• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Pogos / Walt Kelly Books!
5 5

387 posts in this topic

Love me some Animal Comics, and those copies look great! One of these days I need to get a group shot of my complete run to show around here...

Posted this in the Promo comic thread a few days ago, didn't get any comments. Maybe somebody here has something to say:

Special_Delivery_Pogo_zpsf42jgzpr.jpg

Not one you see that often, I was quite happy to find a cheap copy.

I believe that is a very scarce book. I was the one who told Overstreet about it many years ago. The price that was listed, was reported by me. I assume a lot more copies have turned up since then.

Love me some Animal Comics, and those copies look great! One of these days I need to get a group shot of my complete run to show around here...

Posted this in the Promo comic thread a few days ago, didn't get any comments. Maybe somebody here has something to say:

I believe that is a very scarce book. I was the one who told Overstreet about it many years ago. The price that was listed, was reported by me. I assume a lot more copies have turned up since then.

What's the back story on this book?

It appears to be a book sent out to sell newspapers on a fairly new comic strip. It has 10 weeks of daily Pogo strips from 1950 and a 2 page bio of Walt Kelly, plus the cover and a couple pages selling the strip. I'll see if I can scan the non-comic pages this weekend; the comic strips themselves are easy to find.

My copy has a printing error in the middle, the centerfold is horribly off-centered (the center pages only, the reverse is fine. So there's essentially one blank page and then one page of strips a page off from where it should be.

Thanks, please post the interior pages if you can.

It appears to be a book sent out to sell newspapers on a fairly new comic strip. It has 10 weeks of daily Pogo strips from 1950 and a 2 page bio of Walt Kelly, plus the cover and a couple pages selling the strip. I'll see if I can scan the non-comic pages this weekend; the comic strips themselves are easy to find.

My copy has a printing error in the middle, the centerfold is horribly off-centered (the center pages only, the reverse is fine. So there's essentially one blank page and then one page of strips a page off from where it should be.

Thanks, please post the interior pages if you can.

Edited by 40YrsCollctngCmcs

Great run; an under appreciated series for sure.

+1 I have a few of the Our Gangs and really like them. I might well end up with a few more of them some time.

I tend to rate Our Gang as the least of Kelly's major Comic Book projects, behind Pogo, his Fairy Tale work, and Peter Wheat. The lack of 'fantastic' elements kept him from producing his greatest work.

With that said, it's still one of Kelly's major works; and it's a masterpiece. Still need to fill in quite a few issues; 6 in particular is driving me nuts...

50 minutes ago, 40YrsCollctngCmcs said:

Well with the boards being back up I thought I might try to post an image to see how things work. How about a great Walt Kelly cover to start.

tn_Pinnochio.jpg.cf14068dc96897745762ee0f7a50c8eb.jpg

Always liked that one.

Nothing better on an Easter Sunday than to read some Walt Kelly work. I had picked up three Animal Comics at the Terry's California Comic Show and still had two to read so I picked up issue #16 today. Some fun Kelly work in here from the cover on to the Pogo story but what really made me chuckle was this funny panel from the Cilly Goose strip by Kelly. The back  cover is also another Kelly tour de force courtesy of some amorous elephants.

tn_AnimalComics16.jpg.607c0a8462175425ac366b58575716db.jpgtn_Animal16Int.jpg.e0f01a5b231374b00a42cfd2c49fec88.jpg

tn_Animal16Int2.thumb.jpg.57fcda1595884a083422dca042c27c46.jpgtn_AnimalComics16back.jpg.824a7bf7b2c5b8dd52ea6e543a13df56.jpg

5 hours ago, 40YrsCollctngCmcs said:

Nothing better on an Easter Sunday than to read some Walt Kelly work. I had picked up three Animal Comics at the Terry's California Comic Show and still had two to read so I picked up issue #16 today. Some fun Kelly work in here from the cover on to the Pogo story but what really made me chuckle was this funny panel from the Cilly Goose strip by Kelly. The back  cover is also another Kelly tour de force courtesy of some amorous elephants.

tn_AnimalComics16.jpg.607c0a8462175425ac366b58575716db.jpgtn_Animal16Int.jpg.e0f01a5b231374b00a42cfd2c49fec88.jpg

tn_Animal16Int2.thumb.jpg.57fcda1595884a083422dca042c27c46.jpgtn_AnimalComics16back.jpg.824a7bf7b2c5b8dd52ea6e543a13df56.jpg

Thank you!  I've actually discussed that panel with other fans, and nobody else ever seems to get the joke.  I, on the other hand, was laughing for a good five minutes the first time I saw it.  It might be my single favorite Kelly joke ever (which is not quite the same as his best.)  It's like a joke Kelly wrote for the future; I doubt a single person reading the book back then (other than the production staff actually working on it) got it.