• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Most Overpriced/Undervalued Modern?

260 posts in this topic

After the recent discussion of the strong sales of New Mutants 98 raw for $100 and CGC copies for $300 plus, I've been thinking: What is the most overpriced and/or underpriced modern with strong sales? There are a lot of contenders ... what's your opinion?

I guess I should start the discussion. I think that the most overpriced/overvalued modern comic is the Vengeance of Bane. As far as the most undervalued modern, I say Luther Strode 1. I've really enjoyed this series. I've enjoyed it as much as I enjoyed the first six issues of Chew. I also think that GI Joe 1 and Transformers 1 are undervalued. I don't read either series, but I'm confident that Hollywood will continue to remake these movies until I am an old man. This is a hard question and I'm going to have to give more thought to this question. That's why I think it will be a fun discussion.

New Mutants 98 is by far the most overvalued book out there. I still find these in dollar bins. That's how many are out there. :P

Where? And you haven't retired yet? Sure, mistakes happen, I have pulled multiple copies of Hulk 341, NYX 3 and NTT #2 out of dollar boxes as well. 341 is a stumper though because that never got worthless or overlooked.

In all seriousness, last one of these I pulled out of a dollar bin was quickly yanked out of the pile 'o dollar books by the dealer who said "sorry, this shouldn't have been in there." I did whine at him when he tried to pull 87 back out as well, but wound up getting it for a buck when he relented.

I'll agree though, I'm pretty sure I saw these in the cheap-o boxes 5-10 years ago, or at least the $2 boxes. I'm suspecting not so much $1 boxes because otherwise I should have a bunch of copies and I don't and I actually buy the Liefield NM stuff when it is really sharp and $1 or less. Dunno why. Some sort of weird 90's time warp my brain goes through, same reason why I used to buy a lot of those MCP Guardians of the Galaxy and 70's Deathlok books.

New Mutants 98 is by far the most overvalued book out there. I still find these in dollar bins. That's how many are out there. :P

Big time, just like another poster said, if you burn 80%, it would still not be rare!

it would have to fight Vengance of Bane for that honor

if there's a demand it doesn't matter if there is 200k copies because they won't all show up on ebay at the same time. Who knows how many still exist after so long. Quite a few may have ended up in the shredder or returned with ripped covers for a credit.

I dunno about that, NM 98 was actually a semi-hot book pretty immediately...but in those days we're talking $5 and it was considered a breakout from the other Liefield NM books except 87. there are plenty of copies, the print-run was probably around 80-150K (Liefield likes to say the print-run was under 80K when he took over the title or close to and at that point marvel stopped distributing a title to newstands). so.....compared to ASm or X-men or Wolverine of that date, it is much less common, compared to a third tier DC title, not so much.

With that said, my guide from 2008-2009 lists it as the same $5 as the other Liefield issues. Crazy.

What i'm saying is that I don't think many copies were destroyed.

i always thought V of Bane wasent that plentiful. i remember when it came out it was one of the numerous bat tie ins that come out monthly. it only got interesting later when he became a main character. im surprised it sold alot initially cause no one knew who he was

The Vengeance of Bane was published at a time when books that were doing 200,000 copies a month were being canceled. I'd be shocked if there aren't 100,000 - 150,000 copies of that book. If anyone can tell us what the print run is, please let me know.

chew #1. i've been wrong about this one but when the series ends this book will be quickly forgotten and these hundreds and hundreds of 9.8's will sell for <$50. there will be likely another spike if the tv show gets on and then i'd short this all day long (if that were possible)

chew #1. i've been wrong about this one but when the series ends this book will be quickly forgotten and these hundreds and hundreds of 9.8's will sell for <$50. there will be likely another spike if the tv show gets on and then i'd short this all day long (if that were possible)

I don't know about <$50, but I certainly think that they will be nowhere near what they're selling for now (yes, it pains me to say this because I love Chew and am certainly collecting the set/spending a fair amount on the books). I'm glad I got in at a lower price point at least. I am confident that I will "lose" money on my run, although I don't intend to sell any of my run besides extras. That being said...

I've been seeing Chew 1 9.8 SS's selling for $700 on eBay. I think that I could score a DKR #1 SS by Frank Miller for about that price. I know which of these two I'd rather have. I can tell you this: if a Chew 9.8 SS #1s passes $1000, I will be selling mine for sure. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see the book be successful and maintain collectability, but, barring a show (and even with a show), I don't know why Chew 1s should be selling for THAT much more than YTLM #1s, Sandman #1s, etc.

Yes, I know that print runs matter, but consider this: the print run for YTLM 1 was 14,200. Yes, Chew 1 had a print run of 5,250, but I'd argue that it's easier to find a 9.8 or better Chew than YTLM. There are certainly more Chew 1s at 9.8 or higher in the census (250+ compared to about 90) and I've generally had better luck finding raw Chews that are in better shape than YTLMs.

Look- you're not going to find a bigger Chew fan than me (not true. There's the guy with the Chog tattoo, Branget, and Dom would certainly make an argument about that). While I want to put together a sweet run, I think the prices now are :screwy:

Mike- you might not be able to short Chew, but I bet there's a certain Canadian that might make a friendly wager with you about the price per issue in the future...

My 2c