• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LAS VEGAS COMIC EXPO - SEPTEMBER 29-30, 2012

275 posts in this topic

I think you'd have a great time, Jeff. If it's your first trip to Las Vegas, you would probably want a room on the Strip but if you want a quiet place to recover each night, I agree with Rick. 

There's a lot to do in Vegas besides gamble so if you can make it, do some research and see what interests of yours are out there. .

I can vouch for a few of the strip hotels and a few off strip hotels...  Most of the strip hotels will be pricier, especially on the weekends..

The Mandalay bay has really decent accomidations, a bit pricey, and not too far from convention.. Also you are right down the street from one of our out door malls which has a theater and lots of decent bars and restraurants..  I like the bay a bunch because they have the house of blues onsite and are at the end of the strip, so you can get a cool view of the whole strip depending on your room.. Also easily accessible to the freeway

The Luxor which is right next door to the Mandalay bay is also nice very similar to the pricing and distance, lots of food on site as well as some shows..

For the off strip you will usually get a lower price, slightly less options but still very nice.. The Silverton has really decent rates most of the time and food and some entertainment on site.. They are however a fairly lengthy drive to the convention.  

The M while technically still on las Vegas blvd , they are off strip because of their distance from the other hotels.. They are one of the first hotels you will see when coming into Vegas from California... Their distance may be a big turn off if you are wanting to be close to the con, However, their pricing is pretty decent last I checked and they have great food onsite, and a nice pool area.. 

As for entertainment, we always have things to do in Vegas, including shows, sports, and scantily clad women:

Wicked( the musical) should be in town still at the smith Center and I highly recommend it if you haven't seen it before.. I think the kings and the avalanche will be in town that weekend at the MGM if you like hockey..  Carrot top is one of our better comedians in town at the Luxor.. I liked it way better than I thought I would when I saw it.. Blue man group,  cirque du soliel's KA, Love and the jabbawockeez I have all seen and would recommend as well.

When I head out town for pleasure I always like to feast, and in Vegas we have tons of options.. At the outdoor mall we have a Brazilian steak house called Texas de Brazil, for about 45$ a person you can get your fill of all  sorts of cuts of meats and their salad bar is great. The Mandalay bay has a very decent buffet, however the Wicked Spoon at the cosmopolitan hotel is pretty damn tasty.. They even have a Mac and cheese bar where you can make your own creation. at the M they have an all you can eat and drink buffet if I recall although it is a bit pricey..

All of this depends on your tastes and needs, and I'd say being born and raised here for thirty years I've been all over, and if you were looking for anything In particular just let me know. (more adult themed things as well :P )

That being said I'll also agree with the above about Alexis Park.. Very nice place, and it's hard to beat 69$ a night and a free ticket if you are one of the first to book.. It's also really close to some nice eateries and entertainment, and a few minutes from the strip..

Southwest Airlines www.southwest.com has flights for sale from Los Angeles to Las Vegas for this convention (Sept 29-30) for as low as $57 each way, depending on the date (coming in early or staying late) and time you want to fly.

Southwest Airlines www.southwest.com has flights for sale from Los Angeles to Las Vegas for this convention (Sept 29-30) for as low as $57 each way, depending on the date (coming in early or staying late) and time you want to fly.

Thanks for the heads up (thumbs u

You're Welcome!

Also as an FYI, you can book a flight on SWA and then online if you ever see the price go down (a lot of time the "web only" cheapest rate varies between the time you book and the date of your flight, often being reduced) you can just click on "CHANGE FLIGHT" and swap out the existing flight you booked with the same flight at the lower rate, which prompts a rate reduction for the same booking, I think in the form of a credit which you can use for a future purchase/flight. So, in that way, it's good to lock in what appears to be a good rate, and if the rate gets better, you can take advantage of savings by making an easy adjustment.

Thanks for the heads up (thumbs u

On CAF, it was announced nearly a dozen more comic book celebrities are coming to Las Vegas for the Las Vegas Comic Expo:

http://www.comicartfans.com/SubNewsDetails.asp?NID=3761

A lot of the new generation of rising star Asian artists in the comic book industry too...

Jay Anacleto

Eric Canete

Mike Choi

Heubert Khan Michael

Carlo Pagulayan

Stephen Segovia

Philip Tan

Here's the link to the LVCE guest list:

http://lasvegascomicexpo.com/guests/

Booked my room a couple of weeks ago. Still haven't heard if I got the free tickets or not though. Not too concerned but it would be nice to get that since I'm coming from BC, Canada.

Really looking forward to the show. What a great guest list. Will there be any pre-show sketch signing lists?

Anyone planning on some poker too?

DWC CGC SS submissions I assume?

They do have it listed on their events page so you may be assuming correctly.. http://desertwindcomics.com/wordpress/events/

One of the reps for lvce replied a week or so ago and said they were making arrangements as well..

Either way going to be one heck of a shindig... Lots of great guests that im looking forward to expanding my collection with...my wife very well may consider this early Christmas :P

Now if only they could rustle up Stephen platt ( got a real solid wolvie 310 1:200 I wanted signed )

Anyone interested in trading their comics for rooms at The Grand Desert resort( some two yards away from show, one long block from the strip) please PM me.

Right now I can accomadate anything from a share in a two bedroom condo for the weekend to a three bedroom suite that sleeps ten for the week, but this offer is very limited.