• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Pogos / Walt Kelly Books!
5 5

387 posts in this topic

Well they had a small comic con today and it was my first since January 2020. @Robot Man told me about the show and he had a fun table set up. I was glad to be able to pick up this nice Our Gang from him with Kelly on the cover and inside and Barks turning in a Barney the Bear and Benny Burro story on the inside as well.

OurGang14.thumb.jpg.c58bc2bc13985349309cbb0553f615a9.jpg

15 hours ago, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

Well they had a small comic con today and it was my first since January 2020. @Robot Man told me about the show and he had a fun table set up. I was glad to be able to pick up this nice Our Gang from him with Kelly on the cover and inside and Barks turning in a Barney the Bear and Benny Burro story on the inside as well.

OurGang14.thumb.jpg.c58bc2bc13985349309cbb0553f615a9.jpg

Thanks for the purchase 50. Good to see you. Great to finally get back to a show huh? I try to explain to civilians why I do them. When you walk through the door you go to a place where everyone is smiling and happy. 

42 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Thanks for the purchase 50. Good to see you. Great to finally get back to a show huh? I try to explain to civilians why I do them. When you walk through the door you go to a place where everyone is smiling and happy. 

Yeah it's like I'm thirteen again walking into my first comic con every time!!

I sat down and read the Our Gang 14 yesterday. It really made me think about how different these stories are than the black and white shorts they are based upon. While the shorts always seemed to be primarily concerned with some extravagant contraption the gang put together that devolved into a crisis the stories are much more low key and well developed. The fact that Kelly was able to flush out the kid's characters beyond those shorts makes for some really enjoyable reading. There are a couple of Fantagraphics reprint volumes of these if anyone wants to check them out; they are well worth reading.

I wish I had found these as a kid when I was searching out Barks but they really weren't around too much or I just didn't notice. Oh and the Barks' stories while not as good as the ducks are always entertaining with his wonderful artwork gracing the pages.

So I've started looking for the early Pogo paperbacks. These are really wonderful books and while black and white offer some wonderful artwork by Mr. Kelly and original prose, poetry and comics. They are well printed and the covers are really well done as you can see below. They also beat Will Eisner to the Graphic Novel format by a good 20 years although the subject matter won't merit that distinction!

PogoMotherGoose.thumb.jpg.d7b4147cf09693e0c74dc22139c82301.jpg

Edited by 50YrsCollctngCmcs

I got my love of Pogo from my dad.  He was a physicist, not a comics guy, and followed the strip in one of those 400 newspapers.  He was especially fond of the G.O. Fizzickle Pogo story line that celebrated his profession.  I collected the Animal Comics and Pogo runs in his honor, the softcover reprints were his.

IMG_7155.JPG

IMG_7156.JPG

IMG_7157.JPG

IMG_7158.JPG

IMG_7159.JPG

I think someone has mentioned the sell price increase before.  I don't know where they got all of the orange ink but it seems to work for glorious sunsets in the swamp.

51612086200_2ee4594295_b.jpg

I didn't check the dates but these seem earlier than my Scrooge 15 cent issues.

51611199191_49876188e9_b.jpg

Edited by BB-Gun

On 9/27/2020 at 2:03 AM, OtherEric said:

I don't think either title is terribly rare.  I do need to work on my Our Gang run again fairly soon; I've got about 2/3 of the run. 

I think the challenge on Our Gang is the two March of Comics issues.  I have them both but they took some looking.

I have one of them but don't think I have the other.

2553238087_9db1e6dd3a_b.jpg