• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

7th War Loan Collection

13 posts in this topic

Here's my 7th War Loan collection, finally all on display in my new comic room. They mostly have cover dates of July, 1945 though some publishers had dates slightly before or after depending on their print schedules. The 7th War Loan was the final campaign to get consumers to purchase savings bonds to fund the war on Japan after Germany had been defeated. Fawcett and DC put out 13 titles that specifically mentioned the 7th War Loan on the covers while some other publishers (primarily Dell, Eastern Color and Novelty Press) put some type of call for buying more bonds on their covers.

The DC covers are my favorites because they integrate the bond push into the actions of the characters on the covers while Fawcett just put a 7th War Loan box on their covers. Other publishers did not mention the 7th War Loan by name but either put a request to buy more bonds or, with Dell, printed a copy of the letter that was distributed to the media with the signatures of 7 military leaders speaking of the need to fund the end of the war.

My initial interest was strictly in the DC and Fawcetts since I ended up being the winning bidder in a couple CLink auctions and started looking into what the 7th War Loan was all about. Gerber's books helped me find most of the issues as did the Grand Comics Database. I have finally gotten more interested in some of the other publishers as well that participated in the drive by suggesting more war bonds on their covers. I have gotten the 6 on the 4th shelf and have at least that many more to get if I want to have them all. In any case, I have enjoyed getting this collection based on a theme rather than a single title, though the Master Comics 62 and the Wow Comics 37 certainly took the longest to find.

Mickey

120625.jpg.c609d13aea35f712f56a0c1cad7921e9.jpg

120626.jpg.05bb60798b7fbcd77b8a2b264e7cf21a.jpg

Very nice collection Mickey. What are you gonna collect next?

The list of possibilities is huge...unfortunately my comic fund is not... :sorry:

One of my ongoing interests is the Barry Windsor Smith issues of Conan, all in the same grade. I had a Conan #1 in 7.5 and then found 3 or 4 others soon after that were also in that grade so I figured I could see if I could get issues 1-24 all CGC 7.5. Over the past 2 years I've gotten 15 of them so far in grade, not sure if I'll ever get them all because there's only 1 or 2 of some issues in that grade but it's been pretty fun.

As far as other Golden Age issues go I've thought about getting the first appearances of all the primary Archie characters outside of Pep 22 (since that's getting priced more and more out of range every day). I've also thought about motorcycle covers since I am a fan of motorcycles and there's some great early Batman covers and at least one good Superman but there's so manyof those out there that I think that collection would take on a life of its own and I'd ignore all other interests. Otherwise I'm just interested in various key issues which of course all require time and savings so I guess I'm pretty up in the air right now.

Very nice collection Mickey. What are you gonna collect next?

The list of possibilities is huge...unfortunately my comic fund is not... :sorry:

(snip)... I've also thought about motorcycle covers since I am a fan of motorcycles and there's some great early Batman covers and at least one good Superman but there's so manyof those out there that I think that collection would take on a life of its own and I'd ignore all other interests. Otherwise I'm just interested in various key issues which of course all require time and savings so I guess I'm pretty up in the air right now.

I like those Batman motorcycle covers but I am still missing the Detective covers.

Buying the Captain America motorcycle covers has been tough. Prices are high.

4809391837_bba5ac09bb_z.jpg