• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Show off your first OA purchase!

94 posts in this topic

THe 1st page in my permanent collection was this one. It got me going down the path to focus almost exclusively on covers and splashes. Way back when I bought it off eBay it cost about $260. I always loved John Buscema's run on the Avengers and when I saw this one I knew I had to have it.

Buscema Splash

Would you take $265 for it now? :wishluck: :wishluck:

Very cool page! (thumbs u

ha ha. for this one, you would have to talk to my wife or son after my death !

hm .......................... :devil:

First original artwork I bought was Al Feldstein's complete 8-page story art for "7 Year Old Genius!" from WEIRD FANTASY # 7, which I paid $484.00 for (early 1982).

I traded the artwork away a number of years ago, as myinterests shifted more towards cover examples, hence the lack of a scan . . .

First original artwork I bought was Al Feldstein's complete 8-page story art for "7 Year Old Genius!" from WEIRD FANTASY # 7, which I paid $484.00 for (early 1982).

I traded the artwork away a number of years ago, as myinterests shifted more towards cover examples, hence the lack of a scan . . .

WOW! That's a great pickup... hopefully the story is still all in one place

I bought my first two pages on the same day, so it's hard to say which came first :)

Purchased both somewhere near the end of 2003 :

Dave Cockrum - Original Cover Recreation for X-Men #145 (Dr. Doom defeats the X-men)

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=317241&GSub=90350

John Buscema - Marvel Treasury Edition #28 (Dr. Doom mocks Superman)

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=317237&GSub=49418

Oh and it was over 4 years before I bought another page... :eek:

The first piece of art I bought was an Eddy Newell sketch back in the 90's but I lost it in a hurricane shortly afterwards.

I didn't buy any other art until a few years ago when I commissioned Derec Donovan to draw Connor Hawke fighting Karate Kid of the Legion of Superheroes.

Derec had drawn that Connor Hawke miniseries and I dug his art. I had become a huge Legion fan and since Connor was supposed to be a great martial artist I had him fight the best martial artist of all in Val Armorr.

Right after I paid for it I was thinking about getting more commissions of other Legionnaires meeting/fighting other characters from various comics. But then when I saw what Derec had drawn for me I was inspired to instead just get lots more commissions of Karate Kid fighting other characters.

Now I have almost sixty "Karate Kid vs." commissions and my collection is still growing!

I remember finding Splash Page Art and pouring over the sight for days. Anything of Adlards with zombies was out of my reach and most of the good stuff had been plucked anyways. I picked this page because Andrea was/is my favorite character at the time and to see she was still in action made me "YES!!!" out loud. Then she kicks some MF'in A.

AdlardWD44Pg16.jpg

My very first piece of OA was this ALEX ROSS page from Marvels #1. It cost me $250.00 (Ahh, those were the days. . .). This was before Sal was Alex's rep.

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=584090&GSub=91132

I remember way back when when Marvels was just released and Alex Ross came to a small comic show in Milwaukee and had a bunch of art for sale at very low prices like that but I hadn't started collecting art yet and even then the cost of $300-400 per page seemed really high...but I did get him to autograph my copy of Marvels! Heh. Oh well...

Jay

I remember finding Splash Page Art and pouring over the sight for days. Anything of Adlards with zombies was out of my reach and most of the good stuff had been plucked anyways. I picked this page because Andrea was/is my favorite character at the time and to see she was still in action made me "YES!!!" out loud. Then she kicks some MF'in A.

AdlardWD44Pg16.jpg

:luhv:

A couple years ago in Montreal, I had dinner with Darwyn Cooke, Mike Allred, Cameron Stewart, the guys running the convention and a bunch of friends.

Darwyn Cooke said he was very sad he wasn't going to get a chance to get Schwartz Montreal smoked meat while he was there.

The next day I brought him, his wife, and Mr and Mrs Allred Schwartz for lunch. Darwyn was so pleased he gave me this sketch out of his book. It's what got me started on OA.

Darwyn%20Cooke%20Catwoman.JPG

Yeah, that is one OA that will stay in your collection no matter what price. Well, maybe a price. But you know what I mean.

I'm having a lot of fun looking at everyone's art. You know you found a hobby you enjoy when each page you buy has the same amount of excitement as the first one you ever purchased!

WOW! That's a great pickup... hopefully the story is still all in one place

Hey, thanks, good to see someone else appreciate the pivotal importance of Al Feldstein's entry into the comic-book field!

No idea if the story is still intact, certainly I traded it as a complete entity.

In the following Russ Cochran EC artwork auction, I bought Jack Davis's complete 8-page story "Mud!" and Feldstein's 8 -pager, "The Origin of the Species!". I subsequently traded-away both of these and, sadly, both were broken-up on re-sale . . .

I started with a bang with my first OA purchase. It was 1980 at the San Diego convention, and me and my buddy Richard Martines were cruising along the back wall and came upon a guy by the name of Sandy Blatt with a whole table of incredible originals. Mostly Wrightson and Adams originals. After much contemplation, I walked away with the cover to Strange Adventures #211 (Deadman) by Adams and two pages from Weird Western Tales featuring El Diablo, with pencils by Adams and inks by Wrightson. The Deadman was $300 and the El Diablo pages were $150 for the pair. Good times. Of course in my foolish youth, I somehow sold all three of these pieces for various reasons. Somehow, they have all managed to wind up in Albert Moys collection. Wish I at least had scans of them!

Scott Williams

I started with a bang with my first OA purchase. It was 1980 at the San Diego convention, and me and my buddy Richard Martines were cruising along the back wall and came upon a guy by the name of Sandy Blatt with a whole table of incredible originals. Mostly Wrightson and Adams originals. After much contemplation, I walked away with the cover to Strange Adventures #211 (Deadman) by Adams and two pages from Weird Western Tales featuring El Diablo, with pencils by Adams and inks by Wrightson. The Deadman was $300 and the El Diablo pages were $150 for the pair. Good times. Of course in my foolish youth, I somehow sold all three of these pieces for various reasons. Somehow, they have all managed to wind up in Albert Moys collection. Wish I at least had scans of them!

Scott Williams

Ah, those were the days....

(I don't remember them, but I like to reminisce anyway)

Hola All,

In the old day of the Dallas Fantasy Fair Circa 1992, i attended a Harvey Awards auction. Those auctions were used to support he Harvey Awards and the yearly dinner.

Moebius was one of the guests at the show and donated 4 pieces - 4 water color paintings.

I won the first one at 200. I won the 2nd one at 275. I lost the third one at 325. I lost the last one at 400.

However knowing the owner of the 4th one, he offered me the art as part of deal we completed a few years later.

Here are the 1st, 2nd and 4th pieces from the auction. The third is on CAF, but I can't remember the owner's name.

DFW Fantasy Fair Moebius Piece 1

DFW Fantasty Fair Moebius Piece 2

DFW Fanstasy Fair Piece 4

DFW Fantasy Fair 3rd Piece (NOT owned by me)

Back in 1993, I worked in a comic shop called Cosmic Comics and we would occasionally have guest appearances by artists, writers and other comic related personalities.

The first sketch I every got was from Bob Hall when he made an appearance in the store. He had just released Shadowman #15, which showed our store in one of the panels!

Bob Hall Shadowman sketch

The first piece I ever purchased was a Spawn page (the first of many!) by Tony Daniel featuring the character Cy-Gor. I bought it off eBay back when I first discovered the site in 1998 or so.

Spawn 42 page 22

Scott Williams

Russ Cochran bought up the Sandy Blatt collection during the early 1980s.

I bought a Neal Adams Superman cover for $75 (which probably originated from that collection), which I later sold. For a while, I regretted selling that Adams, but later on I bought a really nice Tomahawk cover that I much prefer to the Supes.