• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ROUND 11: Guess The Grade

69 posts in this topic

ffb,

OK, here's how it goes. Say you got a real nice copy, 9.6 Defenders #10, and your sitting on about ten or 20 of these babies, raw or slabbed - doesn't matter. Market price might be $150-200. You list the CGC 9.6 and have your friendly shill bid it up $350-500, selling it to yourself if you have to. Do this 5 times in the year, and Overstreet notes the increase, CBG notes the sales, and at the end of the year Overstreet raises the guide price, or better yet, talks about how hot the book is in its monthly market sheet.

Bingo - you have raiised the value of the books you own. Now extrapolate this technique to some real comers AF15, TOS39, JIM83, and you see what I'm getting at. Hell, your shills can even be "legitimate businessmen", like Tony Soprano, fer instance.

Whaddya, whaddya? Who's Metro btw?

smirk.gif

I know how the theory goes and everyone knows about dealers whose market reports contain self-serving statements about how "hot" certain books are when the dealer has them lying around in bulk. I was wondering where you had seen Metro do this. I was asking about specifics, not a generality that many dealers have been accused of.

Rather than hijack Nikos' grading thread though, let's start a new one with your response, if any.

Even if the missing ink at the LLC is a production defect, there is some minor blunting there, as well as what appears to be a slight spine crease at the bottom of the lower staple. The spine overall is harder to judge, as it is white, but I'm going to go with my gut and say

Quick judgement call until I have time to look more closely or in case I forget to do so -- 9.4

Is that a tiny color breaking crease or scan/slab artifcact on the RHS just under the SS's board?

Yo nikos... could you clarify for us if that's a crease or just something in the scan or slab?

Quick judgement call until I have time to look more closely or in case I forget to do so -- 9.4

Is that a tiny color breaking crease or scan/slab artifcact on the RHS just under the SS's board?

Yo nikos... could you clarify for us if that's a crease or just something in the scan or slab?

YO

No crease on the right, and printing defect on the left.