• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Am I being unreasonable/ an a**hole for leaving negative

57 posts in this topic

well if he offered a full refund and you couldnt be bothered to send it back why should you neg him when he tried to right the wrongs, you just being lazy and a miserable git has ruined his 100% which dont bother you but maybe him!!

Because some folks knowingly over grade / over price / omit resto disclosure, and offer a good return policy. They hope that most people won't be bothered enough or know enough to complain, and that those who would, will avail themselves of the return policy. Thus you get dishonesty with 100% positive feedback.

How do you know that is what happened in this situation though?

I'd give the seller the benefit of the doubt. I used to be a nazi about leaving negative feedback on ebay. I once bought a used dvd from a large dvd store on ebay that had an awesome refund policy. The dvd wasn't scratched but warped and would not play. I left negative feedback instead of asking for the refund and I regretted it later. I felt like I didn't give the seller the benefit of the doubt. He ran a large store and mistakes happen.

The seller also sells CGC'd books and has a lot of listings. I'm sure he knows how to grade These books were not bagged or boarded just thrown into one large bag for shipping so he had to have seen the condition and not grade from the bag as some large bulk dealers do.

You can leave a positive that says something to the line of:

Overgraded POS but seller refunded money.

In the item as described section give him 1 star.

Simple.

I have left positive feedback with comments along the lines of "Seller needs to work on his packaging"

But nobody reads positive feedback comments either. If the seller tries to make things right with me then I'm not going to neg them but I can kinda see the OP's point. I have been disappointed with eBay purchases on a few occasions, and I am not a stickler for grade so it has to be blatant in order to get under my skin.

well if he offered a full refund and you couldnt be bothered to send it back why should you neg him when he tried to right the wrongs, you just being lazy and a miserable git has ruined his 100% which dont bother you but maybe him!!

wow are you off :facepalm:

so you are ok with him misrepresenting his books and then can in essence buy the silence of the bidder so other bidders are unaware of how he does business, or buy the positive feedback :screwy:

now i don't agree with the negative but a neutral would have been more aporitate

i had the same thing, book arrived damage, said i could have a refund and keep the book (which i did), left a neutral about his shipping which was how it got damaged but that he gave the refund and let me keep the book (made things right)

get an email about taking away the neutral bc we were square and he let me keep the book.....told him that just bc he made it right doesn't mean an auto positive bc he did screw up the shipping, sent him back the book and the envelope (had a feeling this would happen) so he couldn't person_without_enough_empathy anymore

if it wasn't for being bent in the mail bc he put 1 piece of cardboard and the book wasn't even taped to the cardboard and was loss in envelope, it would have been as described.......only did his shipping at 1 star the rest were 5 stars

Your lesson and logic are spot on! :applause:

Unfortunately your grammar needs work. :facepalm:

lol i never claimed to pass english class........kinda squeaked by honestly, it sounds right when i read it so i'm good :headbang: (lol you should have seen it before i sent it through a spell check using word)

It seems that nowadays that it is more wrong to point out what somebody did wrong that the wrong that was done. I have gotten many books that were shipped without cardboard, shipped in a brown paper bag, shipped sandwiched between cereal box cardboard and shoe box cardboard, 50 comics in a padded envelope, etc. I have had some complete nightmares and most of the sellers think they did a stellar job and there is something wrong with me for not accepting it. I will not hesitate to leave sellers like this either a NEUT or NEG as the transaction was not a positive one.

I have also had people try to tell me that the feedback I leave isn't right nor fair to the seller, but they don't consider how unfair it is to the buyer to have to go through this circus of events just for a comic books. Oh yeah, my favorite is, "all this trouble over a $3.00 auction". It's about the principle of the transaction and not about the amount of the transaction.

It seems that nowadays that it is more wrong to point out what somebody did wrong that the wrong that was done. I have gotten many books that were shipped without cardboard, shipped in a brown paper bag, shipped sandwiched between cereal box cardboard and shoe box cardboard, 50 comics in a padded envelope, etc. I have had some complete nightmares and most of the sellers think they did a stellar job and there is something wrong with me for not accepting it. I will not hesitate to leave sellers like this either a NEUT or NEG as the transaction was not a positive one.

I have also had people try to tell me that the feedback I leave isn't right nor fair to the seller, but they don't consider how unfair it is to the buyer to have to go through this circus of events just for a comic books. Oh yeah, my favorite is, "all this trouble over a $3.00 auction". It's about the principle of the transaction and not about the amount of the transaction.

my question then is when writing the person did you explain what they did wrong and how they could have possibly fixed it with shipping a different way or something to that effect

with mine i just told them what they did wrong and how easy it was for the book to be damaged, i bought from a comic shop so didn't fell i would need to explain how to fix their shipping mistake (prob did anyway though)

You can leave a positive that says something to the line of:

Overgraded POS but seller refunded money.

In the item as described section give him 1 star.

Simple.

I did something similar for a comic that came with a panel clipped out of it. I know it was just overlooked, and I think it speaks well that the seller refunded me so quickly. (I didn't call it a POS, though) :)

this comes from 10+ years of eBay buying and selling experience, mostly learned the hard way.

take the refund.

here's the kicker: even if you do leave him 1 neg feedback... a huge seller like that? no one gives a spoon. so he will have 99.99% feedback instead of 100%. big deal.

how many times have you seen a comic you want and looked at the seller and seen this:

99.99% positive FB

2456 (+) FB

00001 (-) FB

will that stop you from buying the book? no. no one will care....people will still buy from him! the only person you are hurting here is yourself and you aren't really going to accomplish anything. your voice will be heard by a few select people who care but most will just chalk it up to the typical "angry customer" and ignore it.

yes, he sold you a POS. no denying it.....and he may continue to do so to other people in the future, which is annoying and makes you feel like you are taking a payout to keep your mouth shut. but your one negative feedback won't stop that from happening.

my advice? take the refund, ask for him to cover your shipping expenses, and remove the feedback. you are right back where you started except you now have a few crappy comics, but at least you didn't lose any money.

he is righting the wrong, and losing money and comics in the process. that will hurt and sway him more than 1 neg feedback, trust me.

it's a shoddy path, but it's the lesser of many crappier ones.

:makepoint:

I have a left a few NEG's over the years on eBay. I've bought a lot of comics off eBay over the years.

I've bought a few SA minor keys off eBay, that in the item description is said no water, damage, tears or pieces missing from the book, all from different sellers. They showed up with 1 of the three things wrong with them, that should have been very apparent if the seller bothered to look at the book, and do a basic flip though. The majority of damage to the front and back covers, that just were not visible from the photos provided.

If your a seller and know the book is going for $50+ (especialy 100+), and either;

Copy and paste a basic item description

Don't bother actually page counting the book for flaws

Or not list the flaws in hope for a higher price

I honestly couldn't give a rats if they are going to refund my money, you're a bad seller, and getting a NEG, to warn other people off buying.

If the books $20 or less, though, I let it go. Cost of doing business on eBay, and not everyone has the time to check for that and low dollar books.

The last 3 books were the worst;

Iron Fist 14 - Graded VF. The book had no staples.

ASM 129 - No Water Damage - Huge coffee wring on the back that wasn't visible in the picture since the flash washed out the apparent discolouration.

Hulk 181 - Marvel Value stamp intact, no MVS in the book.

I have since stopped buying any large dollar books off eBay, especially since finding this place.

Brian, I would have left a neutral feedback with the comment that comics were overgraded

but his return policy was AOK. Any future buyer who looks through the feedback will spot

the neutral and the comment will describe the transaction honestly.

I concur.

Given that the seller only agreed to give you a full refund AFTER he got the neg, I would just leave the neg in place. I mean it's one thing if he immediately responded to the complaint with an offer of a full refund or replacement. That way, he can at least earn the positive (or neutral) with a good customer service effort even if the product itself was not as advertised. I look at it this way, I'm protecting the next guy who might by buying from him.

Given that the seller only agreed to give you a full refund AFTER he got the neg, I would just leave the neg in place. I mean it's one thing if he immediately responded to the complaint with an offer of a full refund or replacement. That way, he can at least earn the positive (or neutral) with a good customer service effort even if the product itself was not as advertised. I look at it this way, I'm protecting the next guy who might by buying from him.

if you read original post it says seller offered full refund after buyer said he wasnt happy, not after the neg!

I sell about 500 items a month on my ebay store. I try really hard to insure that the grading is accurate, and the shipping is swift and secure. Despite my best efforts, we make the occasional error. When that happens, I make sure to resolve it to the customer's benefit. We try to earn repeat business from customers by establishing trust.

In the rare cases where we do make an error, or the customer is not satisfied, we hope that they understand that we are trying to to our best, and that we are hoping for a long-term relationship with them. With that understanding, we hope that they give us a positive review. More importantly, we hope that they will continue to order from us, knowing that we do our best to make sure they get great books, grading, service, and shipping. They know that mistakes are rare, and that we will correct them right away in their favor.

You should look for a dealer that you believe is looking our for you. Then reward them with your return business.

Regards,

Lee Hester

Lee's Comics of California

Just the fact that he tried to buy your positive feedback would be a good enough reason for me to neg him. I don't conduct any kind of business on ebay typically for this reason, but i have to agree that you were not being unreasonable to leave him negative feedback. Just like someone else said before me, if you didn't have a positive experience with the transaction, why leave a positive feedback? It seems to me that theres some unwritten law about leaving neg and if you do, you're shunned. Is that how other people feel about Ebay or is that just me?

I am shocked that no one in comics general has suggested yet that a negative is not enough. You should rape and pillage the sellers entire village that way he really learns a lesson. :insane:

Really though take the bribe to change the feedback, because as others mentioned 1 neg isn't gonna slow down a high volume seller even if it is his first neg.

eBay is just a dirty place to do business on when it comes to any raw collectibles. I try to avoid raw collectibles unless it is something I must have and then I expect to send it back from being poorly shipped or overgraded about 50% of the time on raw purchases.

Buying comics on Ebay can be a real crapshoot! It is still possible to roll all 7's and end up with better books than described, but that can be a somewhat rare event these days. Unfortunately there seems to be high number of sellers on Ebay that seem to be happy to stack the odds against the buyers (suckers).

In your case you made a low dollar purchase from what you thought a low risk seller with high feedback and good reputation based on 100% positive feedback. Your description of NM's that arrived below VF and poorly packaged does not sync with the feedback. Does this seller's feedback specifically reflect many buyers that were happy with the seller's grading/descriptions and shipping/packaging? If so I would be more inclined to give benefit of doubt that something unusual/bad happened with your purchase and just move on. On the other hand if you feel deceived and suckered into wasting your time and dollars by this sellers business plan the neutral (moneyback) or negative is warranted. (thumbs u

I think the best we can do is try to support the truly honest and reputable sellers that make the effort to actually grade the books, provide an honest description of all seen and unseen flaws that result in that grade, and provide large and clear scans such that buyer does not have to rely entirely on seller to determine if the grade makes sense. As a hobby seller on Ebay that spends on average at least 30 minutes to complete each listing I can attest it takes a lot of time to do right.

If the seller can only be bothered to post a rosy description without pointing out any actual flaws, and supporting with small crappy out of focus or incomplete scans/pics, that is not a good sign and in my mind they deserve to fail. :sumo: