• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Best of the Best Sketch Awards Mega / Discussion Thread

438 posts in this topic

So in response to the feedback of frequency of challenges, a addendum to rule 7 has been proposed.

Current Rule 7:

7) One Month after being declared the winner, A sketch may challenge for the title. The new challenger(s) must be nominated by 3 board members. In the event of multiple challengers wanting to take on the champ, they will first compete against each other in a battle royal. The winner of the battle royal will then get a title shot at the existing champ.

Proposed Rule 7:

7) One Month after being declared the winner, A sketch may challenge for the title. The new challenger(s) must be nominated by 3 board members. After a sketch is a five time champ, challengers must wait three months before challenging. Additionally the challenge must be backed by five board members not including the sketches owner. In the event of multiple challengers wanting to take on the champ, they will first compete against each other in a battle royal. The winner of the battle royal will then get a title shot at the existing champ.

Sketch Illuminati

After leaving membership open for one week. Below are the initial members of the Sketch Illuminati. This membership will last for the remainder of 2013. It will be opened back up for new members in 2014. The reason for this to to maintain consistency in the guiding of the BotB program. Best of the Best has always been for the people and by the people, that will remain the same. All major decisions will still be made by public vote.

These people with be the ones working behind the scenes to make BotB even bigger and better then it already is. We believe in openness and transparency, as such is you have questions or concerns feel free to bring it up in this thread. Please leave these concerns out of the main contest threads, those should be left for art and polls.

Additionally we encourage you to reach out to any and/or all of us via PM w/ additional questions/concerns.

Members:

• .Troy
  • Darrell F
  • dscott
  • Erik B
  • GODOFTHUNDER
  • Greedo
  • Jwalker1228
  • Marvelfangirl
  • Mr Mylar
  • starpc

Revised Rule 7:

7) One Month after being declared the winner, A sketch may challenge for the title. The new challenger(s) must be nominated by 3 board members. After a sketch is a five time champ, challengers must wait three months before challenging. Additionally the challenge must be backed by five board members not including the sketches owner. In the event of multiple challengers wanting to take on the champ, they will first compete against each other in a battle royal. The winner of the battle royal will then get a title shot at the existing champ.

Good rule change :applause:

I think the Illuminati some brainstorm some kind of Hall of Fame.

I would also like to suggest Best Head Shot for your consideration as a future special category. They have a hard time winning Best of competitions but there are some really good ones out there.

And finally, should there be some kind of award that we give to an artist every year? Maybe a plaque like the CGC awards are on.

I'm afraid I missed the rule 7 addendum poll, so didn't have the chance to make this comment before then (although it was posted in the Best of Doom thread):

I think giving five time champs a break is a step in the right direction, but it still seems like way too much challenging (and even then, they only get a three month break). It might be too late this time round, but I'd like to propose the following:

We could have three criteria for a challenge to go ahead:

1) at least [x] months must have passed since the last challenge;

2) there must be at least [x] challengers for a challenge to proceed; and

3) no more than [x] challenges in a calendar year.

I'd suggest that a challenge every month is too much, and that 3 months should be a minimum period. Give a champ at least that long to enjoy their crown before potentially losing it. Maybe 3 would be a good minimum number of challengers - and once you've challenged and failed, you can't challenge again.

That way you ensure that a challenge at least represents meaningful competition. To me, it doesn't matter how many board members back a sketch - there should be more than one potential competitor for a challenge to be meaningful, given that the original champ had to beat a wide field. If there happen to be 3 new challengers every 3 months, then fine - have a challenge every 3 months (subject to the yearly maximum). Otherwise you need to wait.

hm I like that plaque idea

Worldsbestcomics - Great ideas, keep them coming :D

What I was thinking of with this was a kind of Artist of the Year category similar to the Sketches of the Year event in December. Instead of prizes like the sketches of the year, the winner would get an award from us. We could deliver it at a show. And hopefully get CGC to promote it with a news blurb on their front page.

Like the Boardie Sketch of the Year Contest, I feel that the recipient should be determined by us in this case, not the celebrity panel. We could do it by nominations and popular vote or something a bit different like who had the most winning books as voted upon by us throughout that year.

hm I like that plaque idea

Worldsbestcomics - Great ideas, keep them coming :D

What I was thinking of with this was a kind of Artist of the Year category similar to the Sketches of the Year event in December. Instead of prizes like the sketches of the year, the winner would get an award from us. We could deliver it at a show. And hopefully get CGC to promote it with a news blurb on their front page.

Like the Boardie Sketch of the Year Contest, I feel that the recipient should be determined by us in this case, not the celebrity panel. We could do it by nominations and popular vote or something a bit different like who had the most winning books as voted upon by us throughout that year.

I like that idea :)

Let's pull all rule discussions to the best of discussion thread and let the stealthy ladies have there spotlight here :)

And blame me for Putting Secrect Son's sketch in 2 catogories. (thumbs u

No blame at all. I see what starpc was saying using the Best of Crain as an example. Again no offense meant to anyone. I currently have 4 titles with 1 sketch bc of the end of year contests. If it wasn't for that 1 I would have 2 Fallen titles lol

Thanks to all for putting these Best of things together and to those sharing their sketches (worship) ...I know there are plenty still in hiding.

Hypothetical stupid question that only really matters if the poll goes max of 2 (one public & one Illuminati).

Could a person who says is the current winner of say, Bad Girls of Gotham or Stealthy Ladies abdicate their title to take part in their actual characters poll if someone selects that at a later time?

I know, stupid question, but thought of a potential grey area.

No clue that is something that will have to be discussed if the 2nd option wins the vote here.

Personally I voted to let a winner play in as many contest as they want. As I stated in PMs about this I don't feel that it's right to exclude a sketch from a contest just because it won a previous contest. We don't limit sports teams to one championship or athletes to one gold medal. When I compete in a best of the best I want to beat the best. By not letting winning sketches compete we are basically saying that none of the new contestants could beat them in a contest.

No clue that is something that will have to be discussed if the 2nd option wins the vote here.

Personally I voted to let a winner play in as many contest as they want. As I stated in PMs about this I don't feel that it's right to exclude a sketch from a contest just because it won a previous contest. We don't limit sports teams to one championship or athletes to one gold medal. When I compete in a best of the best I want to beat the best. By not letting winning sketches compete we are basically saying that none of the new contestants could beat them in a contest.

Unfortunately, this is not always true. Some leagues everyone gets a trophy.