• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Pogos / Walt Kelly Books!
5 5

387 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

Nice, these are give aways right? You don't see them too often.

Correct.  A lot of them are available at :

https://digitalcomicmuseum.com/index.php?cid=683

Most of the scans are mine, with a few placeholders taken from auction listings, and one issue from another scanner.  The book is frustratingly rare and I haven't filled a hole in well over a year.  In my opinion, the best work Kelly ever did in comic books.  (Comic STRIPS are a different matter.)

1 minute ago, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

It's too small to read but why does Pogo look like Pigpen from Peanuts in this strip? Beautiful pieces by the way!

It is a take off on Cinderella with Pogo in the lead. And thank you!

19 hours ago, mlansdown said:

I added another Walt Kelly cover to my collection, courtesy of a recent ComicLink auction.  Kelly on the cover and Barks on the interior - that checks a lot of boxes for me!

Our Gang 8 CGC 8.5.jpg

That's a beauty. I've been putting together both the Our Gang and Animal comics run. I've noticed that Our Gangs are plentiful but the Animal Comics don't pop up nearly as often.

10 hours ago, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

That's a beauty. I've been putting together both the Our Gang and Animal comics run. I've noticed that Our Gangs are plentiful but the Animal Comics don't pop up nearly as often.

I don't think either title is terribly rare.  I do need to work on my Our Gang run again fairly soon; I've got about 2/3 of the run. 

I think the challenge on Our Gang is the two March of Comics issues.  I have them both but they took some looking.

On 9/26/2020 at 1:48 PM, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

I rarely see Animal Comics offered in high grade - maybe they don't appear often because of lack of collector demand?  When I see them, I buy them!

13 hours ago, OtherEric said:

I don't think either title is terribly rare.  I do need to work on my Our Gang run again fairly soon; I've got about 2/3 of the run. 

I think the challenge on Our Gang is the two March of Comics issues.  I have them both but they took some looking.

I agree that these titles aren't rare, but I only seem to find 1-2 examples per year that I really like.  The hunt is always the best part of collecting...

Well EBay and the mail brought me a nice issue of Animal Comics #27 this week. Animal Comics are under appreciated containing lots of great art and fun stories.

Cover duties by Dan Noonan and Walt Kelly but Rover steals the show.

Animal27Cover.thumb.jpg.87755ac08df1a72937cbc4a2d6fe773a.jpg

Rover has moved up in the pecking order and is the lead story in the book. These Dan Noonan tales are really well done and would make a nice collection for a reprint book.

Animal27Rover.thumb.jpg.710edfb8acdca0781ef71b6839cffbb3.jpg

Next up is a Jigger tale. John Stanly struggles a bit getting eight pages of story out of this character in this particular romp but the drawings are fun.

Amimal27Jigger.thumb.jpg.9df032f2966f2e4ad33a77577721f8a1.jpg

Next up is Pogo; the language on these stories had to have been quite advanced for the audience of these books but the story and art are as charming as always.

Animal27Pogo.thumb.jpg.b8d02a0cb17d9a50ec7d9a0ac9691ae2.jpg

I was surprised by the great story and artwork in this tale of Chuckwagon Charley about a mare who ran off with a stallion and the colt they bred. Beautiful Mo Gollub artwork.

Animal27Horse.thumb.jpg.569ff5cfae62b8dc666d217b8380190d.jpg

Uncle Wiggly usually bores me to death; but this story was actually kind of fun. It's notable that he is now the last feature in the book. A bit of a stepdown from his starring role in the beginning of this title. These two pages featured some fun artwork.

Animal27Wiggly.thumb.jpg.6b3d422c470e01300525d5e5efe0e13a.jpg

Finally, Mo Gollub contributed a beautiful back cover to end this book. Remember, Dell Comics are Good Comics!!

Animal27Back.thumb.jpg.e9f7c14d60946c686c14cd55ed9ec4a2.jpg

I've got a copy of Animal Comics #7 showing up this week. The only character in common is Uncle Wiggly. I'll likely post next weekend.

2 hours ago, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

Well EBay and the mail brought me a nice issue of Animal Comics #27 this week. Animal Comics are under appreciated containing lots of great art and fun stories.

Cover duties by Dan Noonan and Walt Kelly but Rover steals the show.

Animal27Cover.thumb.jpg.87755ac08df1a72937cbc4a2d6fe773a.jpg

Rover has moved up in the pecking order and is the lead story in the book. These Dan Noonan tales are really well done and would make a nice collection for a reprint book.

Animal27Rover.thumb.jpg.710edfb8acdca0781ef71b6839cffbb3.jpg

Next up is a Jigger tale. John Stanly struggles a bit getting eight pages of story out of this character in this particular romp but the drawings are fun.

Amimal27Jigger.thumb.jpg.9df032f2966f2e4ad33a77577721f8a1.jpg

Next up is Pogo; the language on these stories had to have been quite advanced for the audience of these books but the story and art are as charming as always.

Animal27Pogo.thumb.jpg.b8d02a0cb17d9a50ec7d9a0ac9691ae2.jpg

I was surprised by the great story and artwork in this tale of Chuckwagon Charley about a mare who ran off with a stallion and the colt they bred. Beautiful Mo Gollub artwork.

Animal27Horse.thumb.jpg.569ff5cfae62b8dc666d217b8380190d.jpg

Uncle Wiggly usually bores me to death; but this story was actually kind of fun. It's notable that he is now the last feature in the book. A bit of a stepdown from his starring role in the beginning of this title. These two pages featured some fun artwork.

Animal27Wiggly.thumb.jpg.6b3d422c470e01300525d5e5efe0e13a.jpg

Finally, Mo Gollub contributed a beautiful back cover to end this book. Remember, Dell Comics are Good Comics!!

Animal27Back.thumb.jpg.e9f7c14d60946c686c14cd55ed9ec4a2.jpg

I've got a copy of Animal Comics #7 showing up this week. The only character in common is Uncle Wiggly. I'll likely post next weekend.

Animal comics is really a very eclectic title; as you point out even Pogo misses 3 issues.  I'm happy I got my run put together several years ago.

15 hours ago, OtherEric said:

Animal comics is really a very eclectic title; as you point out even Pogo misses 3 issues.  I'm happy I got my run put together several years ago.

It seems like they finally put a good run of features together at the end and then pulled the plug! I've been enjoying reading these and the Our Gang series. Dell really had a good line of books going in the mid to late forties.

I added a fun Walt Kelly wraparound cover to my collection today.  Mr. Kelly really likes to make his Huey Dewey Louie duck heads look like bowling balls.

I've owned several mid-grade raw copies of this book over the years, but it's hard to find VF or better examples.  This difficulty makes sense when I see that CGC only has two 8.0 copies as the highest-graded examples.  Most of the Dell Giants have file copies available, so I'm a bit disappointed that this book is an outlier.  It's noted as the first Dell Giant - I guess that means more years to accumulate wear. Just like me.

Perhaps there are some high-grade copies lurking raw in old-time collections?  Drop me a note if you have one to sell!

Christmas Parade 1 CGC 7.5.jpg

Christmas Parade 1 CGC 7.5 Back.jpg

1 hour ago, mlansdown said:

I added a fun Walt Kelly wraparound cover to my collection today.  Mr. Kelly really likes to make his Huey Dewey Louie duck heads look like bowling balls.

I've owned several mid-grade raw copies of this book over the years, but it's hard to find VF or better examples.  This difficulty makes sense when I see that CGC only has two 8.0 copies as the highest-graded examples.  Most of the Dell Giants have file copies available, so I'm a bit disappointed that this book is an outlier.  It's noted as the first Dell Giant - I guess that means more years to accumulate wear. Just like me.

Perhaps there are some high-grade copies lurking raw in old-time collections?  Drop me a note if you have one to sell!

Christmas Parade 1 CGC 7.5.jpg

Christmas Parade 1 CGC 7.5 Back.jpg

Yeah nice copies of that book don't come around too often but I bet some old time collectors have some un-slabbed copies; after all it contains some great Barks work!!

Edited by 50YrsCollctngCmcs

20 minutes ago, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

Wow wish my LCS had books like that!

I’ve been going there a couple years since my previous store closed.  They don’t have old books in great depth but they’re really good at getting in a small but steady stream of neat stuff