• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Most Overpriced/Undervalued Modern?

260 posts in this topic

Au contraire, most comic book collectors who do collect slabs also collect raw books (or TPBs) so that they can read the books contained in the slabs. That doesn't change the fact that slabs are collected as just that: slabs. I don't know too many collectors who pay top dollar for a 9.8 and then crack the slab so they can read it.

Any time a book commands a premium in the slab, then the slab is part of the equation. To crack the slab is to devalue the item itself, so book remains slabbed. This makes it a commodity, not reading material.

The slab is nothing more than one form of piece of mind. This is especially important in the modern age, where tons and tons of internet transactions are taking place and restoration is running rampant.

But that's all it is, peace of mind and it doesn't have to come from a CGC slab. I don't know if you recall a couple months ago a someone posted an Ebay listing where the seller of an AF15 included a 10 minute video. In it he went through the entire comic page by page, covering every defect and giving his assessments along the way. It was done very intelligently and in a professional manner. That AF15 easily closed at what a slabbed AF15 of the same grade normally goes for.

I've heard this "piece of mind" argument before...and I would buy into it if the people that were buying the slabs were doing so SOLELY to be sure that they are getting what they are paying for (in this case, a certain book in a certain grade). In this scenario, though, once you receive the book, the slab itself no longer serves a purpose. And yet...how often do people crack slabs once they get them? I'd venture to guess that less than 5% of slabs get cracked once the transaction is completed. For the rest, the label and the number grade assigned to the book are as much a product as the book itself.

Au contraire, most comic book collectors who do collect slabs also collect raw books (or TPBs) so that they can read the books contained in the slabs. That doesn't change the fact that slabs are collected as just that: slabs. I don't know too many collectors who pay top dollar for a 9.8 and then crack the slab so they can read it.

Any time a book commands a premium in the slab, then the slab is part of the equation. To crack the slab is to devalue the item itself, so book remains slabbed. This makes it a commodity, not reading material.

The slab is nothing more than one form of piece of mind. This is especially important in the modern age, where tons and tons of internet transactions are taking place and restoration is running rampant.

But that's all it is, peace of mind and it doesn't have to come from a CGC slab. I don't know if you recall a couple months ago a someone posted an Ebay listing where the seller of an AF15 included a 10 minute video. In it he went through the entire comic page by page, covering every defect and giving his assessments along the way. It was done very intelligently and in a professional manner. That AF15 easily closed at what a slabbed AF15 of the same grade normally goes for.

I've heard this "piece of mind" argument before...and I would buy into it if the people that were buying the slabs were doing so SOLELY to be sure that they are getting what they are paying for (in this case, a certain book in a certain grade). In this scenario, though, once you receive the book, the slab itself no longer serves a purpose. And yet...how often do people crack slabs once they get them? I'd venture to guess that less than 5% of slabs get cracked once the transaction is completed. For the rest, the label and the number grade assigned to the book are as much a product as the book itself.

About as often as people throw away their certificate of authenticity when they purchase signed sports memorabilia. There's no reason to, and you only hurt yourself if you decide to sell it one day. Are they buying the autograph or the certificate? A slightest mishap can degrade a 9.8 comic, so what purpose would it serve to remove it from its protective case?

Why do people pay such a sharp premium for slabbed comics that present exceptionally well for the grade? It's the same label as any other, right?

I think you're assigning a bit too much of a divide between collectors and readers. The vast majority of collectors also read comics, and many (like myself) tend to collect the teams or characters that they like to read.

The prices of all comics that go up in value is driven by collectors (and/or speculators if you prefer). Otherwise who spends $100 and up for five minutes worth of reading? Why not just buy the trade paperback?

Since we are talking about rising prices and current prices well in excess of $100 I'm not sure why you would try to make your 1st point. You state that the prices of all comics go up because of collectors/speculators which is also what I commented on.

The fact that collectors drive up the price of collectibles isn't exactly a revelation. The point I was making is that you (seem to) be making a distinction between readers and collectors. The vast majority of collectors are also readers.

Agreed. Most collectors are also readers and I fall into that category. The only distinction I was looking to make was that both a slabbed #1 and a BW 95 are sought by collectors and not readers. The collector side of the collector/reader is the main motivation on those 2 books.

plenty of 9.8's but not plenty of WD #1's.

How does this make any sense...?

I understood it to say, 'Don't buy Walking Dead #1 in CGC 9.8 when you can find a beater copy for $35 and still say, "YES! I have Walking Dead #1!"'

where did i say beater copy? i didn't, so please don't mis represent what i said if you didn't understand it. next time, just ask me a question instead of being an . my copy is a 9.6 easy if i cgc'd it.

You said $35. What copy of Walking Dead #1 could be bought TODAY for $35?

Your advice was to avoid CGC 9.8 and get a cheaper copy. YOU said $35.

Don't call me an you 2006er. I was here when your mama was buying you second-hand diapers.

i never said anything about buying a copy today. please read better.

who cares how long you've been here? wtf kinda sentence was that? like i'm supposed to be in awe of you because you've been here since 2002? what a .

I understood it to say, 'Don't buy Walking Dead #1 in CGC 9.8 when you can find a beater copy for $35 and still say, "YES! I have Walking Dead #1!"'

where did i say beater copy? i didn't, so please don't mis represent what i said if you didn't understand it. next time, just ask me a question instead of being an . my copy is a 9.6 easy if i cgc'd it.

Don't call me an you 2006er. I was here when your mama was buying you second-hand diapers.

:o

hm

:popcorn:

Seniority. lol

Union rules. :ohnoez:

Really guys - it was just my stupid opinion that started this flame war. Let's put it out and be done with it. Again, my apologizes.

5060039660045.jpg

:cloud9:

Seniority. lol

Really guys - it was just my stupid opinion that started this flame war. Let's put it out and be done with it. Again, my apologizes.

Last time I checked, comics are exclusively sold in comic book stores...where comic books are marketed, first and foremost, as a collectible. The idea that all but 300 CGC 9.8 copies are in the hands of "readers" and not "collectors" is (wait for it, wait for it) ASININE.

I believe I said the CGC 9.8's were sought by collectors. To reverse this statement to say that all raw copies are owned by readers is illogical. Please take the time to understand this. To continue to view a discussion in this light is truly asinine.

Exactly. So, you clearly admit to the fact that collectors are not solely interested in CGC 9.8 copies of WD #1...and yet you want to compare the scarcity of the WD 94 B&W edition to the scarcity of WD1 in CGC 9.8. You are therefore acknowledging the fact that not all collectors need to have a CGC 9.8 copy, thereby substantially increasing the number of collectible copies of WD #1, and yet in the same sentence you want to use one small subsection of a print run of one book in comparison to the entire print run of another book. Not to mention the fact that the population of WD 1 CGC 9.8's could increase daily, while the number of collectible copies of WD 94 B&W is decidedly finite. As a result, your argument is inherently flawed.

Seniority. lol

Last time I checked, comics are exclusively sold in comic book stores...where comic books are marketed, first and foremost, as a collectible. The idea that all but 300 CGC 9.8 copies are in the hands of "readers" and not "collectors" is (wait for it, wait for it) ASININE.

I believe I said the CGC 9.8's were sought by collectors. To reverse this statement to say that all raw copies are owned by readers is illogical. Please take the time to understand this. To continue to view a discussion in this light is truly asinine.

Exactly. So, you clearly admit to the fact that collectors are not solely interested in CGC 9.8 copies of WD #1...and yet you want to compare the scarcity of the WD 94 B&W edition to the scarcity of WD1 in CGC 9.8. You are therefore acknowledging the fact that not all collectors need to have a CGC 9.8 copy, thereby substantially increasing the number of collectible copies of WD #1, and yet in the same sentence you want to use one small subsection of a print run of one book in comparison to the entire print run of another book. Not to mention the fact that the population of WD 1 CGC 9.8's could increase daily, while the number of collectible copies of WD 94 B&W is decidedly finite. As a result, your argument is inherently flawed.

There are 316 CGC 9.8 WD #1's. There are supposedly 200 of the 94 BW. End of supply comparison. the scarcity comparison is 316:200. I am not talking about collectible copies. The number of #1 9.8's may change. The total print run of the 94 may come to light. At that time the discussion would change. Right now 316:200. Nothing flawed. No debate. What's the problem?

Demand - I believe the source of your critique is how many want each book.

94 BW - I don't think readers care. I think collectors/speculators do. That includes collector/readers. Do all collectors care? Maybe??

#1 CGC 9.8. I don't think readers care. I think SOME collectors/speculators do. That includes SOME collector readers. Do all collectors care? Definitely not.

Is this to your satisfaction or do you want to continue the trend of adding things I never said?

I never said all collectors need a CGC 9.8. I said those that want them are collectors. See the difference?

who cares how long you've been here? wtf kinda sentence was that? like i'm supposed to be in awe of you because you've been here since 2002? what a .

You sir, need to take a class in humor.

I hear there's one at your local can't-tell-a-reference-to-second-hand-diapers-is-a-joke college.

(You should see their mascot. Disgusting.)