• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic/fantasy art poster collection

14 posts in this topic

Hey all,

I had purchased a comic collection back in 2003, and when I went to pick it up the seller and his wife ended up giving me a bunch of items that weren't part of the original deal.

With that being said, they gave me 4 comic long boxes full of posters. 90% of the posters are sealed and have never been opened. I had a list that the original owner put together for me, but I have since lost it. Most of the posters are from the 80s and 90s. The ones that are open were frank frazetta fantasy art, boris vallejo art, nightmare before christmas movie, and marvel battlestar galatica (from 78-80).

Everything else is sealed. So my question is, can I open these to see what they are? Will that effect the value? Is there a pop culture/comic/fantasy art poster collector market? What do they look for in regards to condition (I imagine it's a lot like comics)?

Thanks

Hey all,

I had purchased a comic collection back in 2003, and when I went to pick it up the seller and his wife ended up giving me a bunch of items that weren't part of the original deal.

With that being said, they gave me 4 comic long boxes full of posters. 90% of the posters are sealed and have never been opened. I had a list that the original owner put together for me, but I have since lost it. Most of the posters are from the 80s and 90s. The ones that are open were frank frazetta fantasy art, boris vallejo art, nightmare before christmas movie, and marvel battlestar galatica (from 78-80).

Everything else is sealed. So my question is, can I open these to see what they are? Will that effect the value? Is there a pop culture/comic/fantasy art poster collector market? What do they look for in regards to condition (I imagine it's a lot like comics)?

Thanks

Pretty cool! I'd probably spend some time on Ebay looking around, but like most collections of anything - most of it isn't worth much, and there's probably a small percentage of things that are worth something.

You're going to want to be careful opening and unrolling them, as they are printed on lightweight paper (like a 60# or 80# text), and you can dent, ding and bend them easily.

If you can find four small beanbags, you can unroll them carefully, lay the bags on each corner so the poster lays flat for you to review. The best way to store them is in a flat file, but if you don't have one - you may just have to carefully roll them back up.

If you have someplace flat to store them, carefully backroll them over a tube for a few hours, then re-lay them out and they will stay flat.

I'm sure you could sell some of them here. I'd be interested to see what you've got.

Count me in as well, esp on the BSG poster or Frazettas. I'm not looking for rarities, though - mostly stuff to hang up in the man cave.

I'm sure you could sell some of them here. I'd be interested to see what you've got.

Count me in as well, esp on the BSG poster or Frazettas. I'm not looking for rarities, though - mostly stuff to hang up in the man cave.

+1