• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Best of the Best Sketch Awards Mega / Discussion Thread

438 posts in this topic

No clue that is something that will have to be discussed if the 2nd option wins the vote here.

Personally I voted to let a winner play in as many contest as they want. As I stated in PMs about this I don't feel that it's right to exclude a sketch from a contest just because it won a previous contest. We don't limit sports teams to one championship or athletes to one gold medal. When I compete in a best of the best I want to beat the best. By not letting winning sketches compete we are basically saying that none of the new contestants could beat them in a contest.

Valid points (thumbs u ...I work in an industry that is over-regulated..I guess I shouldn't view my hobby that way too :P

I wish we could have voted on who was in this year's Super Bowl :o

In a likely futile attempt to keep discussion going on here and not in the BotB threads -

not if its the same sketches over & over again, I feel broad categories should be left for the sketch illuminati to pick & regular single character categories should be for the boards to pick

just my 2c

This is kind of the way I've viewed these as well. Prior to the Sketch Illuminati hitting the boards I think the most broad category was "Bad Girls of Gotham" and that was limited to a few specific characters. I feel like if we want a flying characters category it should be one of the blue categories and that the board threads should be more specific.

I don't see why we can't have a narrow focus for the "character" BOTB thread and a broad focus for the Illuminati BOTB thread. Seems like there would be something for everyone. The broader categories are going to keep recycling the prior winning sketches. If we go with "Best Female Villian", I predict the finals will be Clay Mann's Bad Girls of Gotham vs. EBAS' Emma Frost (a villianess back in the day) or something in that range. I'd much rather see some new Cat Woman or FF team or JLA team or Nightwing sketches.

The Illuminati categories could be Best Cover Swipe, or Artist X or Watercolors or Dual Character, etc. Seems reasonable to me.

I don't see why we can't have a narrow focus for the "character" BOTB thread and a broad focus for the Illuminati BOTB thread. Seems like there would be something for everyone. The broader categories are going to keep recycling the prior winning sketches. If we go with "Best Female Villian", I predict the finals will be Clay Mann's Bad Girls of Gotham vs. EBAS' Emma Frost (a villianess back in the day) or something in that range. I'd much rather see some new Cat Woman or FF team or JLA team or Nightwing sketches.

The Illuminati categories could be Best Cover Swipe, or Artist X or Watercolors or Dual Character, etc. Seems reasonable to me.

Well said.

I don't see why we can't have a narrow focus for the "character" BOTB thread and a broad focus for the Illuminati BOTB thread.

Again it all boils down to Winners choice. So it can be a narrow or broad as the winner of the current category chooses.

So for example of uber narrow, Black Queen Jean Grey (whips only) would still be a valid category as would be diamond form Emma Frost.

Or to appease the good Doctor, Savage Land Rogue.

I don't see why we can't have a narrow focus for the "character" BOTB thread and a broad focus for the Illuminati BOTB thread.

Again it all boils down to Winners choice. So it can be a narrow or broad as the winner of the current category chooses.

So for example of uber narrow, Black Queen Jean Grey (whips only) would still be a valid category as would be diamond form Emma Frost.

I realize the choice for the next category belongs to the winner of the current one but I suppose the reason I feel the way I do is that all previous BotB categories were certainly on the narrow side. The first Illuminati category was wildly broad, and I may have incorrectly taken this to mean that the red categories would be pretty specific and the blue categories would probably be more generic. I'm all for fun categories that a number of sketches can participate in, I guess I just made an assumption based on the previously choosen red categories.

That's silly.

Not if you have a really sweet Savage Land Rogue it isn't. ;)

I didn't realize the winner could devise their own category - I figured it had to be some sort of mandate on whether it was a valid category or not.

For me, I like looking at BotB contests that have more specific character categories, rather than the broad ones. I like to see all the different interpretations by artists on one character, plus it keeps it kind of exclusive.

If there's a Psylocke BotB contest, I'll whip out my Tolibao again - but it might not have the same effect because it's already been seen once around in the Stealthy Ladies contest. Someone mentioned it before that seeing the same entrants over and over again is kind of boring, and I think I would agree with that.

why dont we just post a poll on it, as you can see there's already quite a few people with different opinions. We had agreed BOTB would remain a people's choice, so lets let the people decide where to go from here.

again just my 2c

I understand this to a certain degree. However, when it too broad, you will get the same winners from previous categories. That has already happened. If it's too narrow, one person can run with it indefinitley. If I win a category, my next choice could be " Best Emma Frost leaning against a wall" then "Best cover swipe of X-Men #137" then "Best Wonder Woman headshot in watercolors only". I like my chances in these categories since there will be few or no challengers. I know this is taken to the extreme, but don't most people want one of the threads to have an individual or team character focus?

Again red categories are strictly winners choice, you have to win to pick. The Illuminati is already planning on posting community polled random categories @ random times throughout the year.

This sounds pretty definitive. End of discussion I guess.........