• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Reading comics with 100 watt light bulbs.... a thing of the past

197 posts in this topic

With the discussion of lights and comics I am surprised no one has mentioned anything about UV radiation yet. I use CFL’s almost everywhere except my office where all the books are and the garage where CFL’s just were not bright enough.

Since CFL’s put out a high amount of UV radiation I avoid using them where comics are kept. For now I am using incandescent, I would consider halogen but they are hot and don’t seem to last as long per dollar of cost. I have been interested in L.E.D but have been unable to find much information on how much UV they omit and it seems as though that can vary between the type of L.E.D’s and the color they produce.

I still can’t figure out why they don’t incorporate UV filters in the glass of bulbs, comic bags and slabs, I know it would add to the cost but I think people might be ready to pay a little more to filter out something that can cause damage in so many ways to so many things.

talk-nerdy-to-me.jpg

Toothy & pneumatic.

Better than toothless and emaciated.

You say that just because you've never tried toothless before. :gossip:

:shy:

Ahhhhh!

:gossip: It's not all that it's cracked-up to be..

So I go into the dept. store to get some light bulbs and the guy tells me, "THEY" are discontinuing 100 watt bulbs in a year or so, in favor of more ecconomical and electricity saving types. I said.... WTF ..... I don't want to save a watt or two.... I WANT TO SEE !!! EFFIN SAVE THE PLANET BASTERDS !! :mad:

edit title: for all the "comics general police" :grin::popcorn:

I foresee Mike doing some new wiring if this ban ever takes place...stock up now.

Denver%20Light%20Bulbs5.jpg

talk-nerdy-to-me.jpg

Toothy & pneumatic.

Ahhhhh!

BS. Attention...this is the captain speaking...please fasten your safety belt. :banana:

Since CFL’s put out a high amount of UV radiation I avoid using them where comics are kept.

How are you defining "a high amount"? What I've read is that the UV produced by CFL's is comparable to other forms of fluorescent bulbs. I would not want comics that are on display, such as framed/mounted on a wall, to be near CFL lights. But otherwise I wouldn't think it would be a problem if the comics were merely stored in the room where the CFL bulb was in use.

I still can’t figure out why they don’t incorporate UV filters in the glass of bulbs, comic bags and slabs, I know it would add to the cost but I think people might be ready to pay a little more to filter out something that can cause damage in so many ways to so many things.

This is interesting but I think we'd have to define and establish exactly what kind of damage is possible or likely from a CFL light source. (Damage from acidification is a much more serious matter.) You also have to factor in what percentage of slabbed comic owners keep them on display versus storing them. As somebody who has framed a few original comic art pieces, I can confirm that the cost of UV-blocking glass is substantial (though definitely worth it). With UV-blocking plexiglass, there is also the downside that the material is very easy to scratch. The best solution would probably be for CGC to use some sort of tri-laminate insert within the slab, but again, the cost is not likely to be trivial and it may lead to numerous other practical concerns. Ultimately it might come down to a question of mission focus since CGC's service is designed to be used as a guaranty of authenticity more than for framing/display purposes.

talk-nerdy-to-me.jpg

Toothy & pneumatic.

Ahhhhh!

Just so I understand, this young lady has hooters large enough to give her self black eyes every time she walks and you want to discuss the size of her teeth? Didn't they do a show on this...what was it called, oh ya, 40yr old Virgin :baiting::grin:

some of my bulb sockets in my house do not even work with the fancy new bulbs for whatever reason.

it's funny, my wife is ms. environmentalist, but when it comes to this she is just not biting. she screams at me when i buy the fancy energy efficient bulbs because she says she can't see with them. it's true, the do produce a different light.

some of my bulb sockets in my house do not even work with the fancy new bulbs for whatever reason.

it's funny, my wife is ms. environmentalist, but when it comes to this she is just not biting. she screams at me when i buy the fancy energy efficient bulbs because she says she can't see with them. it's true, the do produce a different light.

nah, color temp is color temp. get something 2800k, for a while they were selling a lot of those "daylight" or higher color temps, they have that weird shop light color, looks horrid.

They do cheat on brightness, they say produces the light of a 60 watt, usually not quite. They use the crappiest 60 watt they can find for comparison. If you want a 40 watt cfl, get something that says it's 60watt equivalent, and so on.

And yes, they will burn the gloss off a comic in 4 weeks, according to Gerber. Well at least noticeably fade an old school book. I do think CGC should have UV block version.

I agree. It is harder to read with the fancy pants bulbs. If it looks like they are

gonna discontinue the old bulbs I'll pick up a truck load.

talk-nerdy-to-me.jpg

Toothy & pneumatic.

Ahhhhh!

Just so I understand, this young lady has hooters large enough to give her self black eyes every time she walks and you want to discuss the size of her teeth? Didn't they do a show on this...what was it called, oh ya, 40yr old Virgin :baiting::grin:

:idea:

Good point WiseGuyX.

Maybe we should better figure how long it would take for UV light to degrade that enthusiastic young Gal's T shirt and how to hasten the process?

talk-nerdy-to-me.jpg

Toothy & pneumatic.

Ahhhhh!

BS. Attention...this is the captain speaking...please fasten your safety belt. :banana:

What?... My grandpa told me toothless isn't necessarily better, i have seen their dentures... I'm not asking any questions :sick:

talk-nerdy-to-me.jpg

Toothy & pneumatic.

Ahhhhh!

:idea:

Good point WiseGuyX.

Maybe we should better figure how long it would take for UV light to degrade that enthusiastic young Gal's T shirt and how to hasten the process?

Simultaneously referring to someone as an "enthusiastic young gal" and expressing a desire to disrobe her is a bit creepy. It fascinates me that any time an image of an attractive woman is posted the conversation degenerates into a narrow and predictable exchange of objectifying responses. rantrant

Seems to me that this sentiment (buying a truckload before they disappear) is the exact thing that would keep this product on the market

Seems to me that this sentiment (buying a truckload before they disappear) is the exact thing that would keep this product on the market
It's not market demand that's keeping on the market nor phasing it out. I thought we already covered that?

It's not market demand that's keeping on the market nor phasing it out. I thought we already covered that?

So you think theres going to eventully be a "black market" for light bulbs ? hm