• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LAS VEGAS COMIC EXPO - SEPTEMBER 29-30, 2012

275 posts in this topic

The Las Vegas Comic Expo seems to have a little bit of something for everyone, and at an affordable entry fee too.

With so many superstar artists scheduled to appear, fan's can't all be in one line at once, so the organizers did an excellent job of essentially bringing an All-Star line-up of talent with so many to choose from, ultimately everyone will be able to meet their favorites as well as get turned onto new creators and artists in the process too.

If you collect artwork and autographs, this is the a great show. If you're an emerging artist and fan, it's an opportunity to get up close and personal to meet so many superstars.

LVCE is a show that doesn't have the same swagger as what's 'across the street", so has a much different appeal and the two shows can't really be compared nor I think aren't even competing against each other.

In my opinion, I'd say don't take the $25 LVCE ticket price for GRANTed, as comic fans can probably get much MORR bang for their buck, which IS at going to be this cON, than they might get from paying $699+ elsewhere (a ticket to LVCE costs less than the "Fee" or even the "Tax" charged for the other "experience"), so if you could afford to go to both, I'd encourage that, but if you can only afford to go to one, check out both sites and make your own judgment.

Where else other than major shows like New York Comic Con, Heroes in Charlotte, and/or San Diego Comic Con would you get a gathering of a "who's who" top "hall of famer" calibre names like, these Top Ten headliners, who will be at the LVCE:

Simon Bisley

Mark Brooks

J Scott Campbell

David Finch

Adam Hughes

JG Jones

Iain McCaig

Mike Mignola

Len Wein

Dean Yeagle

...all gathering in one venue over the weekend. Some do commissions, and from what I remember, all are very fan friendly and sign autographs for FREE.

Looks like the website has updated their list of panels as well as dealers.

Am I the only one who thinks the price of the Con that will be across the street is a little insane?

Here's the latest updated list of the 50 artists and writers appearing at Las Vegas Comic Expo:

Jay Anacleto

Eric Basaldua (EBAS)

Joe Benitez

Simon Bisley

Blond

Brieanna Brock

Mark Brooks

Brian Buccellato

J Scott Campbell

Eric Canete

Mike Choi

Mike Costa

Jeremy Dale

Josh Fialkov

David Finch

Patrick Finch

Tony Fleecs

Ale Garza

Joel Gomez

Brian Haberlin

Kyle Higgins

Adam Hughes

Drew Edward Johnson

JG Jones

Janet Lee

Frank Mastromauro

Iain McCaig

Jim McCann

Heubert Khan Michael

Marat Mychaels

Mike Mignola

Carlo Pagulayan

Dan Panosian

Brian Pulido

Andrew Pepoy

Riki Riddle

Stephane Roux

Nei Ruffino

Chris Ryder

Matteo Scalera

Stephen Segovia

Allison Sohn

Beth Sotelo

Cat Staggs

Peter Steigerwald

Philip Tan

Joe Weems

Len Wein

Dean Yeagle

Chrissie Zullo

...and I though I heard, they're about to pull another rabbit out of their hat and are in the midst of signing yet another popular COMIC BOOK ARTIST to attend that should impress the local Las Vegas comic book community and inspire folks from out of town to travel and come to LVCE to join in what looks to be a fantastic show!

Morrison Con

Where you can hang out with "Grant Morrison, ROBERT KIRKMAN, DARICK ROBERTSON, JASON AARON, JIM LEE, GERARD WAY, JONATHAN HICKMAN, FRANK QUITELY, J.H. WILLIAMS III and CHRIS BURNHAM" for as little as $600 to about $1100 before taxes.

It seems to be focused on club kids, and those that are attempting to break into comics. If I had paid this much I would have been really pissed with the panels that where released. Why not just go to San Diego or New York. (shrug)

I would take LVCE over this anyday.

In that spirit, people should be encouraged to attend this year's show in 2012 so that there will be a show in 2013, and be there in 2012 to provide feedback in order to have a voice for what they'd like to see in 2013, rather than have fans speculate or judge from the sidelines of a computer, actually show up and check it out, especially the Las Vegas locals, who have the most to gain by supporting shows like this and enabling organizers to bring in talent and prove the naysayers wrong that Vegas does indeed have a thriving comic book collecting community.

I've been to the dozen or so comic book stores in Las Vegas and they're equally if not more passionate towards the hobby than the vibe I sometimes get in the metropolitan Los Angeles area (...but then again, just like with the NFL, where LA couldn't seem to get support for a team, there hasn't been a truly great show in the area in years).

For those who are thinking about attending next years show-- Many people said the same thing when the last major show was held.

The show was attended so poorly there was no next years show.

For those who are thinking about attending next years show-- Many people said the same thing when the last major show was held.

The show was attended so poorly there was no next years show.

I think there's a HUGE difference between the last big show, the "Extrosion" in 2002, and this show now... That show had no follow-up because they completely came about putting together and promoting the show incorrectly. I was an exhibitor at that show in 2002, unfortunately. I saw and felt that carnage first-hand and would be happy to discuss that show in length somewhere else. :)

This show, by comparison, while it does have a killer guest list that blows my socks off at least, is starting with a modest setup, in an off-strip hotel to reduce the distraction for guests and fans, and is not trying to be some instant "100,000 attendee" smash. I feel this show has the potential to grow organically to be a steady, fun, comic-based experience for the Vegas market. As someone who goes to a lot of regional shows, I can honestly say I've never seen a guest list like this for a 2 day show in its' first year, and I'm assuming they're going "all out" to combat that "hanging feeling" that Vegas can't support a show.

BOTTOM LINE: If you assume the show is going to fail, that's your right. But if you live in the local area, or can drive in or take a quick flight in, I say take a chance! What's the worst that can happen, you leave the show and party in Las Vegas? You go across the street and try to crash MorrisonCon and hang with Grant? :)

Think of it this way... If nobody shows up to this show, think of the UNPRECEDENTED ACCESS you're going to have to these guests! If you saw the sketches that came out of shows like the Extrosion, or the 2010 Pasadena "Rock 'N Comic Con", or other low attended shows, you'd be AMAZED! It's the hidden secret of art collectors everywhere.

All I know is, I'm going, coming into Vegas on Friday, and barely rolling home Sunday night or Monday. Hope to see you all there!

I'll be rolling in from Salt Lake with the wife and girlfriend ;) Looking forward to enjoying the whole convention experience, comics, cosplay and comic art. And when we get our fill of that off to party Vegas style. lol:headbang:

I'm going and hope the show is a success.

As a collector/seller of SA/ BA books I'm disappointed with the list of dealers so far. The list of artists may be impressive to most folks, but quite frankly I've never heard of the majority of them. Not sure if most of them will attract out of town attendees to come.

As recently as last week, I was considering take a booth at this show but the logistics and the memory of the 2002 show made me hold off. As of now, i'm budgeting a few hours Saturday to attend and then a late Sunday run to pick up some bargins as the show ends.

I will go to the show and support it, but if there is no vintage comics dealers there, then my interest will be very limited. I am at heart a comic "collector". I like looking at old comics.

I want to go to a Vegas comic con, but with no vintage dealer's it's not a option with the expense for flight's etc. Very disappointing, hopefully someday, a number of national dealer's will set up in Vegas, for a real comic con (thumbs u

What I don't get is how the organizers don't see that this board is mostly, collectors. To come on here and hype the show, yet not be forthcoming that there will be very little emphasis on vintage comics is confusing to me. The majority of people who frequent the CGC boards are collectors.

Cool, Grant Morrison will be there, I may pull out a nice Swamp Thing for him to sign. Is that a reason I would travel from out of town for a convention? Not me. I collect comics. Tell me 5 or 10 dealers will be there, and the Grant Morrison thing becomes a bonus for me.

I know there are some people who will go for the creators that will be there, but if you really want a comic show to be successful, cater to collectors and fans alike and you will have a great show. As this one stands, you just haven't demonstrated that it is worthwhile for collectors.

And....it really sounds like collectors of vintage books WANT this to be something they would travel to! If you build it, we will come!

Just my 2c

Grant Morrison will not be there :makepoint:

He'll be across the street with his friends and whomever wants to pony up the money needed to hang out with him. You qualify for one of their $499 packages as a local.

Just my 2c

He'll be across the street with his friends and whomever wants to pony up the money needed to hang out with him. You qualify for one of their $499 packages as a local.

Just my 2c

They are not offering the local ($499) package anymore.

They have the $699 package for sale ($699 + $30.92 (ticket fee) + 37.08 (tax) =

$787).

Also be aware that only the guests will be selling stuff. There will be no dealers

set up (from their FAQ page).

John H.

I think in Las Vegas, to pay $499 for the "rights and privileges" to hang out with people, who are only allowing you to be in their presence because you paid them ("buying friends!" ?) to let you into their group seems a bit unflattering of a social proposition, almost feels like prostitution.

In fact, on the Vegas strip, I think $499 can get you much better and more attractive companionship :)

Just my 2c

What I don't get is how the organizers don't see that this board is mostly, collectors. To come on here and hype the show, yet not be forthcoming that there will be very little emphasis on vintage comics is confusing to me. The majority of people who frequent the CGC boards are collectors.

Cool, Grant Morrison will be there, I may pull out a nice Swamp Thing for him to sign. Is that a reason I would travel from out of town for a convention? Not me. I collect comics. Tell me 5 or 10 dealers will be there, and the Grant Morrison thing becomes a bonus for me.

I know there are some people who will go for the creators that will be there, but if you really want a comic show to be successful, cater to collectors and fans alike and you will have a great show. As this one stands, you just haven't demonstrated that it is worthwhile for collectors.

And....it really sounds like collectors of vintage books WANT this to be something they would travel to! If you build it, we will come!

Just my 2c

+1

I'm showing up and spending my $$$$.

I can't let Joel get all the good deals...

John H.

HEY! :) (pause) Come to think of it, John and I shop in MUCH different leagues... :) Have at it, John, I think we both will do very well here... :)

I understand a lot of what's being said here. I've heard a few dealer names, at least 1 national dealer that we've all heard of, that I thought were coming to the show, but they haven't been announced yet, so I guess the final details are being ironed out. I think the stigma of the 2002 show is weighing on people's minds.

I have encountered the same resistance here in San Diego when Rey and I were putting together our So Cal Comic Con. Even in year 3, we're encountering people who wonder if we're associated with any previous shows in the area, and we have to emphatically say "no, that's not us." It's gotta be a good mix of dealers and guests.

Personally, I'm hoping to see more Vegas shops on the list like Comic Oasis, Cosmic Comics, and maybe Maximum Comics. There's still some time but I'm hopeful the next couple of weeks will have some great announcements. I'm hopeful the strength of the guest list will encourage out of towners to make the trip and that the Vegas comic community can come together to attend and help remove this stigma. :) Let's see what happens!