• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Pogos / Walt Kelly Books!
5 5

387 posts in this topic

On 12/14/2017 at 11:23 PM, OtherEric said:

I really don't understand anybody who doesn't.

Tonight's Kelly goodness:

Peter_Wheat_31_Krug.jpg

That's a nice cover; now I want to know what happened to the Renegade Hornets!! I love the play that Kelly makes between the panel borders and the word balloons in the last two panels. What a master!

21 hours ago, Robot Man said:

compogo11.jpg

I keep hoping someone in the printing business will discuss what it took for Dell to produce these color gradient covers. I don't believe any other publisher was doing that in the fifties.  That is an awesome Pogo Christmas cover Robot Man. Thanks for posting!

1 hour ago, 40YrsCollctngCmcs said:

That's a nice cover; now I want to know what happened to the Renegade Hornets!! I love the play that Kelly makes between the panel borders and the word balloons in the last two panels. What a master!

A scan of the book will be going up at the digital comic museum in a few days, so you'll get your chance.  And yes, Kelly was one of the greatest masters of the comic art form who ever lived!

It was a bit of a Kelly bonanza for me today at the local LA comic show with an Animal, a Pogo and Kelly Covered WDCS crying out for me to take them home! The WDCS is attributed to Kelly but to my eye it may not be. The other books are the usual Kelly fun. Thanks to Brad Sloan for having the only proper Golden Age display today. The pages on the Pogo are blindingly white and the Animal felt unread when I opened it up. A great morning's fun!

tn_Animal13.jpg

tn_Pogo12.jpg

tn_WDCS102.jpg

5 hours ago, 40YrsCollctngCmcs said:

It was a bit of a Kelly bonanza for me today at the local LA comic show with an Animal, a Pogo and Kelly Covered WDCS crying out for me to take them home! The WDCS is attributed to Kelly but to my eye it may not be. The other books are the usual Kelly fun. Thanks to Brad Sloan for having the only proper Golden Age display today. The pages on the Pogo are blindingly white and the Animal felt unread when I opened it up. A great morning's fun!

tn_Animal13.jpg

tn_Pogo12.jpg

tn_WDCS102.jpg

Beautiful books all!  I agree that the WDC&S cover doesn't look very Kellyish to me, either; and not for the usual reason I have trouble spotting Kelly's work on the Ducks:  Normally, Kelly looks too on-model for me to readily spot his duck work; on this one Donald and whatever nephew is under the box in particular look off-model to me.

19 hours ago, 40YrsCollctngCmcs said:

tn_Animal13.jpg

tn_Pogo12.jpg

tn_WDCS102.jpg

Nice group.  I've made this observation before, but the WDC&S covers are my least favorite of Kelly's work.  The art is usually just ok and the gags aren't very good.  They are more in tune with the mayhem between Donald and the boys that was the theme of the Disney shorts than with the direction that Barks (thankfully!) took the stories.  I've often wondered whether Kelly even bothered to read Barks's stories. 

On 12/17/2017 at 1:15 PM, 40YrsCollctngCmcs said:

I keep hoping someone in the printing business will discuss what it took for Dell to produce these color gradient covers. I don't believe any other publisher was doing that in the fifties.  That is an awesome Pogo Christmas cover Robot Man. Thanks for posting!

Gradients were done by other publishers.

RawhideKid15.jpg

CongoBill5Church.jpg

On 1/8/2018 at 5:17 AM, OtherEric said:

Beautiful books all!  I agree that the WDC&S cover doesn't look very Kellyish to me, either; and not for the usual reason I have trouble spotting Kelly's work on the Ducks:  Normally, Kelly looks too on-model for me to readily spot his duck work; on this one Donald and whatever nephew is under the box in particular look off-model to me.

No way is that wdc&s Kelly.   

7 hours ago, 40YrsCollctngCmcs said:

Agreed, great stuff on those covers and the insides!

Yeah those Fairy Tale books are pretty awesome.  Would have been nice if any of the Fables comics of modern day fare had done an homage cover. 

18 hours ago, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

Wow, that's a beut! I just got an issue of Animal Comics I'll be posting this weekend.

Thanks.  I think his covers for Animal Comics and Fairy Tale Parade were some of his best work.  Never been crazy about his covers for WDC&S.

It's Thanksgiving and while I have much to be thankful for in the world of comics I'll just be thankful that I picked up this Voldemort graded File Copy of Animal Comics 22 on Comic Link for a pretty good price a few months back. I've been looking for the right time to crack this out of its clamshell for reading, and this morning was the day. I'm a big fan of these Racine file copies so I always like picking these up and while others may consider the stamp obtrusive, I find it adds to the history of the book. So let's get crackin', literally.

First, the book came out of the slab easily and it was nice to see it free again. It had been graded a 6.0 mostly due to the back cover pieces missing from the top of the cover from what I can tell. It presents nicer. The cover is by Kelly but does not have the panache of his Pogo covers; bet he didn't like Uncle Wiggly!

tn_Animal22Released1.jpg.5ef530718bbf7790a25dc9b38f363481.jpg

The first story is Uncle Wiggly; I've never been a big fan but maybe I'm missing something.

tn_Animal22UncleWiggly1.jpg.e6175c31f3df6c349080a259cbd50329.jpg

Then we get to some fun stuff like Pogo! The series is still called Albert and Pogo at this point. The dialogue is way beyond what one might find in a typical kid's book. I sure wish I were around when these came out as I bet they must have been a blast to read at the time fresh off the stands.

tn_Animal22Pogo1.jpg.5dcb1b2ebd7cb13e995755a3498b139d.jpg

After that Dan Noonan has part of his serial tale of Rover. These are good stories and would be worth printing in a reprint volume by someone. This is a great example of why Dell comics are good comics!

tn_Animal22Rover1.jpg.8c9c4fb2fbed5abd8963c837a67d2ee3.jpg

Then I was surprised to see a feature by Morris Gollub I had never heard of called Sitara based in the Indian jungles; this will be interesting to read.

tn_Animal22Sitara1.jpg.9c119c8e50b6d36306c1c45de826aece.jpg

Next up is Elephunnies credited to Walt Kelly by GCD but this looks like John Stanley all the way to me.

tn_Animal22Elephunnies1.jpg.3b9b772991cb297bdf2b6e8308878eb3.jpg

Then on the back cover, we find Albert and Pogo wrapping things up. 

tn_Animal22Back1.jpg.d2d32f6f4dca74a788eab9382b63bbb6.jpg

Well I'm going to try to find a few minutes today or tomorrow to read it all but thought I would share in the meantime. I hope everyone has a chance to enjoy some comic time this long weekend!

Edited by 50YrsCollctngCmcs