• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A GREAT time to collect/read modern comics

45 posts in this topic

I believe that we are enjoying a comic renaissance. I quit collecting about 15 years ago. 90's comics left a sour taste in my mouth. Only recently did I start reading comics again. Unfortunately, it is rare for a significant number of titles to have great art and great writing. In my opinion, there are tons of books that are doing that right now. I want to hear what comics you are reading, collecting, investing your hard earned money in and why. If you disagree with my conclusion that we are enjoying a renaissance in comics, please tell me why. Also, I am interested in hearing people's opions about the increasing influence of comics on popular culture. Comic culture is explored on multiple television shows (e.g., Comic Book Men and to a lesser extent Attack of the Show) and comic book characters are now routinely cleaning up on the big and small screen (e.g., Walking Dead, Batman, and innumerable other titles). All responses are appreciated.

I forgot to mention that Morgan Spurlock (sp?) is doing a documentary film on comic-con. Morgan Spurlock is arguably the most sucessful documentary film maker on the planet (you may remember him from such films as Super Size Me).

I read a lot of tpbs and go for #1's and first appearances. I haven't got into OA yet, but have been shopping it. I think if I could get premium pages I would be happy to jump on them, but I haven't had the courage to invest in new OA. I haven't read Y the Last Man. What is it comparable to? Also, I imagine that you being drawn back to moderns is that there is so much good stuff being put out right now. It's hard to say no. Thanks for your input.

I am amazed at how cheap you can get full runs of comics (e.g., I paid $2.00 an issue for a full run of the boys). Sometime its cheaper than tpbs or it just makes more sense to get a full run rather than getting beat up on shipping for tpbs with Amazon and elsewhere.

I read a lot of tpbs and go for #1's and first appearances. I haven't got into OA yet, but have been shopping it. I think if I could get premium pages I would be happy to jump on them, but I haven't had the courage to invest in new OA. I haven't read Y the Last Man. What is it comparable to? Also, I imagine that you being drawn back to moderns is that there is so much good stuff being put out right now. It's hard to say no. Thanks for your input.

I'm about the same with Moderns, read the TBs and pick up the key books.

Y the Last man, it's pretty cool, it's about some apocalypse virus that kills every live male on the planet...minus one guy and his male monkey. It' only 60 issues long or 10 TBs and I found it to be a pretty good read.

As for Modern stuff, ya, I believe they've been putting out some decent stuff. Obviously I like The Walking Dead and Locke & Key which is by Joe Hill aka Steven King's son. Then you have stuff like Chew and Fatale etc.

I really enjoyed Locke and Key. It's a shame that the TV show didn't go anywhere. I'm really excited by the possibility of a Chew TV Show. I didn't really enjoy The Boys much. It's a shame that the movie got dumped. I loved Powers. Really hope that FX invests more cash and the TV show makes it. I marvel at the number of comic related TV shows and film that have been made. Most people don't even recognize the number of TV shows, books and films that are borrowed or comparable to comics (e.g., Once Upon a Time and Fables, Book of Magic and Harry Potter, etc.). I hope that Hollywood takes a look at Luther Strode. I think John Heater whould be perfect for Luther Strode and I think he likes comics (at the very least he recognizes the importance of comics from his appearance on the Talking Dead). I am also very happy about Comic Book Men. Regardless of anyone's opinion about Kevin Smith, his TV Show should do a lot to increase interest in comics among the general public. The other thing I forgot to mention is how much comics have influenced video games. I'll be shocked if we don't see a huge surge in the number of collectors in the next few years. Spiderman, GI Joe and the Avengers will all be huge hits at the box office.

The renaisannce is more in terms of non-super hero and non-DC & Marvel books.

I know many would argue that the DC reboot is contrary to my statement. But I believe it was a blip on the scene and won't have lasting effects.

Pat

I really enjoyed Locke and Key. It's a shame that the TV show didn't go anywhere. I'm really excited by the possibility of a Chew TV Show. I didn't really enjoy The Boys much. It's a shame that the movie got dumped. I loved Powers. Really hope that FX invests more cash and the TV show makes it. I marvel at the number of comic related TV shows and film that have been made. Most people don't even recognize the number of TV shows, books and films that are borrowed or comparable to comics (e.g., Once Upon a Time and Fables, Book of Magic and Harry Potter, etc.). I hope that Hollywood takes a look at Luther Strode. I think John Heater whould be perfect for Luther Strode and I think he likes comics (at the very least he recognizes the importance of comics from his appearance on the Talking Dead). I am also very happy about Comic Book Men. Regardless of anyone's opinion about Kevin Smith, his TV Show should do a lot to increase interest in comics among the general public. The other thing I forgot to mention is how much comics have influenced video games. I'll be shocked if we don't see a huge surge in the number of collectors in the next few years. Spiderman, GI Joe and the Avengers will all be huge hits at the box office.

Rumor has it Fox has to or get off the pot with Locke & Key...if they don't Joe Hill gets the rights or something like that. Y the Last Man supposed to have a movie deal but it hasn't gained traction in a couple years.

That great news about Locke & Key. I'll probably pick up some key issues of that title now (I read it in TPB). Any advise about what a fair price is for key issues (raw and/or CGC) or about what the key issues are? Thanks for the tip!

That great news about Locke & Key. I'll probably pick up some key issues of that title now (I read it in TPB). Any advise about what a fair price is for key issues (raw and/or CGC) or about what the key issues are? Thanks for the tip!

I've gotten every issue raw NM for $5, except the first one, over the summer.

The only two that should cost any money is the first mini issues issue 1 and 2.

I think $50 and $15 is probably fair for 1 & 2. I was talking to some comic dealer friends of mine and they said Locke & Key has really died off for them, so much so they don't bother trying to find copies to sell anymore at conventions.

1 may take some looking though, it took me 2 months to find mine, mostly just because the only ones I could find were $75-$100, which I think is far, far to much.

Now, don't automatically discount the Big Two. There are the random Marvel and DC titles that are simply excellent these days:

* X-Factor (Start with the Madrox "Multiple Choice" mini-series from 2004 that started the current run by Peter David)

* Batgirl (While I'm thoroughly enjoying the current Batgirl by Gail Simone, probably my favorite title of the NuDC, I was absolutely loving Bryan Q. Miller's Batgirl run prior to the current incarnation. Issue 14's one-off team-up with Supergirl was my favorite of the run. Hilarity from start to finish.)

* Uncanny X-Force (Being praised ad naseum at this point. I'm new to the series myself, but I have to agree with everyone else's assessment - one of Marvel's best in years.)

* Daredevil (Bendis's run was thoroughly enjoyable, reigniting Ol' Hornhead's popularity. But Brubaker's run following Bendis starting with Issue 82 knocked the series out of the park.)

* Marvel Adventure titles (Especially the Avengers and "Super-Heroes" ones. Don't be fooled thinking these are just for kids. They are on par with the regular universe titles, if not exceeding them. Old school fun these.)

* Marvel Ultimate Universe series (The four new relaunched series last year for the Ultimate universe have been one of the most pleasant surprises of 2011, especially the new Ultimate Spider-Man series. NuDC pales in comparison.)

Outside of the Big Two:

* Life With Archie (I never would have guessed I'd be an Archie fan a couple of years ago. But with Archie becoming the unexpected trendsetter of the industry lately, I've become a convert. This magazine-sized series though caught me completely by surprise with how well-written and produced it is, featuring stories with more adult themes than the regular Archie universe.)

*. Invincible (The "other" Kirkman tentpole title. Completely overshadowed by TWD, but one of the best super-hero titles on the market since it premiered back in 2003.)

Ive read most modern age comics. Can anyone give me a good series that has ended so I can read. Im leaning towards Ex Machina after I finish reading a novel (need a novel/comic balance)
Fade From Blue is one of my favorites. Only ten issues long and cheap to buy.

Stumptown is another good one but I don't know if prices are still inflated on that one. It's one of the moderns that got hot when it first came out.

Ive read most modern age comics. Can anyone give me a good series that has ended so I can read. Im leaning towards Ex Machina after I finish reading a novel (need a novel/comic balance)
Fade From Blue is one of my favorites. Only ten issues long and cheap to buy.

Stumptown is another good one but I don't know if prices are still inflated on that one. It's one of the moderns that got hot when it first came out.

Fade to Blue looks interesting. Hope I can find it in my LCS or bookstore. Thanks! :)

If you haven't already... read Proof! It's really unfortunate that the title/series had to end the way it did, but it was an excellent excellent read.

I agree with the OP regarding the fact that this is a really great time in modern comics... I was out for a few years and heard the argument in 2000 or so that things were really turning around. The first new comic I picked up was Savage Dragon, and that got me right back in the swing of things.

I'm still having real trouble getting on the Kirkman bandwagon, but even so there are so many great things out there. I agree with dane323 about Daredevil as well... Bendis -> Brubaker was fantastic. The current Waid run is fine... enjoyable and different... but I still like the darker feel that the comic had before the relaunch better. He also mentioned X-Factor, which I was really digging, but I got tired of it around the time the renumbered (again) with... 200? I dropped the series and sold my run at that point.

Jeff Smith's RASL is one of my favorite books maybe over... it's almost finished, and from what I understand the movie rights have already been picked up.

I also thought Aaron's PunisherMAX book was a really great read...

Usagi is always solid too...

And I wish I could say the current TMNT series is great, but... just not there yet.