• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Looking Through Old Boxes

15 posts in this topic

Man, there is nothing better than looking through boxes of comics you've had in storage for some time. I just went through a box of keepers that were stored off-site this past year, and it was a blast. I had forgotten about some of the books, even though it's only been 1 year. :cloud9:

Has anyone else experienced this lately? It's fun storing books, 'forgetting' about them, and then rediscovering them.

Yeah, once a box showed up at my door with a Sarasota, FL return address. Inside were some books I vaguely remember having owned at one point or another. Apparently someone had seen fit to encase them in plastic or something. Based on the credit card receipt I found in there it had been close to a year earlier.

Anyway, I was happy with them.

Yeah, once a box showed up at my door with a Sarasota, FL return address. Inside were some books I vaguely remember having owned at one point or another. Apparently someone had seen fit to encase them in plastic or something. Based on the credit card receipt I found in there it had been close to a year earlier.

Someone's displeased... ;)

:signfunny:

Man, there is nothing better than looking through boxes of comics you've had in storage for some time. I just went through a box of keepers that were stored off-site this past year, and it was a blast. I had forgotten about some of the books, even though it's only been 1 year. :cloud9:

Has anyone else experienced this lately? It's fun storing books, 'forgetting' about them, and then rediscovering them.

Box of keepers, no less. That was probably fun!

None of my boxs are organised so when I get a chance to delve into them, it's always a joy. Down side, when. Want something I can never find it. (thumbs u

yes, as my boxes are now 4 deep up against the wall there is stuff I cannot get at that is trapoped back there that will surely result in some happy surprises when I move things around.

that is, unless, a family of mice has built a condominium retreat back there and I find a bunch of boxes with holes chewed through them.

This happened to me last year when I got back into the hobby and cracked open about seven long boxes that had been hanging out in my basement.But then I remembered I was collecting mostly in my late teens and twenties from about the early to late nineties. Most of the stuff ended up being Witchblade, Spawn, the Darkness and other image . There was a not particularly valuable but good Preacher run, some OK X-men books,etc. But certainly no, OMFG look at this awesome late 70's run of Byrne X-Men or look at this awesome early run of Neal Adams Batman and Detective books. :(

On the other hand it means I haven't quite reached my 40's yet so there's always a bright side. :)

I've been down that road before...

You get to the point where you totally forgot what you sent out...

Sometimes it's a bugger dealing with a Monopoly!

lol

When I was bagging and boarding a few months back I thought it was a blast to look through some of my comics - many I have not looked at in many years. Great feeling!

Been doing a lot of this, as I go through re-scanning all my comics at a higher resolution. (file sizes have changed a lot in 10 years!)

It's a big project, but the reward of handling those babies again, and re-reading one or two occasionally as I go through, is what I love about the hobby. Some of them bring back the memory of only having about 30 comics, and the slightly guilty feeling I had one June afternoon after I dug into my Jar Of Saved Allowance Money and spent a mad 15 dollars on 60-cent comics.

Happens to me every so often. I have boxes I have not went through for seven or eight years.

Of course when I do go through an old box, I see a sweet book and then "remember" it. But it is still a cool feeling.

The worst feeling is going through the "A's" boxes and not finding the book you are sure you have still. Too many places it could be hiding. Or, I just don't have it anymore. :(

As Voorhees said, this is what makes collecting so much fun. The memory and enjoyment of going through old boxes you had forgotten about.

I bought my house 12 years ago. Sometime during the move one of my buddies or a family member put a box in the top shelf of the closet in the share bedroom.

Last summer I decided I was going to paint that spare bedroom and found the box, way in the back of the closet. It wasn't a comic box, just a regular box that fit comics well. I thought, what is this? I opened it up and found a bunch of Fantastic Fours from number 198 to 268 if I recall correctly. Still in their old plastic bags and those flimsy grey backing boards we use to buy in the 1980s :D