• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What Comics Are You Gonna Buy With Your Tax Return Checks?

78 posts in this topic

What in the hell is a "tax return check"? Is it one of those urban legends that I hear about from time to time? I am still paying our bill from the last years return, which is a kick in the nads every time I make out the check. Middle class....yeah right.

Going to further my edjumicashion

I have the BA and the MA and some college after it. However, with change looming on the horizon in my field, I am going back to school in order to have the option of having more doors open in the event I want to change.

I haven't seen a refund in years. I just hope I don't owe too much this year.

As much of a drag it is, my accounting professor in college use to say that's not always a bad thing. If you're owed a refund at the end of the year, all you've done is given the government an interest free loan for 12 months.

Well, at least that's what I keep telling myself when I sign the checks.

I have the BA and the MA and some college after it. However, with change looming on the horizon in my field, I am going back to school in order to have the option of having more doors open in the event I want to change.

I have a similar educational background and was attending school again but put it on hold. There is a serious disconnect between the current education system and the current economic climate. I have found it more beneficial to teach myself. 2c

The Revenue in this country is one of the most bloated, inefficient, Kafkaesque bureaucracies in history. Last year I didn't receive my tax bill, when I phoned them they said there had been a delay, and I should pay my bill anyway or face a fine. I asked how I could pay my bill if I didn't have one. They said my accountant could tell me what I owe And I should send them a cheque for that amount! rantrant

A few weeks later, the press broke the story that the Revenue had underestimated the number of bills to send out and hadn't ordered enough paper to print them all on :facepalm:

Got my W2 yesterday. :whee:

Besides buying dance lessons with the original Solid Gold Dancers in my disco addition at my house...

SolidGolddancers.jpg

I was wondering what comics you guys are planning to buy with yours? I don't have any huge urges to buy anything too pricey this year, myself.

:popcorn:

NewEnglandGothic Disclaimer: The Solid Gold Dancers are not meant to be exploited in any private disco on my immediate premises. They will be fed and watered daily for a naturally healthy coat.

I noticed not many people responded with the answer I am going to go buy some comics. :sick:

Buy the Billy Wright Tec #27

:jokealert:

the ~$200-$300 (+market interest (thumbs u ) i'll receive will not go towards comics either but towards a crosstrainer or treadmill :sorry:

Hey, nothing wrong with that. I'm getting an elliptical this spring (though not with my non-existent tax return). It's tough to run 4 miles in 110 degrees in the summer down here in AZ.

the ~$200-$300 (+market interest (thumbs u ) i'll receive will not go towards comics either but towards a crosstrainer or treadmill :sorry:

Hey, nothing wrong with that. I'm getting an elliptical this spring (though not with my non-existent tax return). It's tough to run 4 miles in 110 degrees in the summer down here in AZ.

3 words dude:

scantily

dressed

females

Why do you think i metal detect on the beach and have a smile on my face after digging nothing but pulltabs :whee:

EDIT:

Ok looked up how much 110F was, i'd stay indoor too :sick: , don't think we've ever had that over here. Usually 90F it a summer high here.

I have a similar educational background and was attending school again but put it on hold. There is a serious disconnect between the current education system and the current economic climate. I have found it more beneficial to teach myself. 2c

It is only going to get more expensive. I put off what I am doing for about two years. In that time, the price per credit has increased and the workload and licensing have changed. Further change is inevitable and it will only be more expensive and more difficult to obtain the certification I am looking for. The kicker is that I may or may not ever utilize the new license. It is something I want to pocket and use a an trump card should the need arise.

My feeling is that in this economic climate that any education that acts as an increase in job security and allows you to be more of asset can be nothing but helpful to your long term personal growth. It is an investment in yourself. The comic books? As much as I am biting my lip in typing this... those are secondary.

This whole thing basically translates to no Golden Age Superman or Batman books for me this year. Unless they are books I plan to eventually flip.

To be honest it was a tough decision. I am basically putting my life on hold for another year while I get this done.

My feeling is that in this economic climate that any education that acts as an increase in job security and allows you to be more of asset can be nothing but helpful to your long term personal growth. It is an investment in yourself. The comic books? As much as I am biting my lip in typing this... those are secondary.

So true. I left my job teaching high school to take my current job as a university employee. I took a pay cut, but the benefit in doing so was that I was able to go back to graduate school. As a university employee, I can take a class for free each semester. Its taking me longer than most because I only take one class a semester, but it has been worth it. This time next year I will be done and (hopefully) in the doctoral program :banana:

With that said, as a government employee my income is limited. I have few deductions anyway. I claim no dependents on my w-2 and with two kids we get a nice little check. Interest-free loan or not, I like getting money in the mail rather than sending it off. Its worth the loss of interest if I were to put the money into a savings account to know that money will be coming in case we were to really need it. We're going to be saving most of our refund, but we will use some of it at Heroescon.