• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LAS VEGAS COMIC EXPO - SEPTEMBER 29-30, 2012

275 posts in this topic

Will it be possible to pick up prepaid tix on Friday?

I would also like to know if Friday pick-up is possible as well.

I'm thinking probably not though since the organizers will probably still be setting up that night and probably may not have the man power to have pre-reg booth pick-up, would be a great thing though!

How about on Saturday, how early will the ticket booths be open? Want to get a head start on getting the tix, get breakfast then come back when the doors open.

Just got back from a day the the Expo. Had a really good time, this show has the makings of a winner. Fun crowd, nice atmosphere. Harley and Torpedo were the big vintage book sellers.

I really hope this happens again, same time next year. Weather was awesome today, everyone looked like they were having a good time.

Hope all the vendors did well! :wishluck:

Kudos to the organizers!

I just got back from the con myself. I thought it was a good event. Good turnout for the first show here. Artist alley was easy to get thru, as there weren't a lot of lines. The highlight of the show for me was Bob Layton. Had my 14 year old nephew with me and I was explaining who Bob Layton was. I showed him a couple of Iron Man covers he had done and my nephew says "they don't look that good". So when we walked by his table there was nobody at his there and he was just sitting there drawing a sketch for someone. I got to talk to him for about 20 minutes or so. I told him what my nephew said and he looked at him and said "Oh really?" and pointed at his portfolio. My nephew looked thru it and goes "wow, you really are good". Layton replied "thanks".

Funniest part was when he said that his 86 year old mother finally understood what he did for a living when the first Iron Man movie came out. He also said he was a huge Iron Man fan and it was his favorite character.

I picked up a signed print from Bob. He asked if I wanted personalized. Told him if he liked, but, it wasn't important and that it was going up on the wall in a frame. He thanked me for for that and shook my hand. It was a pleasure talking with him and recommend everyone to go see him.

My nephew got a nice Deadpool print, signed by Marat Mychaels, who was also really nice to deal with. Props to him. He had a very nice portfolio as well.

Only book I picked up was a nice copy of Avengers 57, which they graded at VG, but, I think it is more of a Fine. Got a good deal either way. My nephew picked up a bunch of ASM books, out of the .50 / $1.00 boxes and a VG copy of ASM 86.

All in all we had a fun time there and look forward to next year. Hopefully I won't be short on cash for it.

Just finished a very productive first day at the show myself. I thought it was a great turnout, great crowd, and good energy in the room. Lots of cool sketches got produced and books got signed. I had a little time to shop in the morning and scored some good deals... I hope to have more shopping time tomorrow.

Tonight though, dinner and more time at the poker tables... :) I'm hoping everyone has a good time (but not too good of a time) so I can see them tomorrow. :)

Joel

added two sketches to the pile.. one by jon hughes (jonhughesart.com) and i couldnt be happier with it... so badass!

3s9Ill.jpg

and one new guy on artists alley who had never done a sketch on a book before and i think it turned out pretty good (james potter)

xLIKDl.jpg

There was a lot of people there on Saturday afternoon. If the show returns next year, I hope they stay with the Riviera instead of holding it at an off strip property. I had a decent time overall.

I went with my wife and our girlfriend and they both loved it. We will definitely be back next year. :headbang: We got home yesterday so I haven't had a chance to post my cool sketch covers that I picked up. Enjoyed meeting Shadroch there. Hopefully I will have more time to hang out with him next time.

Show was much more crowded than I expected, although Saturdays crowd was much better than Sundays.

The layout was very nice, and I had no trouble getting my prepaid pass- stood on line less than five minutes.

The swag bag for the prepaid was very nice- an added bonus as I didn't even know they were offering one at the time I purchased my ticket.

One of the items was a nice Simon Bisley print that he happily signed for me, and a few minutes discussion with him got me a very nice sketch in return for a pint of Guiness.

Got a quick sketch from Brian Pulido for my three minute sketchbook, and then a nice Batman sketch from Len Wein ,of all people.

Len sat by himself most of the weekend, as people passed by ignoring him. Their loss as the few who stopped were warmly greeted and Len has some great stories to share. I bought a X-Men Omni and had him sign it for me. Len is a great guy who is battling health issues.

My only downer was JG Jones twice refusing to sign my 3 minute sketch book.

I didn't like his attitude, at all. Scott Campell was great, Adam Hughes was okay, and there were many young artist happy to do sketch and sign for free.

Bisley was outstanding.

The comic selection was a tad light, though Torpedo comics had an amazing selection. Multiple AF 15s, FF1s and the like. Harley had an abbreviated version of his major con booths and I'm happy to say loves In and Out Burger.

Not a lot of CGC books, in fact two vendors were very very anti-CGC, but thats for another thread.

Another downer was Herb Trimpes cancelation. I'd hoped to get a nice blank cover sketch done at the show but with the aid of Conrad from Desert wind, I'll still get it.

He and his wife were a pleasure to converse with, as was Joel Elad who was at their boooth when I got there.

Met Big Daddy and his wife and had a great time with the crew of Avatar comics.

Didn't buy much. The X-Men Omni. a Metal Men #1 in CGC 4.0 and a raw Hawkman #1 in the 4.0 range.

All in all, a very nice show and I hope it becomes an annual tradition.

Kudos to the organizers.

Another downer was Herb Trimpes cancelation. I'd hoped to get a nice blank cover sketch done at the show but with the aid of Conrad from Desert wind, I'll still get it.

He and his wife were a pleasure to converse with, as was Joel Elad who was at their boooth when I got there.

I was wondering who that little gremlin was running around my booth during the show. Sharon loves to hire new pets to entertain us during the show. Now I know what she called him, 'Conrad". lol Or was that really Joel in costume? LMAO

There were nearly 50 pieces up for auction, all with 100% proceeds going to the F.A.C.T. local charity, who collected all of the funds.

I wish I took photos, but I think they'll be posting some on their website later on as a photo gallery to recap the 2012 event, as it was a very nice display and great system (initially a silent auction, then the highest bidder was the first bidder for the live auction) that was organized, to the bidder's benefit (since there wasn't enough time for pre-show hype nor integrating internet bidding for those not attending) with pieces going for bargain prices.

The Simon Bisley original art used for the print went for a little over $1,000.

The Stephane Roux original art used for the convention program guide cover went for $200.

I think the Adam Hughes "Artists Proof" Wonder Woman print with the rights for Adam to do a remarked sketch on the print went for shy of $200.

The Ale Garza original art used for the Zenescope exclusive cover went for $300. I think his trading/playing card art went for about $200.

The J. Scott Campbell Danger Girl sketch covers (he did 2 for the auction) went for, I think $200-300.

There were pieces by Bob Layton, Mike Choi, Andrew Pepoy, Chrisie Zullo, Joe Benitez, and others that sold for the $100-200 range.

A lot of the pieces were unique creations used in their inaugural Playing Card Deck, so were published as printed and colored pieces. The artists also included Mike Mignola, Jay Anacleto, Philip Tan, and many others.

There also was something for everyone, including items in the $20 range, including artists prints, toys, and an autographed photo of Tricia Helfer.

Anyone have pics/prices of the charity art auction pieces that was sold on Saturday?

Show was much more crowded than I expected, although Saturdays crowd was much better than Sundays.

The layout was very nice, and I had no trouble getting my prepaid pass- stood on line less than five minutes.

Len sat by himself most of the weekend, as people passed by ignoring him. Their loss as the few who stopped were warmly greeted and Len has some great stories to share. I bought a X-Men Omni and had him sign it for me. Len is a great guy who is battling health issues.

My only downer was JG Jones twice refusing to sign my 3 minute sketch book.

Agree with most of your observations. The convention had a nice layout and was able to move around it well.

Len's table had a steady line after his panel on Saturday. I actually waited for the line to get under 10 people for me to jump in. Len and Brian Pulido were the only ones asking for $1 per sig (Brian will sign 1 for free and then ask for $1 for each addition for Hero Initiative), which I gladly paid for since its been rare for me to catch them at Cons.

When you asked JG Jones to sign, did he have a placard on his table stating his signing times? I know I had to come back at a certain time late Sat. morning even though he was at his table when the show opened because he was busy painting a commission. Once his two signing times came up though he was more than cool to sign for people including my big stack of books. Had this issue happen to a couple artists like Segovia, Paguluyan and Philip Tan where their art rep. asked me to come back at a certain time so that they could finish the commissions they were working on without getting interrupted by fans every few minutes asking for sigs. Once I came back at the requested time, all the artists signed my stuff and chatted a bit.

Also bummed on Herb Trimpe cancelling out too, didn't find out why until the next day since there was no sign at his table on Sat. announcing that he was sick.

All in all a fun little convention with some pretty big names popped up.

I was wondering who that little gremlin was running around my booth during the show. Sharon loves to hire new pets to entertain us during the show. Now I know what she called him, 'Conrad". lol Or was that really Joel in costume? LMAO

Call me Ishmael.

There were nearly 50 pieces up for auction, all with 100% proceeds going to the F.A.C.T. local charity, who collected all of the funds.

I wish I took photos, but I think they'll be posting some on their website later on as a photo gallery to recap the 2012 event, as it was a very nice display and great system (initially a silent auction, then the highest bidder was the first bidder for the live auction) that was organized, to the bidder's benefit (since there wasn't enough time for pre-show hype nor integrating internet bidding for those not attending) with pieces going for bargain prices.

The Simon Bisley original art used for the print went for a little over $1,000.

The Stephane Roux original art used for the convention program guide cover went for $200.

I think the Adam Hughes "Artists Proof" Wonder Woman print with the rights for Adam to do a remarked sketch on the print went for shy of $200.

The Ale Garza original art used for the Zenescope exclusive cover went for $300. I think his trading/playing card art went for about $200.

The J. Scott Campbell Danger Girl sketch covers (he did 2 for the auction) went for, I think $200-300.

There were pieces by Bob Layton, Mike Choi, Andrew Pepoy, Chrisie Zullo, Joe Benitez, and others that sold for the $100-200 range.

A lot of the pieces were unique creations used in their inaugural Playing Card Deck, so were published as printed and colored pieces. The artists also included Mike Mignola, Jay Anacleto, Philip Tan, and many others.

There also was something for everyone, including items in the $20 range, including artists prints, toys, and an autographed photo of Tricia Helfer.

Anyone have pics/prices of the charity art auction pieces that was sold on Saturday?

Wow, I'm glad I purposely stayed away from the auction, as I think I would've spent WAY too much money there that I don't have... :) Can't wait to see the pics from this too.

Overall, I think the weekend went very well. I know I was busy running around as the CAW for the event, as I got to see some GORGEOUS sketch covers get created. (You know who you are) Had to be careful not to drool on the covers, don't want any grade drops. :) It was great meeting new and familiar boardies alike, and mingling with that list of writers and artists, as well as Vegas and Cali fans is always fun.

I loved the layout: spacious, easy to navigate, easy to find everyone I thought. Campbell enjoyed a healthy line most of the weekend, as did Adam Hughes on Sunday, but many of the big names had a steady audience, and those fans got much better access to these creators than at a big show. Simon Bisley was always drawing, it seemed, with an adoring crowd watching and talking. I did feel bad for Len at times, but he took everything in stride and had some great conversations with fans during the weekend too.

Big kudos to Charles, his fellow Lee brothers, Jimmy Jay, Tatiana, DWC, and everyone involved with putting this show together and participating. Can't wait for next year!

There was a lot of people there on Saturday afternoon. If the show returns next year, I hope they stay with the Riviera instead of holding it at an off strip property. I had a decent time overall.

According to my LCS, they have said they will be holding the Las Vegas con again next year.

**EDIT** Just got an e-mail for the Expo 2013

http://www.facebook.com/events/514713291889856/