• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Best of the Best Sketch Awards Mega / Discussion Thread

438 posts in this topic

Also looks like the vote was 15 to 9 in favor of a sketch counting if held by an artist. So I guess that is settled.

Again personnaly I think that submitting only already in hand CGC SS sketch would be better and leave any confusion. Everybody can say that his sketch is on its way to CGC while it is not necessary true and thus take more than 6 month to get back grom CGC. 2c

i still think that only CGC GRADED SKETCHES should be allowed, I feel even though the poll says 15 to 9 in favor of a sketch counting if held by an artist, this only makes it hard for starpc & ErikB to keep track of the sketch actually being Slabbed & CGC'd. As you can see some sketches have already taken 6+months to get slabbed & CGC'd.

With the strict rule of only CGC GRADED SKETCHES we avoid any & all unfortunate situations that may occur 2c

My outlook is we are in this for the fun of seeing cool art. We all know the wait times that are part of the submission process. My outlook is if we can't trust our fellow boardies, who can we trust?

We had plenty of instances where boardies have showed a cool sketch and still voluntarily disclosed it was ineligible for competition due to the fact it is RAW. As such I have faith that we can continue taking our fellow boardies at their word.

So given the public vote on the rule clarification, artist holds are considered en route as long as they will be submitted to CGC in the future (hopefully sooner than later).

At then end of the day the point of BotB is to showcase really cool art and have some friendly competition in the process :D

My outlook is we are in this for the fun of seeing cool art. We all know the wait times that are part of the submission process. My outlook is if we can't trust our fellow boardies, who can we trust?

We had plenty of instances where boardies have showed a cool sketch and still voluntarily disclosed it was ineligible for competition due to the fact it is RAW. As such I have faith that we can continue taking our fellow boardies at their word.

So given the public vote on the rule clarification, artist holds are considered en route as long as they will be submitted to CGC in the future (hopefully sooner than later).

At then end of the day the point of BotB is to showcase really cool art and have some friendly competition in the process :D

(worship)(worship)(worship)(worship)(worship)(worship)(worship)(worship)

The issue is not about trust, is just simply a way to keep order. I have big faith that nobody on these boards would lie about something so insignificant

it's just simply with so much time that could potentially pass by between sketch being completed & it submitted to CGC so many things can happen. The owner may no longer want to CGC it for whatever reason they may have, God forbid the artist unfortunately gets sick & never turns it in to CGC, artwork gets stolen from artist at a show.

There's to many factors that could jeopardize the control of it being CGC'd & what if the sketch that wins a BOTB isnt CGC'd but its en route, it loses a challenge & then that person never gets it CGC'd for what ever reason?

I dont think at the end of the day the issue is trust from board members but just a fair rule that has no bends to it.

I think that Mykrofon has some valid points here.

Why not maybe make a new vote as to if we should only submit book already graded or not? I think that would settle once and for all this debate. What do you think starpv?

I like your suggestion Dave. Also looks like the vote was 15 to 9 in favor of a sketch counting if held by an artist. So I guess that is settled.

How cool would it be to have a "Best of Scott Blair" sketch contest or Sajad Shah or Bill Dinh or Brian Massa. You gotta admit, it would be pretty fun. However, those guys would have to recuse themselves from their respective contests.

Erik - this is already covered under the results of the vote that just took place. The people voted to allow artists hold, so that is what we are going to do.

OK no problem, I will add the new rule to the rules official page on the cgcsketch.com website :)

I like your suggestion Dave. Also looks like the vote was 15 to 9 in favor of a sketch counting if held by an artist. So I guess that is settled.

How cool would it be to have a "Best of Scott Blair" sketch contest or Sajad Shah or Bill Dinh or Brian Massa. You gotta admit, it would be pretty fun. However, those guys would have to recuse themselves from their respective contests.

I agree Dave we can give it a go later this month once the copics wrap up I think might be pretty fun to see all the different stuff those guys have done.

I originally posted the below in the "Best of Doom" thread. Reposting it here for wider discussion.

The background, for those not following that particular thread, is that the winning Doom sketch has been challenged - unsuccessfully - four times in the 11 months since its initial win.

-----------------------------

I'm yet to compete in any of these challenges, but I've voted in plenty.

In my opinion, there should be a rule that after a certain number of successful title defences (maybe even after just one), the period of time until a champ can be challenged should be extended to six months.

I honestly think it cheapens the "best of the best" badge a bit if someone is being challenged every month. In theory, you could have a new "best" Doom 12 times a year (I know that's not likely in practice).

The initial champ has to beat a very wide field, compared to a challenger. Yes, if there happens to be more than one challenger at the same time we get the "battle royale" but very often it's one at a time.

If the wait period was extended, it would be more likely that there would be simultaneous challengers - that increases the chances that the final challenger would have beaten a decent field and be more "deserving" of the crown.

I totally get that people get cool sketches throughout the year and want to show them off and compete - but there's no need for it to happen immediately. I do think the prestige is wearing off a bit with the constant challenging.

Just my 2c

I would be up for a Sketch Hall of Fame....after a certain number of successful challenges you are in and immortalized in BotB HOF...or the criteria to be determined by the illuminati...just an idea...I know there are so many ways we can expand, improve, adjust or even sometimes complicate BotB...the main thing is to keep it fun and friendly as best we can...it isn't Pink's where we get to keep the sketches we beat hm

As for Balham's thoughts I think a longer waiting period would be a good idea as well...I know Hank Pym would appreciate it lol

Love the "Sketch Hall of Fame" idea (thumbs u

With all these rule recommendations, I think it would be a good idea for proposed rules to be looked at and voted on quarterly. This keeps the rules from changing to much and to fast to keep up with. Also vote items can receive more focus, attention and discussion.

I always thought en route meant actually in the mail to CGC or dropped off with CGC at a con until I saw the rule quoted. I'm OK with the current rule but I would support a reasonable deadline. We get a lot of raw books posted in the challenges and I think winners should post a scan or pic of the slabbed book at some time to avoid any potential concerns over ineligible books being entered.
I agree 100% with posting a scan or pic of the book slabbed. It just fixes a lot of issues people might have with showing pics of raw books. If it wins, I want to see a slabbed pic. Otherwise it's O.A. on a board. Nothing wrong with that, but different contest for that.

True, however when you factor in how long a sketch opp can take and turn around time @ CGC, you could be facing over a year between sketch completion and getting the book back from CGC.

I understand this logic of six month limbo. It is a fun competition and what is 6 months? If someone already won the Best of whatever, then wait six months. I could see not waiting for a "new" contest, but one that has already taken place should not matter and they can wait for the actual book.

Their are plenty of threads to show off artwork while the book is getting graded.

I agree only slabbed scans should win, but I did not see this until now and never had a chance to vote.

After brainstorming with Erik B., I am proud to showcase the sig line award he cooked up for the first Sketch Illuminati category:

BotB_Copics_R_v6.png

The blue background signifies this was a category chosen by the Sketch Illuminati lol Future Sketch Illuminati picked categories will also feature this blue background. While community picked categories will maintain the existing red background. :)

Hey I like that, I mean the name and all.

I think that maybe starpc you should write a clear list of WHO are the Sketch Illuminati so that peoples knows who they can bug .. I mean PM for questions :)

And I would of course make a section on the cgcsketch.com website about them.

Also maybe we could aks an artist to do a sort of funny sketch about the Sketch Illuminati similar to this great cover, just for fun :grin:

949581.jpg

This has been finalized and will be announced shortly.