• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Eerie #1 Expert Needed
4 4

246 posts in this topic

15 hours ago, CDNComix said:

To me, the big three big comic stories invloving a known infamous fake edition are the: Eerie ashcan, Cerebus #1 and Love and Rockets #1. The CGC currently certifies two of the the three. Why not the third and by far most important book?

In addition, they do a pretty good job navigating the world of undergrounds and all of the printings, corresponding tells and changes with regard to information over time. I would have thought certifying undergrounds would be too small pototes and high risk for the CGC to bother and yet they do. To do a proper job of certifying an underground, the certifying company has to drill down and first determine which printing is the book they are about to grade and certify. It does not help us (ug collectors) if they grade a copy of "Big A*s Comix #1" without identfying which printing it is (tricky to do), so they do and label it as such.

A member of another forum, recently disciovered the real first printing of "Collected Cheech Wizard" nearly fourty years since it was published in the first underground collecting guide. Our collecting community is not up in arms that the CGC has been certifying second printings as first printings up to this point. We recognize that they have been doing the best they can will the most current infomation available to them. There so many examples of "undergrounds" certified by the CGC that have been misidentified and are basically encapuslated mislabelled mistakes that all of the world can see. The underground community does not care because it understands the challenge, so why should the CGC fear the risk with regard to the ashcan?

The other two non-CGCs also certify undergrounds and they are a disaster maybe not grading wise, but defintiely when it comes to the identification of the edition/printing. Zap Comix #2 as a true print (miscut heads edition) is worth hundreds and second edition is worth $20. Both of the "others" fail miserably with making this discinction with their certified Zap #2s. So it does not surprise me that one of them is now certifying the ashcan but not providing all of the information on the label. They are purposely "greying out" the issue.

If the CGC are to cerify any comic, then they have perform restoration checks (deos the book have colour touch-ups, expert restoration, was it trimmed). I would have thought this would be more challenging to them (has the book been altered for the sake of a higher grade) than a side-by-side comparsion of a ashcan candiate to a master file copy.

The fake TMNT #1's come to mind not Love and Rockets

1 hour ago, Stevemmg said:

Given that the man who was in charge of CGC that made the decision not to grade Eerie 1 ashcans is now the man in charge there, I have to think he’s learned more about properly identifying them. I owe him a call anyway, so I’ll ask. 

Captain America has everyone who’s anyone on speed dial…:popcorn:

33A1C545-A08B-40E5-9178-94A30E8BB554.gif.575265a1b1396117a91affe90ab608c9.gif

76CE1906-F924-45EE-A0C1-457DF7F04E41.gif.d15647c83332cb4e2415811505c755fe.gif

Ask him if they are slabbing blue staple counterfeits as well…:baiting:

A60D3CA1-25F5-4C23-AD4B-E286F59D0308.gif.5c79748131956eff539bfde5647c253b.gif

50 minutes ago, wombat said:

Just wanted to have this for reference. Closest I will ever get. 

IMG_3825.JPG

What is it you have? A known replica? Tell us more! 

57 minutes ago, wombat said:

Just a photocopy version. 

Gotcha. Was wondering because the off white stock made it look like it had some age to it. It also looks to be around the right size too. From eBay?

On 6/17/2021 at 8:55 PM, Stevemmg said:

Given that the man who was in charge of CGC that made the decision not to grade Eerie 1 ashcans is now the man in charge there, I have to think he’s learned more about properly identifying them. I owe him a call anyway, so I’ll ask. 

I'd be interested in finding out what he has to say...    

I was playing around and marking off the staple positions on the various examples of the Eerie ashcan ("first" printings) on HA. Refer to the 4 examples in top row. I also marked the certified edition due auction this month next to the Bill Pearson's copy on the bottom row. Surpisingly there is no consistant postioning between the copies (top staple placement, bottom staple placement or position between the staples).

Oddly the certified copy (bottom left) seems to match an equally too good to be true (condition) book that sold on HA last year in 2020 (top right).

If these copies are real representatives, then we are looking at hand stapled book.

I did not make an equally lousy comparasion of the blue staple "second" printing, but from my eye, the images of the examples I have on file seem to have a consistant position.

Annotation 2021-08-15 121230.jpg

Edited by CDNComix

On 8/15/2021 at 9:22 AM, CDNComix said:

I was playing around and marking off the staple positions on the various examples of the Eerie ashcan ("first" printings) on HA. Refer to the 4 examples in top row. I also marked the certified edition due auction this month next to the Bill Pearson's copy on the bottom row. Surpisingly there is no consistant postioning between the copies (top staple placement, bottom staple placement or position between the staples).

Oddly the certified copy (bottom left) seems to match an equally too good to be true (condition) book that sold on HA last year in 2020 (top right).

If these copies are real representatives, then we are looking at hand stapled book.

I did not make an equally lousy comparasion of the blue staple "second" printing, but from my eye, the images of the examples I have on file seem to have a consistant position.

Annotation 2021-08-15 121230.jpg

That might put some credibility to the story that Warren wanted to push the first prints out quickly to establish the copyright. Also for the 2nd prints that they were indeed printed at the Warren facility by a employee as was  presumed.