• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Pogos / Walt Kelly Books!
5 5

387 posts in this topic

On 2/1/2017 at 9:23 PM, 40YrsCollctngCmcs said:

Thanks, please post the interior pages if you can.

And, I then forgot to get around to this.  I'm not actually going to post the strip reprints, but those are easy enough to find these days.  But here's the intro, A Kelly "Biography" that's clearly actually Autobiography written in the third person, and the back cover.  I figure I need to post something here since I used the Easter thread for an actual Kelly cover.  So, all the actually rare material:

Special_Delivery_Pogo_02.jpg

Special_Delivery_Pogo_18.jpg

Special_Delivery_Pogo_19.jpg

Special_Delivery_Pogo_20.jpg

17 hours ago, OtherEric said:

Thank you!  I've actually discussed that panel with other fans, and nobody else ever seems to get the joke.  I, on the other hand, was laughing for a good five minutes the first time I saw it.  It might be my single favorite Kelly joke ever (which is not quite the same as his best.)  It's like a joke Kelly wrote for the future; I doubt a single person reading the book back then (other than the production staff actually working on it) got it.

That was certainly a surprise to read and unless you read the inidicia back in the day you were unlikely to get the joke!

On 4/17/2017 at 0:33 AM, OtherEric said:

And, I then forgot to get around to this.  I'm not actually going to post the strip reprints, but those are easy enough to find these days.  But here's the intro, A Kelly "Biography" that's clearly actually Autobiography written in the third person, and the back cover.  I figure I need to post something here since I used the Easter thread for an actual Kelly cover.  So, all the actually rare material:

Special_Delivery_Pogo_20.jpg

Kind of a back-handed compliment from MacLean's.

And I wonder if the syndicate's statement at the top is an indication of adventure strips predominating in those days?  If so, things certainly have changed.  There's only one non-humor strip (Mark Trail) left on my local paper's comics page.

And just got this in the mail today.  Low grade, even by my standards, but I'm happy to finally have a copy.  This is a surprisingly hard issue to track down, with three stories by Kelly- Our Gang, of course; but also the Billy Dollar war bond promo story and, most importantly, an Albert and Bumbazine story that's actually missing Pogo but is only the 4th story set in our beloved Okefenokee.  I haven't been looking as hard for this as for some books, but I think it's been on my radar to some degree since the 90's and this one just does not show up:

Our_Gang_06.jpg

It's always a little quiet here in the Kelly thread which is too bad. But surprise surprise; Kelly always seems to pop us somewhere in the early days of Dell comics. Here's some early Kelly work from WDCS #24 in 1942. It is the first original work created for that publication. I posted some other interior shots from the book in the Duck thread if anyone has an interest.

tn_WDCS24cover.jpg.7fd2a4d3d3cb4837574e456545ce0a37.jpgtn_WDCS24Gauchito.thumb.jpg.a5e271df731073d471a2796a5a42e13d.jpg

5 hours ago, 40YrsCollctngCmcs said:

Nice, I haven't seen that book before. It's interesting how they gave the copyright to Oskar Lebeck at the time instead of Dell. 

Interesting but common... Lebeck has the copyright on Fairy Tale Parade and Animal Comics, as well.

Tonight is a big night for Walt Kelly Pogo fans with lots of high grade books coming up on Heritage. A little rich for my blood as I'm used to picking up Pogo books as relative bargains. In the meantime I snagged this copy of Fairy Tale Parade #2 last week in the Heritage Sunday auction. The front cover red looks a little faded but it's a nice copy with some nice Kelly work as well as some other folk's contributing. And it has the Lebeck copyright too! I love the little details on these books, the decorative motifs on cover, back cover and inside covers; even following into the story headers.

tn_FairyTaleParade2cover.jpg

tn_FairyTaleParade2insidecover.jpg

tn_FairyTaleParade2Emperor.jpg

tn_FairyTaleParade2Sinbad1.jpg

tn_FairyTaleParade2Sinbad2.jpg

tn_FairyTaleParade2baclcover.jpg

Most of the Kelly books seemed to go high last night, at least compared with what I was expecting.  I did manage to snag this nice copy of Pogo Possum 2. Would like to have won the Stories of Christmas nn, but wasn't willing to chase it north of $1K.

lf_zpsfevnqifk.JPG

27 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Most of the Kelly books seemed to go high last night, at least compared with what I was expecting.  I did manage to snag this nice copy of Pogo Possum 2. Would like to have won the Stories of Christmas nn, but wasn't willing to chase it north of $1K.

lf_zpsfevnqifk.JPG

Congratulations! Prices were surprisingly strong; can't imagine there is suddenly a hot Pogo market but you never know. Maybe biting political satire is making a come back.

On 13 November 2017 at 7:45 AM, 40YrsCollctngCmcs said:

Tonight is a big night for Walt Kelly Pogo fans with lots of high grade books coming up on Heritage. A little rich for my blood as I'm used to picking up Pogo books as relative bargains. In the meantime I snagged this copy of Fairy Tale Parade #2 last week in the Heritage Sunday auction. The front cover red looks a little faded but it's a nice copy with some nice Kelly work as well as some other folk's contributing. And it has the Lebeck copyright too! I love the little details on these books, the decorative motifs on cover, back cover and inside covers; even following into the story headers.

tn_FairyTaleParade2insidecover.jpg

tn_FairyTaleParade2Emperor.jpg

tn_FairyTaleParade2Sinbad1.jpg

Beautiful stuff Frank. Thanks for posting the inside pics.