bulbs.... a thing of the past

197 posts in this topic

I hate how they expect you to jump through all these hoops to dispose of these new CFL bulbs in a proper and enviromentally friendly way. F that, I tried a few of them and didn't care for the type of light they put out and went right back to my 100 watt bulbs. I then disposed of the CFLs in the most tree hugging hippie friendly way I could think of, I threw them in the local river. :insane:

So I go into the dept. store to get some light bulbs and the guy tells me, "THEY" are discontinuing 100 watt bulbs in a year or so, in favor of more ecconomical and electricity saving types. I said.... WTF ..... I don't want to save a watt or two.... I WANT TO SEE !!! EFFIN SAVE THE PLANET BASTERDS !! :mad:

doh!

In before the lock. This will be gone by, what, 9 AM Monday morning? Why are you wasting time with this? Seriously.

I hate me some light bulbs.

I despise light bulbs, their ideals, and everything they stand for!

Light bulbs are conceited and have no respect for real energy... Yes, you got it!!... The one that comes from the heart..

Light bulbs are conceited and have no respect for real energy... Yes, you got it!!... The one that comes from the heart..

I agree with all you have written here, soul brother.

They say that these new enviro friendly light bulbs are actualy worse, normal bulbs break and corode away. These new ones don't, they also has gas or something in them.

They are just florescent lights. In a new compact size. If you get some the same color temperature as incandescent, you will hardly notice the difference. They do take about 15-30 seconds to come on all the way. They are about a buck a bulb here now.

They do have mercury in them, as all florescent lights do. It's not much, but you are supposed to dispose of them properly. I've heard that given the great energy savings you end up having less mercury overall, as many power plants still produce some mercury.

The ban was stupid, people would be switching over on their own as the bulb price got low and the savings realized got big. If I can save 2-$300 a year by doing nothing, why wouldn't I?

The dimmable ones don't work real well yet.

I like the giant 200watt equivalents for my garage, I can get 3 of those going and only use 120watts actual, but get 600 watts equivalent in light. Lot's of juice left on the circuit so I don't trip a breaker when running some man sized equipment.

I have tried a few of the new LED bulbs, still too expensive, and they use almost as much energy as the CFLS. They'll probably get better, but I will pas for now.

Well with all the money you save on CFLs, buy yourself a nice comic, you earned it.

Careful though, florescent light burns the gloss right off comics.

I heard light bulbs are trying to pass a governmental initiative to apprehend regular citizens suspected of being terrorists, they're the devil... The devil I tell you!!

I hate how they expect you to jump through all these hoops to dispose of these new CFL bulbs in a proper and enviromentally friendly way. F that, I tried a few of them and didn't care for the type of light they put out and went right back to my 100 watt bulbs. I then disposed of the CFLs in the most tree hugging hippie friendly way I could think of, I threw them in the local river. :insane:

Don't feel bad. I work for a local trash company. These things go into the landfill all the time... mercury and all.

Don't feel bad. I work for a local trash company. These things go into the landfill all the time... mercury and all.

This is hilarious, about 5 years ago, there was an investivative report about recycling in Germany; they found out that the various trash bins that were being picked up, ended up in the same place, yeah, NO recycling... It's easier said then done

So I go into the dept. store to get some light bulbs and the guy tells me, "THEY" are discontinuing 100 watt bulbs in a year or so, in favor of more ecconomical and electricity saving types. I said.... WTF ..... I don't want to save a watt or two.... I WANT TO SEE !!! EFFIN SAVE THE PLANET BASTERDS !! :mad:

doh!

In before the lock. This will be gone by, what, 9 AM Monday morning? Why are you wasting time with this? Seriously.

Cuz I READ my comics..... and I do it by lightbulb.

Hmmm..... ?? Can't remember the last time I read a comic outside in the sunlight.

I imagine people will be reading them by the light of their tablets before too long hm

The freakin planet runs on hydro electric power which is generated by water flowing through a dam and producing electricity .... WHICH IS 100 % GONNA LAST FOREVER !!

Which planet are you on?

The Pacific North West planet :acclaim:

Ha ha, that means your stores don't have plastic bags either.

True. They are workin on gettin rid of em....which is fine by me. I always ask for paper anyways. More uses after I get home .....

I have a half dozen can lights in the basement ceiling in the finished section, tried replacing them all with CFL's, and had to change one back to incandescent. They don't light up very fast, while an incandescent is instantaneous. I got tired of standing at the top of the stairs waiting for 'em to light up after I flipped the switch.

Oh, and I tried CFL's in the garage ceiling and didn't care for them at all, changed back to 150 watt incandescents. Everything else so far is okay with CFL's, but I wouldn't mind upgrading to LED when the price comes down a bit...

I heard light bulbs are trying to pass a governmental initiative to apprehend regular citizens suspected of being terrorists, they're the devil... The devil I tell you!!

Soon the government will apprehend all citizens under the pretext that they’re all terrorists; at which point, the light bulbs will have won.

Soon the government will apprehend all citizens under the pretext that they’re all terrorists; at which point, the light bulbs will have won.

Really? Who will be left to turn them on?

Really? Who will be left to turn them on?

Solar powered light bulbs will be the new social elite

I generally refuse to go with the new innovations, and stick to my old ways.

I do however, have those squiggley CFL's all around the house, except in the poker room. I have recently started buying 100 watt incandescents and storing them. At the Dollar General store, they are selling incandescents at $3.75 for 16 of them. I have bought numerous boxes of them and am keep them for nostalgia, and use.

With my bad eyesight, the 100 watts are preferable for me. I can see very well when the light is very bright. When we have our weekly poker games, I have a total of 10, 100 watt incandescents, illuminating each table. I don't think CFL's would do the job adequately.

It is my understanding that CFL's only last a long time, if left on. For places where you turn lights on and off several times a day, they wear out rather quickly. If left on, they can last for years.

They do take a half second before they illuminate. That is a bother in some areas of the house. In most areas it is not a problem. Just something you have to get used to.