• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AF 15 raw

51 posts in this topic

Married Cover PLOD 3.5

I'm getting more and more curious about your grading responses...Is there some reason why you seem to invite controversy? Do you know the OP? Do you really believe you can spot resto from a less than decent photo?

The married cover comment has me going because it appears to me that both the cover and splash page have about the same amount of tanning along all 4 edges.

That would be quite the trick to pull off with a spare cover and very difficult with a replica.

I think this would have a shot at a 5.5 with cream to off-white PQ...

Married Cover PLOD 3.5

I'm getting more and more curious about your grading responses...Is there some reason why you seem to invite controversy? Do you know the OP? Do you really believe you can spot resto from a less than decent photo?

The married cover comment has me going because it appears to me that both the cover and splash page have about the same amount of tanning along all 4 edges.

That would be quite the trick to pull off with a spare cover and very difficult with a replica.

I thought the inside cover and the first page matched tanning pretty well too.

Thanks for all your feedback. I was going to make an offer on this book, but I'm in agreement that there is too wide a range in grade possibilities judging from the scans alone. The ask was too high. Despite the fact that any un-slabbed key seems fishy just for that fact alone, I do trust the seller in his guarantee that it would come back blue. My guess is it may have come back in a blue slab at a certain grade (say 4.0) and was cracked out to be sold in the 5.5/6.0 price range. So after sending it in, sure it would come back blue, but at a much lower grade than the ask.

I'd like opinions on grade, just based on these low-quality scans (not buying or selling this - just curious what u think):

image.png

image-1.png

image-3.png

image-2.png

if you look at 3rd scan from the top, do you think the curvy right edge is from the picture angle, or can books be cut that way? (I was promised it wasn't trimmed...promises, promises...)

I'd like opinions on grade, just based on these low-quality scans (not buying or selling this - just curious what u think):

image.png

image-1.png

image-3.png

image-2.png

if you look at 3rd scan from the top, do you think the curvy right edge is from the picture angle, or can books be cut that way? (I was promised it wasn't trimmed...promises, promises...)

I think it's the angle of the pages...doesn't looked trimmed to me...

image.png

image-1.png

image-3.png

image-2.png

That right edge does look curious. I'm always suspicious of Keys that are not slabbed - just too much money left on the table. I'd only buy this if I knew who I was purchasing from and some other boardies were comfortable with them. A seller can make promises all day long but if he spends your money before you can get it walked thru in Sarasota, you could be screwed if it comes back restored or trimmed.

Keep inmind trimming is not resto but a significant defect (at least last time I looked). Good Luck...it's a pretty copy... :wishluck:

Married Cover PLOD 3.5

Haters gonna hate.

4.5/5.0/5.5 Cr/OW or maybe Lt Tan/OW

Need better scans to be sure.

what do you all think of this:

I can get this for 13K. You get 10K of coverage protection through paypal for items not as described. I have detailed correspondence through ebay about blue label guarantees. No grade guarantee though. I can send 10K via paypal and 3K outside paypal. So I'd be protected for 10K. I'd press and send to CGC immediately.

So I can have this at a 5.5 price, with what I consider minimum-ish risk.

Thoughts?

I can get this for 13K. You get 10K of coverage protection through paypal for items not as described. I have detailed correspondence through ebay about blue label guarantees. No grade guarantee though. I can send 10K via paypal and 3K outside paypal. So I'd be protected for 10K. I'd press and send to CGC immediately.

Thoughts?

First you tell us the seller AND then we can tell you if you're safe or not and 13k is too much. You can grab a slabbed 5.0/5.5 blue for around that price.

Thoughts?

First you tell us the seller AND then we can tell you if you're safe or not.

his name is Tim, goes by moneyguy925 on ebay...

here's a link to another AF15 he was selling on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120855389282&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBUAA:US:3160#ht_500wt_1153

his original owner "client's" (an old female) deceased husband owned 3 copies...