• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I Wanna Dance With Somebody!

39 posts in this topic

RIP.

Sadly she may have turned her life around, but past abuse could have been what took her life. She was one of the great voices of her time, it is too bad that the demons of abuse plagued her for a good deal of her time on earth.

What a waste of a life and scads of talent.

God, I hate drugs and the fools that can't stop taking them.

That is way harsh. Her life definitely wasn't a waste. She accomplished tons and being a drug user doesn't discount that fact. I take offense to your other statement as well. Addiction is a constant struggle. You are normally more level-headed.

Any death at 48 is very sad. But, hundreds of children starve to death every day. It is highly likely that a young British or American soldier will die today in Afghanistan.

Those children and those soldiers will have no part in their own deaths.

Whitney Houston was a talented performer and it is sad that she died in this manner at this age.

I just wish that the media spent less time wallowing in this story and more time covering the other examples I mention.

I don't mean to sound cold, but there is something mawkish in the outpourings of sorrow when a celebrity dies and we barely acknowledge the passing of children and soldiers. 2c

And before you all flame me, I am merely stating a point which I feel needs making. No disrespect is meant to Ms Houston, who I hope r.i.p.

Any death at 48 is very sad.

I concur.

But, hundreds of children starve to death every day.

Something I remember every day when I open my cabinets or refrigerator to make a meal. I am blessed with an abundance simply by the chance of birth that those children were not.

It is highly likely that a young British or American soldier will die today in Afghanistan.

Something that brings a tear to my eye each time I hear of anyone dying in battle. These brave men and women made a choice to protect the values they believe in and I am humbled by their service and their sacrifice.

Those children and those soldiers will have no part in their own deaths.

You're right. The children are innocent bystanders. The soldiers made a noble choice to enter service and accepted the risk of death as a real consequence of their nobility and did so without any expectation of accolades they, in truth, so rightfully deserve.

Whitney Houston was a talented performer and it is sad that she died in this manner at this age.

So true. May she find a peace in death that she could not find in life.

I just wish that the media spent less time wallowing in this story and more time covering the other examples I mention.

I agree. More time does need to be spent to create a stronger balance.

I don't mean to sound cold, but there is something mawkish in the outpourings of sorrow when a celebrity dies and we barely acknowledge the passing of children and soldiers. 2c

Celebrities, whether they like it or not, take on a role in peoples lives. For some of us their role is negligible and for others the celebrities are an example of what a person can become. Whitney Houston was an example of this. She got her break on Star Search with millions of american children, especially young African American females, watching her and her subsequent catapult into stardom and the tragic envelopment into drug abuse. That creates a great deal of emotions for a generation. Their feelings are just as valid as yours.

And before you all flame me, I am merely stating a point which I feel needs making. No disrespect is meant to Ms Houston, who I hope r.i.p.

I respect you greatly for having the courage to voice your perspective.

Celebrities, whether they like it or not, take on a role in peoples lives. For some of us their role is negligible and for others the celebrities are an example of what a person can become. Whitney Houston was an example of this. She got her break on Star Search with millions of american children.

Yup. Her second album was the very first tape I ever bought in 1987(an era of George Michael and Samantha Fox ruling the charts). Heck, I bought her VHS of her videos soon after because I was so enamoured with her spirit in them. She was so beautifully exotic to this country boy in those Tiffany/Debbie Gibson "Mall-Girl Pin-Up" years. Dolly Parton actually just commented in Parade magazine, how she liked what Whitney did with her "I Will Always Love You" song for The Bodyguard and as long as the checks kept coming... For me, despite what was done in her later years with Brown (it was their prerogative), I will always fondly look back at her in those precious years in the mid to late-80's where she was a pop princess of the highest royalty. (worship)

What a waste of a life and scads of talent.

God, I hate drugs and the fools that can't stop taking them.

It's an addiction, much like the folks who keep buying comics. Some of our better halves call us collector fools for doing the same thing. Luckily, unless they don't have guns, we survive the experience.

But I digress. I did see this coming because of her deadly addiction. She was way too young.

I understand and respect your opinions about those who serve our country and are less fortunate. The media does tend to wallow in the social or outlandish stories instead of the ones that really matter. I say bring back the Walter Cronkite days.

That being said, Whitney and others have had at least a marginal impact on many of the reader's youths on this forum-much like the comics. The loss, while tragic, was also quite preventable.

You know with all the famous people that die each year of drug releated use. You would think instead of talking about how great their lives were. The media would instead take this time to show the "true" effects of illegal drug use to our children and use these tragic events as a teachable moment. just my 2c

You know with all the famous people that die each year of drug releated use. You would think instead of talking about how great their lives were. The media would instead take this time to show the "true" effects of illegal drug use to our children and use these tragic events as a teachable moment. just my 2c

I agree 100%

I agree 100%

I agree 200% :sumo: