• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Show off your first OA purchase!

94 posts in this topic

My first inks were from the Last Stand of the Wreckers, just after I finished collecting almost all of the comics, I found out you could own art, so after missing out on the first few auctions, I got this:

LSoTW_3_13.JPG

Blueline inked by John "Waki" Wycough from Tsunami Studios. However, I didn't get my first piece of what I would call original art until a con and got this from Coollines I believe:

TF%2044_3x2.jpg

I found out about the hobby in pretty much the same way. I read the 12 issue Squadron Supreme series as a kid and was blown away by it. I loved the huge fights and twisting plot and was shocked when main characters died fighting eachother. I heard that Heritage was auctioning off abunch of the pages so I got lucky and won a bunch of pages. This was the first page I won. Now I have a collection of almost 200 pages and theres no looking back.

SquadronSupremeissue7pg6.jpg

my first page !!! brings me back 25 years ago !!!!! Bought along with two sweet Zeck Cap pages sold last year at Fred's oldest and greatest comic shop in Paris....

This is still a favorite of mine and a page that raises a lot of inquiries ...!!!

Amzing heroes #59

ZeckSplashSecretWarsAdd.jpg

In 2007, while I was looking for some out-of-print books on eBay, I saw this John Romita Jr page listed, bade on it and won it... :insane:

Before this page, I didn't even know you could buy original comic art... ;)

It's still the first page in my collected art portfolio, a keeper for me.

ASM-2-tt.jpg

Back in 1996 or 1997 OA started to make a regular appearance in the comic books section of eBay (before it got subdivided in it's own category).

At the time, the issue this page appeared in was $30-$40 for a "mint" copy. So, the $97 dollars or so this page was going for seemed like a good deal. Comic for $30 or original page from the same comic for $100? The choice was easy.

Unfortunately it didn't go that cheaply and I had to shell out $130 to bring this beauty home. I'll never forget sniping this that Sunday night, around 9pm :cloud9:

Still have it :cloud9::cloud9:

122285.jpg.491b4ace52c3ea341a0c2f4e558a92f0.jpg

THe 1st page in my permanent collection was this one. It got me going down the path to focus almost exclusively on covers and splashes. Way back when I bought it off eBay it cost about $260. I always loved John Buscema's run on the Avengers and when I saw this one I knew I had to have it.

Buscema Splash

Would you take $265 for it now? :wishluck: :wishluck:

Very cool page! (thumbs u

I bought this last week. Astonishing X-Men 32 page 21 by Phil Jimenez and Andy Lanning. I've almost got the entire issue in O/A.

KGrHqMOKpIE6S2q3JM9BOl1TgV5Q60_3.jpg

Maybe I'm misreading, but that was your first page that you bought last week and you already almost have the complete issue? WOW!

Malvin

THe 1st page in my permanent collection was this one. It got me going down the path to focus almost exclusively on covers and splashes. Way back when I bought it off eBay it cost about $260. I always loved John Buscema's run on the Avengers and when I saw this one I knew I had to have it.

Buscema Splash

Would you take $265 for it now? :wishluck: :wishluck:

Very cool page! (thumbs u

ha ha. for this one, you would have to talk to my wife or son after my death !

I bought this last week. Astonishing X-Men 32 page 21 by Phil Jimenez and Andy Lanning. I've almost got the entire issue in O/A.

KGrHqMOKpIE6S2q3JM9BOl1TgV5Q60_3.jpg

Maybe I'm misreading, but that was your first page that you bought last week and you already almost have the complete issue? WOW!

Malvin

Yes, I bought this one. Then, the seller found another one (mislabeled as issue #31) in his inventory. Next, one popped up on eBay. Lastly, Spencer Beck finally decided to check his inventory and realized he had more pages in stock from issue #32 than he initially guessed. I think I'm only missing four of them (and the cover) and two are showcased on CAF.

It was 1988 and I was visiting Sydney when I walked into a comic shop (The Land Beyond Beyond) and saw my first ever examples of original comic art for sale framed on the walls of the shop. They included the splash page by Marshall Rogers to his first Daughters of the Dragon story (in Deadly Hands of Kung-Fu) and a Paul Gulacy splash page from Sabre.

I agonized over paying the $150.00 for the Marshall Rogers splash page and left without purchasing it. However, after I returned to Canberra where I was living at the time, I called the store and purchased the page. I haven't looked back since :)

rogers1.jpg

It was 1988 and I was visiting Sydney when I walked into a comic shop (The Land Beyond Beyond) and saw my first ever examples of original comic art for sale framed on the walls of the shop. They included the splash page by Marshall Rogers to his first Daughters of the Dragon story (in Deadly Hands of Kung-Fu) and a Paul Gulacy splash page from Sabre.

I agonized over paying the $150.00 for the Marshall Rogers splash page and left without purchasing it. However, after I returned to Canberra where I was living at the time, I called the store and purchased the page. I haven't looked back since :)

rogers1.jpg

Awesome !!!! :golfclap:

Hey Romain,

Glad you liked the Marshall Rogers piece! :) Best,

Royd

Awesome !!!! :golfclap: