• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Best of the Best Sketch Awards Mega / Discussion Thread

438 posts in this topic

First post in this thread:

Hey All, :hi:

This Thread will serve as both a place to keep an ongoing list of the Best of Best Sketch Winners and a place to discuss the rules of the Awards.

I want these awards to be as fun and fair as possible. These are for the whole board so everybody's input is welcome. I will guide the process to keep the whole thing flowing along, but if enough boardies want a tweak or change we will put it to a vote. So feel free to post any comments, questions, suggestions, or complaints in this thread

There will be a new rule #11 added shortly to provide winners with a framework of what the can/can't pick category wise. This new rule is being designed to alleviate some of the concerns brought up in this thread.

Is Rule #11 going to be voted on? I'm confused when it's stated that there will be a new rule #11. Can't we just vote to see if people want a character focus vs anything goes?

Rule #11 sounds great. No issue there.

Until very recently, there was a character focus on the Best of. Just look at the Best of Website. Now it has strayed into something else. Ok. I think that myself and a few others were expressing that we'd like to see the character focus remain. If someone else can express this better than me, please give it a shot.

Until very recently, there was a character focus on the Best of. Just look at the Best of Website. Now it has strayed into something else. Ok. I think that myself and a few others were expressing that we'd like to see the character focus remain. If someone else can express this better than me, please give it a shot.

I think what you are trying to say is that the winner still has the power to pick any character/team he would like for the next contest to be but for the broad categories to be picked by the sketch illuminati.

If this is so, i agree 100% & i believe many others do too

I think what you are trying to say is that the winner still has the power to pick any character/team he would like for the next contest to be but for the broad categories to be picked by the sketch illuminati.

+1 (thumbs u

It is a brand new interpretation that the Winner can decide ANYTHING they want to decide - Best Steampunk Scarlet Witch, Best Savage Land Rogue. And that interpretation is silly. These things started out as a way to enjoy and share one another's art. It should be broad and it should be inclusive.

Because it is not all about winning. It is all about sharing. And getting ideas about who might be good to commission or what creative things are being done. I think maybe the "Illuminati" should dial back into the fun and cool energy that this program originated under.

+1 (thumbs u

I also think that way.

We are currently discussing this between the Illuminati and I ask starpc to write rule #11 to clearly indicate what we can choose or not.

We are still talking about all this, so don't despair ;) Starpc will decide once and for all soon after our discussion end in our private PM thread.

I agree with this, Best of the Best Red should tend to be more particular and Best of the Best Blue could be more broad categories. With the vote allowing sketches to win multiple contests barely passing, I would think a lot of people would rather see new sketches rather than the same ones over and over. Also just my 2c but if we ever got someone who had an amazing sketch and wanted to keep winning they could suggest more and more broad categories that they could win until people stopped voting for them.

+1 (thumbs u

I also think that way.

We are currently discussing this between the Illuminati and I ask starpc to write rule #11 to clearly indicate what we can choose or not.

We are still talking about all this, so don't despair ;) Starpc will decide once and for all soon after our discussion end in our private PM thread.

Sounds like a dictatorship, that conversation you guys are having by PM should really be here since this is a by the people for the people competition, you guys get to choose your special categories and can settle small debates about being en-route to CGC but I think something like this is best suited here not in PMs and then one person decides, it should just be polled like everything else.

Also I vote to replace the whole "Illuminati" with Cosimo....if you guys are the Illuminati of sketches he's Uatu!

I hate your sig line man..... I really do.

It pains my soul every time I see it, knowing that nothing I can do will stand up to your spidey stuff. Whatever you do please don't start collecting Asgardian characters! lol

Sounds like a dictatorship, that conversation you guys are having by PM should really be here since this is a by the people for the people competition, you guys get to choose your special categories and can settle small debates about being en-route to CGC but I think something like this is best suited here not in PMs and then one person decides, it should just be polled like everything else.

Also I vote to replace the whole "Illuminati" with Cosimo....if you guys are the Illuminati of sketches he's Uatu!

I'm sorry if it sound that way. It was me that re-launch the debate about that in PM and at the same time you were discussing this here.

I think satrpc have always make the peoples vote on important things and since he is the one in charge he will decide or not if this should go to a public vote or not. We all do our best to please everyone and make this fun :)

The winner has always had the freedom to pick the next category since the programs inception. There have never been any limitations on it.

The revised statement/rule is as follows.

11) The winner decides the next category.

a) It can be something simple as Best of the Best %character% or %artist%; or something as complex as Best of the Best Blue Pants (character must be wearing blue pants lol ).

b) It can be as narrow or broad as the winner wants. Let your imagination run wild.

c) If it is so narrow that only one book can compete, the winner must pick a new category. If no new category can be picked, a new one will be selected based on a public poll.

If the community as a whole wants to write an alternative version of the above revised statement/rule, I'll be happy to post a public poll to let the community decide which version of rule 11 should go into play.

Aren't (a) and (b) the same thing? I don't think the comments expressed concerns about categories being overly narrow like © seems to be addressing. I understood the option being asked for in the poll was more along the lines of, "sketch categories chosen by winners should be along the lines of a single character, individual artist or a similarly narrow category."

I may have started all this by suggesting bad Girls of Gotham instead of Catwoman, Ivy or Harley as a separate category. I wanted to see more books competing instead of a category that might only have 6 or 7 entrants. But, I totally get the point of some of the posts that having multiple excessively broad categories just means the same books will be competing every time.

Aren't (a) and (b) the same thing? I don't think the comments expressed concerns about categories being overly narrow like © seems to be addressing. I understood the option being asked for in the poll was more along the lines of, "sketch categories chosen by winners should be along the lines of a single character, individual artist or a similarly narrow category."

I may have started all this by suggesting bad Girls of Gotham instead of Catwoman, Ivy or Harley as a separate category. I wanted to see more books competing instead of a category that might only have 6 or 7 entrants. But, I totally get the point of some of the posts that having multiple excessively broad categories just means the same books will be competing every time.

I don't think Bad Girls of Gotham was broad at all. It brought out some great covers with multiple characters. I do not believe that is what the discussion is pointed towards. However, the "blue pants" example is exactly what is wrong with the new rule.

There was recently a poll pertaining to repeat winners. Why was that worthy of voting but this is not? I propose a poll to vote on whether to limit the regular thread to character, teams or multiple characters. Anybody want to 2nd the suggestion?